Blunt

2/2

Danny, you are beautiful. Saying you were like summer wasn’t a lie but I can be more explicit if you’d prefer. Seeing your face makes my heart race like crazy and my throat tighten. The thought of you being mine is quite possibly one of the most exhilarating and terrifying things I can even consider. I want to keep you safe but I’m so afraid of smothering you. If I get too protective, tell me. I’ll understand.

When you smile at me I can’t focus on anything else; it’s such a blinding smile when its real, somehow so liberated despite everything you’re going through. And then, you always bite your lip in the most maddening way after, like you’re embarrassed about being so happy, and it’s such a turn on to see you blush such a delicious red. I can’t help but kiss you then, it’s not even a conscious thought until after I’ve pulled you close. The way your lips move so gently at first, tentative, but suddenly gain confidence, the way you suddenly take control, leaves me a step-behind but God, it’s so wonderful. When you hold my face in your hands I know I should be the on protecting you but I just feel so safe. I feel like I could tell you everything. I could go on and on about what your kisses do to me but well…I don’t want this to be quite that blunt.
Seriously though Danny; you’re everything I could ever want and I’m not saying this is going to work out or last forever or anything like that, but I know it could. It’ll be hard but I know we have a chance here. I just need you to forgive me. I know you might have already, that you might have just realized you’re tired of this relationship but please just tell me that if that’s why you won’t talk to me. I just need the truth, just a few words.
You and I could be great together and I’ll always be here for you no matter how many times we fight or how messed up things get. I just need you to know that, and I just need you to know that I love you. Am I crazy for holding on to this?

Joshua folded up the letter-so much longer than he’d planned on it being- and slid it into an envelope. He wrote Danny’s name on the front and slid it into his jacket pocket before taking a deep breath. If Danny refused to read the letter, if Danny refused him, Joshua wasn’t sure what he would do. He’d grown so used to the boy in the past year or so of knowing him and life without him was hard to imagine. He couldn’t quite remove the dark-haired boy from his future.

The thought of losing Danny steeled Joshua’s confidence as he walked outside, taking in the cool fall air. He didn’t even consider hesitating as he made the familiar drive to Danny’s house and knocked on the door. It was only when Danny actually opened the door, eyes bloodshot and framed with dark circles, his clothes wrinkled and terrible, that Joshua almost backed up. He could run away, just jump into his car and never look back, but Danny had taught him not to run from his fears. Danny was the reason he pulled out his letter, pressing it into the younger boy, no, the younger man’s, hand.

Joshua waited, expecting Danny to hand it back to him, but instead he gave him a small, timid smile as he ripped open the top of the envelope. Before he actually pulled out the note he reached out, taking Joshua’s hand and pressing his lips to the writer’s knuckles.

Not for the first time Joshua was struck by their differences, even on the surface. His skin was pale, ivory if he wanted to flatter himself, while Danny’s was a deep tan. Everything about him was dark and deep, so full of life and love, against Joshua’s grey-white hair and silver nose ring, and large, black gauges. Danny would give up anything for anyone; but then Joshua was so, so cold and guarded because really, Danny had been right when he accused him of hiding behind his words. There was no need to use words between them, to explain exactly what Joshua was thinking, because Danny was giving him the gentlest smile he could possibly manage, as if Joshua were nothing more than a scared child. And what more was he right now, with everything riding on Danny’s reaction to his letter? Because no matter how kind the boy was being now, there was no guarantee that he still felt the same love that Joshua did.