I Did It All So Maybe I'd Live This Every Day

We’re Touching Hands

Gabriel’s POV

Time was going way too fast. Only an hour ago time was going way too slow. There was no winning. Sitting on that plane from France to Newark was the most painful time of my life. When Laura disappeared from France we knew that she had gone to another country. After searching the airport we found she had gone back to America. It wasn’t hard to stow away on the first flight out of France and back to America. When we got her we didn’t even bother to get a car we just ran. You would be amazed at how fast we run. I was relieved when we got here and found that neither of them was dead.
I was standing on Mikey’s lawn with him, he hadn’t even said anything to me but I was waiting. Frank had been bitten and I had just sent him off to be with the rest of our kind since he was now one of us. Two newborns in one year and I’m sure that’s not where it’s going to end with us, it’s just a hunch.

I turned around and walked into Mikey’s house where I started cleaning away everything. The walls were going to be hard to replace but I was sure I could do it before Ms. Way came back. It was about ten minutes later that Mikey came walking back in and I had the lounge back to the way it was except the broken walls and the blood on the carpet. When Mikey dropped down into the couch I was about to go and sit next to him and then noticed the amount of blood on his face. I got a damp cloth before I went to sit down beside him. When I handed it to him he didn’t look at me he just took it and started whipping his face. We sat there in silence as he cleaned himself up.

“Are you going to change me?” Mikey asked sullenly but didn’t turn to look at me.

“I don’t want to” I replied just as sadly. I knew he wanted to be changed. Who wouldn’t once your brother and best friend had been? All Mikey had left was his mother and me that he could see. He didn’t see his mother anyway and I was already a vampire, what a great life he was living at least he was living.

“Why not?” he now turned and looked at me with tears running down his cheeks.

“Because you have a choice” I turned my face away from him. I couldn’t look at him knowing I was the cause of his tears.

“And I choose it” he replied placing a hand on my shoulder. I must say that wasn’t the kind of contact I needed at the moment but it probably was the best.

“I don’t want you to” I turned my back on him and moved my shoulder from under his hand.

“Why not?” his voice raised and a little hurt.

“Because it’s not the life I would choose for you Mikey, this is not a life I would choose for anyone,” I replied my head still down and voice still soft.

“Gabriel I don’t care, you hear? I don’t care. I want to be with my brother and best friend and boyfriend. I can’t do that if I’m a human when you all aren’t. I’m not going to stand by and grow old while the rest of you stay the same age and carry on living” Mikey was nearly shouting near the end.

“But you won’t be living Mikey. You’ll be dead.” I stood up and faced him. His fists were clenched and there was anger flowing from him.

“I won’t be dead if you’re there with me” his voice lowing a little,

“That’s sweet and all but I don’t want to be the one to end your life. I don’t want to be the one to take away all those things you could be able to do but if I change you, you no longer will be able to. I don’t want to take away your humanity Mikey” I was practically begging him near the end.

There was silence for a minute or two and then he spoke the words I wish he never would.
“If you won’t change me then there’s no reason for me to be here” then at that he walked up the stairs to his room. I was behind him in a second. Hearing him say that reminded me of Gerard after he had first tried to commit suicide.

“Mikey don’t do this” I walked up to him and embraced him in my arms. He broke down crying. He was shaking and sobbing. My heart was breaking seeing him like this, even if I didn’t literally have one. We lay down on his bed and I held him as he fell to sleep. He didn’t say anything, just cried. I wanted to do something to make it better but I couldn’t. The only thing that could make it better was something I really didn’t want to do.

It was about 6 in the evening when the phone rang, I quickly got it before Mikey woke up, he didn’t notice me leaving the bed.

“Hello Way residence” I answered the phone not really knowing if it was Aiden or not.

“Gabriel it’s me” she answered from the other side. She sounded like her old emotionless self.

“How’s Frank?” I asked hoping she had gotten home all right without trouble from him. It would have been different from Gerard, since Gerard had taken all sorts of drugs to keep him kicked out.

“Still in pain and probably will be for another hour or so. How is Mikey?” her voice hard and crisp, I know what she wanted to know or already knew.

“He’s not doing so well as you would imagine,” I replied

“I know you don’t want to do it Gabriel but it would probably be for the best. His brother and best friend are now one of us. He’s really got nothing left for him there and you’re already one. I’m sure his mother will understand once we explain it to her.” She explained, I didn’t say anything to her. These were nearly the same arguments that Mikey had brought up.

“Gabriel you wouldn’t really be ending his life. He won’t be able to be human again but it’s not so bad for the two of you. Gay couples can’t really have children themselves they have to adopt.” She laughed, or tired to it sounded too unnatural and forced for the situation.

“I just don’t know Aiden” I sighed down the phone and rested my head up against the wall.

