A Daydream Away

A Daydream Away

Let me tell you about a boy and a girl, who called themselves best friends.

Tay, whose real name was Taylor, was 17 years old. She went to high school and spent all her free time with her best friend.
The girl had pretty, long, auburn hair, was rather short and petite and just really pretty in general. She didn’t dress like all the popular girls at her school, but wore what she felt like wearing.

Josh, whose parents called him Joshua Gabriel McCannigton, was a tall and slender boy with short black hair and thick-rimmed black glasses, he had to wear at all times. Josh’s dream was to become a musician and actually be able to make a living out of it. His black acoustic guitar went almost everywhere with him.
The boy didn’t have a girlfriend and hadn’t had one for a while. To be exact, he hadn’t had one since he met Tay.

And although he felt a little stupid for having these feelings he had been trapping inside, he felt even more stupid for not telling his best friend how he felt. He’d been through it a lot of times. The worst that could’ve happened was that she’d reject him, but he’d fight for their friendship. That’s the least he wanted to have.

Still he was afraid to ask her out. He’d planned to do it so many times, but found a way out each time it got near.

One time when they were goofing around after school, they felt like baking brownies, but ended up sitting on the kitchen floor instead.
That was the last time he saw her directly in the eyes and really wanted to tell her.

He didn’t.

Instead he just smiled and started singing a random tune. It fit so perfectly, she just had to get it, but then, he always sang songs without thinking about it.
And that’s what happened.

“I wish you could see your face right now
'Cause you're grinning like a fool
And we're sitting on your kitchen floor
On a Tuesday afternoon
Doesn't matter when we get back
To doing what we do
'Cause right now could last forever
Just as long as I'm with you.”


He smiled at her then and the grin on her face stayed exactly where it was, right in front of him. And then she spoke up, but what Josh heard were words he really didn’t want to hear.

“I love that song”, she grinned, “and your voice. You should really think about singing in a band!”

So that’s what he did a few days later. He tried out for this band some of his friends were in. And they wanted him.
Of course he took the chance, maybe that would finally make Tay see, how he felt, because he was just really too much of a coward to tell her directly.

They practiced as a band and tried to get to play shows. When they actually had a gig, the first one invited was Tay. She was super excited to see her best friend on a stage, even if it was just a small one.

The whole time they put up their equipment and did something you would interpret as a soundcheck, Tay stood there directly in front of the stage and watched. And she laughed, grinned and cheered.

It was getting dark outside; there were actually quite a lot of people, who came to see them.

At first they were really nervous and speaking into the microphone was hard for Josh, but when he did the crowd cheered. And when he started singing, they all stood there, intrigued as to why they hadn’t noticed this band before.

And Josh had actually made a whole out of the short part he had once sung for Tay on the kitchen floor and he sang it with more emotion than anyone else could ever have.

“You're just a daydream away
I wouldn't know what to say if I had you
And I'll keep you a daydream away
Just watch from a safe place, so I never have to lose.”


Tay was fascinated. She still loved the song and she still didn’t know, whom he sang it for.

And when the show was over, she cheered for all of them, and she grinned like a madman.

After a while the band came back off the stage. Josh couldn’t help but hug Tay. He thought she’d gotten it, but she hadn’t and he noticed, when she began to speak.

“That was amazing! Did you write this song? Who’s it for? The girl’s so lucky!”

Josh didn’t understand why she hadn’t gotten the message. It was for her, for god’s sake! But he didn’t tell her. He thought he’d made it obvious, the way he always looked at her throughout the song, but apparently he hadn’t and he wasn’t going to tell her just that.

So they both remained silent and when Josh’s band played another show two weeks later, Tay was there too. But she wasn’t there alone.
She’d brought her new boyfriend. His name was Matt.

That was all it took for Josh to go up to her after the show and tell her exactly what he thought.

“Just so you know, that song was about you. And the last one was too. You were just too blind too see it. And now that I’m seeing you with him, I really don’t know, why I ever thought I’d have a chance with you.”

And then he left. He left her just like that and he didn’t even feel bad, because it was all her own fault. He’d made it so obvious and he’d given her multiple chances, but she wouldn’t see it.

Now he was through it. He’d tried. And he thought that it wouldn’t bother him, but it did.