Status: NanoWriMo

Omertà

And thus Olivia was born

Years had passed since Olivia was born. After the small family of three had moved deep into the woods, Vincent and Jacqueline focused on making Olivia’s life as normal as possible. The only two people in the family that were still alive that knew about Vincent’s job were the two of them and to let such a small child in on such a secret would be devastating to all of them. Vincent made sure that Olivia had a safe enough home, however, and on her sixth birthday, just a few days short of a year ago, he made sure that Olivia knew the only important thing that she deserved to know; under her bed was a small door big enough for her to fit through but small enough to be hidden against the lines of the wooden floors. Dug deep underneath the door was a tunnel that led straight into town, right next to a police station. When he sat her down to tell her this, he left out the police station but made sure she knew that it was there. He handed her a necklace that had a small piece of metal that clicked nicely into a crack in the floor and when turned, it opened the door.

“Once inside,” he whispers to his daughter, who is snuggled against his chest. “The door will lock. No one else will ever get in that door and if there are any really bad monsters, they won’t get you.”

Once his daughter was fast asleep, Vincent crawled into bed with his wife who, just like their daughter, curled up against his chest. “Did you tell her much, Vin?” she whispers the words carefully, almost as if she was scared that she knew far too much for a young child. She was so quiet that Vincent could barely hear his wife.

His large hands curled around her waist and pulled her into him, kissing her cheek. “No, Jacqueline. All that matters is that she knows she’s always safe and that we always love her. I don’t know when it’s going to happen, my love. I don’t know what Adam has planned but let’s pray to God he isn’t as heartless to us as he is to others.”

“It isn’t fair,” she whispers, tears rolling down her face, “You have a family. You have a life. Why do you have to be so committed to them? Why can’t they just let you go without repercussions?”

“Because,” he said slowly, “It’s the mafia.”