What a Wicked Game

Chapter 2

The months in Iowa had gone by rather quickly, and soon it was spring of 2001. Lindsey was still struggling trying to raise Jeremy on her own, and at times she felt too overwhelmed to function properly. Despite her moments of weakness, she had found a place to work and would be starting at a local community college after the summer. The girl in the apartment next to her even offered to babysit Jeremy whenever she needed some help (her name was Kelly and she was an author/painter/etc).

Of course Paige called whenever she could. Lindsey would be lying through her teeth if she said she didn’t miss her best friend being by her side every day. They would talk about how life was going, how their families were, and also how Paige and Zacky were doing in their relationship. Lindsey was happy to hear that they were still together, even while he was out on their short-lived touring cycle. The guys hadn’t had their big break yet but they were trying hard.

Whenever Paige tried to bring up the reason that Lindsey left, there would suddenly be something much more important happening and she would have to go. She didn’t want to hurt her friend’s feelings by getting upset and telling her not to bring it up at all, so she developed this tactic instead. It probably wasn’t the best way to go about avoiding a question.

Lindsey had just settled Jeremy into his high-chair for breakfast-after a very tiring night of lulling him back to sleep five times-when the phone rang. Taking the phone and holding it between her shoulder and head, while trying to open a jar of baby food, she answered breathlessly, “Hello?”

“Hey, I’m trying to reach Lindsey Baker? I think she’s been down in a hole for a few months and hasn’t had the decency to come and hang out with me.” A familiar, joking voice spoke on the other end of the line.

She smiled, “Very funny, Corey. If you think I’m in a hole why don’t you come and dig me out of it?”

“That’s exactly why I’m calling you! Jim, Pauly, and I were going to do some stuff on our day off and you need to come with us.” There was absolutely no question in his words; he would drag her out if he absolutely had to. “They’re doing some shit at the studio first though, so do you wanna grab some coffee?”

“Sure, as long as you don’t mind that I bring Jeremy along.” She waved a spoonful of what could only be described as mashed carrots in front of his face. “If I can get him fed, that is.”

She heard a chuckle from the other line, “Should I give you an hour or two on that?”

“Don’t worry, I have my ways. I’ll see you in two hours.” After hanging up the phone she turned her attention on trying to get Jeremy to eat his food. He was still upset that she was weaning him off of her milk. “Please, baby, for mommy?” she begged.

Well, it did take at least an hour for Jeremy to finish his food and Lindsey knew Corey was going to make fun of her for it. She put Jeremy in his crib while she took a quick shower, enjoying the warm water that relaxed her aching muscles. Knowing that she couldn’t stay in there all day, she stepped out and wrapped a towel around her body. She gave her hair a quick blow dry before she headed to the bedroom, where her clothes sat in a small dresser next to the mattress on the floor. Jeremy’s crib sat against the other side of the wall.

She chose a pair of jeans and a long-sleeve green shirt, getting dressed as fast as she could since her two hours were almost up. As soon as Jeremy was dressed and in his stroller, it was time to go.

Lindsey stepped into the small, dimly lit coffee shop ten minutes after her and Jeremy had left the apartment. She spotted Corey sitting in a corner at the far end of the room, already nursing a cup of coffee between his hands. Something about him seemed dejected. Brushing it off, Lindsey headed his way and took a seat across from him. “Started the party without me?”

Corey looked up as she sat down, “We all know that I’m the life of the party.” He waved at Jeremy, who was sitting comfortably in his stroller. “I guess it was a good idea to give you two hours to get here. The little man gave you some trouble?” he taunted.

She smiled but shot daggers at him, “You’re enjoying this, aren’t you?”

“Me? No, of course not! I’m stunned that you think I’d be that kind of person.” He winked at her before taking a sip of his still steaming coffee. “You know, we haven’t really talked in a long time.”

“Well you went back on tour the rest of December, and then you guys started working on a new album. We didn’t really have time to talk. How’s the album going anyway?”

“You first. What have you been doing the past few months in your personal hole?”

She ignored his last remark, “I finally got a job and I start college after this summer.”

He grimaced, “Ugh, I do not envy you. Congratulations though, you’re getting somewhere.”

“Thanks. Other than that, it’s just been Jeremy and I really. So how have you been?”

Corey shrugged, automatically looking disinterested, “I’m fine, I don’t know. The album is…” he leaned forward and rested his arms on the small table, “I can tell it’s going to be the best one so far, but…it’s been fucking terrible making it.”

Lindsey furrowed her eyebrows, “What do you mean?”

“It’s just really hard. Tensions are high when everyone is putting everything they have into it and it’s just draining us. That’s pretty much the watered-down version.”

She nodded, “So I’ve heard how the album is, now I want to know how you’re doing.”

A small smile appeared on Corey’s lips. If he looked dejected before he was now completely out of character and silent. There was a certain dullness to his normally bright eyes. He fingered the lid of his coffee cup, still not answering her question.

“Is something wrong?” she was starting to feel really concerned, wondering why he was staying so quiet. Had something happened?

He cleared his throat, opening his mouth slightly to speak, “I’m fine, Lindsey.” He repeated.

Lindsey frowned. Maybe if they were closer friends-they still didn’t know much about each other-she would have pushed the issue more. She had to acknowledge the fact that there would be some things he couldn’t tell her right now, just as there were some things she didn’t want him to know. Still, she was starting to care about him and he had been a good friend to her.

Corey motioned to someone behind her before she could say anything more. Jim and Paul came up to the table next to them, both wearing light black jackets and sunglasses. She was still getting to know the other guys in Slipknot, but so far they were very welcoming to her. This was made evident by the way Paul, the bassist, reached over and gave her a huge hug. “Hey, Lindsey!”

She laughed, “Hey, Paul! What’s going on?”

“Waiting for you guys to get your asses out of those chairs so we can go.” Jim, one of the guitar players, said with a smile.

“Yeah, this is probably our only day off so hurry up!” Jim and Paul started heading for the door while Corey waited for Lindsey to get herself situated. Jeremy was playing with his toy keys, thankfully unaware of everything that was going on. ‘Of course he’s quiet during the day when I’m not trying to sleep’ she thought with a smile.

Corey let her go in front of him so he could follow silently behind. He could still see her disappointed face clearly in his mind but there was nothing he could do about it. The truth of the matter was there were some things she didn’t need to know. Having to worry about a job and college, on top of taking care of Jeremy, was enough. There was no way she should have to worry about dealing with his shit too. Even if he badly wanted her to.