“I have to come back anyway I’ve got your car. If you can’t do it I can and I can be there to talk you through it if you need it.” Her voice was soft and caring

“No I want to be the one to do it but yes I do want you here” I accepted her offer while a huge weight was being put on my shoulders.

“Okay I’ll be there in about four hours or so” she replied and then the phone hung up so I couldn’t change my mind.

I went back up to Mikey’s room and slid back into place beside him. That’s where I belonged. Beside him. Forever.

Mikey woke up three hours later just an hour before Aiden was due to arrive. He just lay there in my arms when he was awake.
“Mikey” I whispered to make sure I had his attention. He nodded his head.

“I’ve decided, Aiden will be here in about an hour” I told him not really wanting to say the words.

“Really?” he looked happy and hopeful I didn’t like it.

“Really” I replied softly and then kissed his warm forehead. I then brought my lips down to his and kissed him. I kissed him like I had never kissed him before. When he changed it wouldn’t be like this again. His mouth was warm and the feelings that rushed through his body were amazing. They made my heart skip so many beats that if I was alive I wouldn’t be for much longer. I broke away from him, he was panting and I was in awe at how amazing that was.
“Gabriel I will still love you,” he whispered. I hadn’t even though about the fact that he didn’t truly and deeply love me, I guess I really didn’t have to, I knew he did.

“I know you will Mikey, as I will too” I replied kissing his forehead. Feeling the warmth of his body was relieving.

“I will still be the same won’t I?” he asked me. This was somewhat unusual. Normally a soon-to-be-vampire couldn’t answer these questions, as they didn’t know.

“Yes” I nodded my head, I knew this wasn’t entirely true as there would be some differences but for the most part it would be true.

Aiden arrived an hour and a half later. Mikey had a smile plastered over his face while I did not. There was nothing that was going to make me happy until Mikey was back safely in my arms preferably as a human forever but I’d settle for a vampire. I didn’t want to watch and feel as Mikey went through the transformation but I wanted to be there at the same time.
“Right so do we want to do it here or half way there?” Aiden asked sanding outside her car, she had left mine at the house saying hers was faster.

“On the way” I replied rapidly, so much so that Mikey didn’t understand.

“He said on the way” Aiden replied to Mikey’s questioning look. He nodded

“Well I’m going to pack all of Gerard’s and Frank’s clothes up, I’m guessing that you have Mikey’s packed?” she looked at me with one eyebrow raised.

“I’ll do it now” I replied and then disappeared into Mikey’s room. Aiden and I descended the stairs at the same time and chucked the bags in the boot at the same time too. Mikey was just standing there smiling. Aiden patted me on the shoulder and whispered for only my ears

“It’ll all be fine, you’ll see” her voice was so happy, it was almost as if she was singing.

“Come on, in we go” she beamed at Mikey and then got into the car. Mikey climbed into the back and then I took the front seat, I think he was hoping I would sit with him but I couldn’t.

When we got half way we were on a deserted road with no one in sight for miles.
“All right it’s here and now” Aiden said and then turned in her seat to look at both Mikey and I.

“Ready?” she asked Mikey who smiled and nodded his head looking at me expectantly. I got up and out of the car and then moved the seat forwards. I didn’t hop back into the car straight away, I first took a deep breath and looked towards the sky.

“Don’t worry Mikey he will just hold on” I heard Aiden calm Mikey down. Mikey wasn’t so excited anymore as nervous, I could feel the butterflies in his stomach join mine. I turned around and got into the car closing the door.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” I asked him once more I didn’t want him to not be sure. He nodded his head and then added

“Yes” his voice was sharp and clean of breaks or stuttering.

“Okay” I replied and then cupped his face. I didn’t want to just bite him I wanted him to be relaxed so I started kissing him. Slowly and gently I kissed his lips and then his noise and then back to his lips, I kissed his cheeks and forehead a few times and then I started kissing his neck. I felt him tense up so I went back to kissing his lips. I made this kiss count just like the one in his room, as I left his lips his chest was heaving and his breath was rapid. I hungrily and roughly kissed down his jaw and then down to his neck. He didn’t tense up as I did it this time but moaned instead. I took one deep breath and then bit him. I took in a little of his blood then I wanted more and more, I didn’t get to though because I felt a hand on my shoulder and pulled away. As soon as I was detached from his neck Aiden past me a knife and I cut one of my wrists and squeezed some of my own blood into Mikey’s mouth just as I had done to Frank hours before.

Mikey’s eyes were wide and his breathing rapid. Then his breath slowly decreased and he stopped breathing. I waited wiping my lips of the residing blood and waited for that sound. The sound of him breathing again,

“He’s okay” Aiden said, I hadn’t even heard anything but then again she had done this more times than I had.

“Come sit up here with me” she patted the passenger seat. I got up from where I was sitting on the edge of my seat and sat nicely and swiftly in the front seat, always having an eye on Mikey.