What a Wicked Game

Chapter 3

A phone rang, echoing loudly throughout Lindsey’s apartment. She shot up from the couch where she was doing her homework, vaulted over it, and answered before it could wake Jeremy up. “Hello?” she said, slightly breathless.

“Hey Lindsey, sorry for calling so late.”

The voice on the other end belonged to Paul, “It’s okay, what’s up?”

“Well…” he sounded as if he was about to break a piece of bad news to her, “I’m at the police station.”

“Why?” she asked apprehensively.

“I’m not in any trouble! I’m here to bail some friends out…and…I need a few extra bucks. If you can’t, that’ cool-”

“Who is it?”

He sighed, “You know, just some of my fuckin’ friends and Corey.” The last name came out weak and soft-he almost didn’t want to tell her.

Lindsey’s body slumped in exasperation. This wasn’t the first time her friend had gotten into trouble. In fact, he had been acting weird for a long time. Something was eating away at him and she was sure of it. “I’ll be right there.” She said disappointingly.

“Thanks, man! I’ll pay you back when I can.”

“Don’t worry about it. See you there.” After hanging up, Lindsey threw a coat on over her tank top and plaid pajama bottoms. She walked over to her neighbor’s apartment door and knocked, hoping that Kelly wasn’t asleep. Footsteps could be heard approaching the door, which she opened after undoing the lock, “Lindsey? Do you need anything?” her brown hair was tied back into a ponytail and there were specks of paint on her face and arms.

“Yeah, I’m sorry this is so last minute but I just got a call from my friend and I need to meet him at the police station. Can you watch Jeremy until I get back? It shouldn’t take too long.”

“Take however long you need, it’s no problem.”

“Kelly, you’re a life saver! He’s asleep right now so he shouldn’t wake up anytime soon. Just make yourself comfortable at my place and I’ll be back as soon as I can.” She thanked Kelly about five more times and then headed downstairs into the small parking lot. Last month, she was finally able to save enough money to buy a cheap car, making her life much easier. Waiting for the bus every day started becoming very annoying.

She wanted to be mad at Corey. On the drive over, she thought of at least a hundred ways to tell him off. ‘Like he’d need that right now’ she thought. If he wasn’t too drunk he’d probably be telling himself off. Once she got to know him more it was obvious that he seemed to shoulder a very hard past. He still hasn’t told her much about it but she didn’t want to push him. She assumed there were some things he couldn’t talk even with his closest friends. Still, there had to be a way she could help him. He had already helped her more than she had ever asked for; and that was the beautiful thing. No matter how much trouble he got into, Corey was a kind person to those he cared about. Seeing him this way tore Lindsey apart.

She pulled into a parking spot at the station. Hopefully they were only holding Corey so he wouldn’t cause anymore damage to himself, not because he actually broke a law. Inside, she automatically spotted Paul at the front desk.

“Fuck, this isn’t the first time I’ve been here.” He said as she came to stand next to him.

She had to laugh, “It may not be the last, either.” An officer with short blonde hair came out to greet them and explain exactly what happened. Apparently there was a party where heavy drinking was involved and the cops were called to go calm everyone down. They held Corey in a cell just to wait for someone to pick him up.

“So…you don’t want us to pay the bail for him?” Lindsey asked, sort of confused.

“No, just take him out of here. Try to knock some sense into him if you can.” Without another word he walked away from the two of them, and not a minute later he came back with Corey walking in front of him. He looked miserable and drunk, the former most likely caused by the latter. “Try to stay out of trouble, son.” The officer patted Corey on the shoulder and left the three of them to talk.

“Well, Corey’s fine, but I gotta take care of the other guys. I’ll see ya later?” Paul directed the question more to Corey.

“Man, why’d you have to tell Lindsey?” he apparently thought to say this quietly but Lindsey could hear him.

“Because he wanted me to help with your bail even though we don’t have to pay it now.” Paul shot Corey an apologetic glance before raising his hand in ‘goodbye, leave me out of this’ and went to talk to another officer. Lindsey motioned wordlessly for Corey to follow her outside to her car. He didn’t have much room for complaining.

It started to rain when they were safely inside the warm car. They drove in silence while Lindsey kept glancing at Corey from the corner of her eye. She wanted to talk to him about everything but it did not seem like the right time. How would you go about bringing it up?

“Shouldn’t you be with Jeremy?” his words slurred together only slightly.

“Don’t give me that when I came here to help you. Besides, Kelly is watching him until I get back.” He looked over at her questioningly, “What?” she asked.

“You’re not taking me to your apartment?”

“…No! I’m taking you to your house, where your wife is-”

“I don’t want to go there. I’m sorry, I just don’t. She doesn’t need to see me like this.” Lindsey wasn’t too sure that he meant his wife when he said “she”-probably his daughter.

She paused to think it over. It was raining harder now and the windshield wipers were moving fast back and forth. “Alright, fine. But I’m dropping you off tomorrow.” He nodded in response and settled back into his seat, resting his head on the back while his eyes drifted open and close. He was tired and hurting.

They arrived at the apartment about fifteen minutes later. Once again, silence befell them as they walked in the building, got to the elevator, and reached her apartment door. Kelly was inside, busy reading a book, when Lindsey and Corey came in, dripping wet from the rain outside. Lindsey thanked her for being there on short notice. Jeremy hadn’t even woken up while she was there.

After Kelly left, Lindsey grabbed a blanket and pillow from the hallway closet and set them on the couch for Corey. He sat down and took off his shoes and green jacket without a word. The silence between them was about to drive her crazy. She had to say something.

“Look, Corey, I’m your friend. I’m not about to preach to you about what you should and shouldn’t do because you’re an adult.” She sat down next to him on the couch, “But there’s something going on with you, I’m not stupid.”

A ghost of a smile was on his face, “A lot of shit is wrong with me.”

She frowned, “I know that we’ve been friends for a while, and that there’s some stuff you may never tell me, but if you ever need to then don’t hesitate. I won’t make you talk about it. I’ll just say that this drinking needs to stop, and not just for your sake.” She gave his hand a squeeze and got up to head to bed.

Corey watched her with thoughts jumbled in his head. Lindsey had proven to be a great friend but there were some things he wouldn’t admit to himself, much less to her. It was just the way he learned to be. “Thanks. I don’t know why you do this for me all the time, but thanks.” He started to lay down in his makeshift bed, not realizing until now how tired he was.

“I do it because I care a lot about you.”

He looked up, almost surprised at what she said. When she smiled back, something inside him jumped. What was going on? “I care about you too…” and he did. He really did. “Goodnight.” He laid his head on the pillow and turned to his side, facing the back of the couch. He could hear her footsteps leading to her bedroom, the door closing shut behind her.

He knew exactly what he was feeling. The sound of her voice, her smile, her deep green eyes, the way she cared about him, the list could go on and on. She cared for him, no matter what, even after the way he acted. When did he first feel it? When did it start creeping up on him? Was he falling in love with Lindsey?