Status: Active: I'm taking a break for Christmas!

The Last Warrior

Chapter 4

Cahira dodged yet another blow from the powerful centaur. It didn’t faze him—nothing fazed him Whatever happened, he kept going, not even needing time to think or strategize. It was kind of frightened—the way he could dodge every blow, take every chance that came, and never even stop for a moment. It was as if whatever Cahira did, he swallowed up like a sponge—every technique, he learned quick and countered it. She was beginning to run out of ideas…

For a moment, as she was backing away from the repetitive attacks, she lost her footing and went crashing to the ground. For a moment, the air escaped her lungs—and she couldn’t get it back. She gasped—but couldn’t find the time to steal it back.

I’ve fallen. I’m dead, she repeated over and over again. As the sword came down on her again…

Her heart sped. Her mouth agape. If this were real, I’d be dead.

Cahira had always had the animalistic instinct to survive. It was something her mother had been proud of. Very proud of. When she’s in trouble, the “instinct” kicks in and her own body reacts on its own. During a deep famine in the forests, and she was only five, she had gone out, on account of her own cramping stomach and the rest of the tribe, and caught a wild turkey with her bare hands. Turned out, she had very strong legs which helped her chase it for fifteen minutes straight. It helped give the children of the tribe full stomachs.

With all the strength Cahira could muster, she rolled backward onto her neck, her feet in the air, and as the centaur, the powerful Chiron, brought down the sword, using her powerful legs, she thrust her heels into his chest. Then, she flipped herself over onto her feet. She sucked the air into her sore lungs.

Chiron chuckled, rubbing where she had kicked him. “Well, you certainly know how to take care of yourself.” He pointed out.

In reply, she tilted her head to the side in a way that was asking him silently, “What did you expect?”

Cahira smirked, then took her chance and lunged.

This time, she got the better of him. He was dodging every move, but each time she was gaining speed, he was becoming slower. And as he stepped back to dodge, she came closer and closer to slicing out his heart.

And then, the time came.

This one, he couldn’t dodge. It was coming and there was no way he could escape it. I’ve done it! I’ve defeated the all-powerful Chiron! She thought, as she brought up the dagger.

And then, it happened. Something she couldn’t have comprehended. Something that she couldn’t possibly counter.

Cahira jerked back as Chiron lifted himself on his powerful hind legs, his front ones dangling in the air, keeping her at bay with powerful thrusts that never actually met her face or chest. Cahira fell to the ground, completely dumbfounded that she hadn’t expected this.

Cahira growled, “That’s not fair.” She got to her feet and dusted off her mother’s armor. “Hercules can’t do that.”

Chiron smiled, wiping sweat off his forehead. “You never know. He’s a god. He could do things beyond imagine.”

That sent her off the edge. She swallowed a mouthful of remarks and went on.

The two began to trek back to the centaur’s village. Before they reached the entrance, Chiron asked, “Say, what’s that around your neck?”

Cahira looked down and picked up the vial around her neck. She almost gasped. It was still warm, and she could feel the blood pulsing—like a heartbeat. A very steady, calm beat.

Her mother’s heartbeat.

“Cahira?”

She looked back at the centaur. His eyebrows were arched in confusion—or worriedness. For her. She shook her head and replied to his earlier question, “It’s the last thing I have of my mother’s.”

His eyes widened for a mid-second, then he looked down to his hooves and kept walking—was that a smudge of guilt in his forest green eyes?

“Like you said,” Cahira reminded, “You didn’t know what exactly he intended.” She didn’t want the beautiful creature to feel sympathy toward her—it didn’t fit him. She had always heard that centaurs were courageous, confident creatures…what she saw know wasn’t that. She saw a grief-stricken centaur that was responsible for another’s death—and he didn’t even know it.

Cahira spotted the ghost of a smile appear into his tan, framed face. Cahira put her hand over her face as a shield from the sun’s rays as she glared into the sun. The sun was making it’s way to morning. “I should start to Delphi.”

“Do you need directions?”

“Well, I think I know my way. A map would be nice.” Cahira replied uncertainly. They started up the tiny hill to the center of the village. She tried to ignore the stares she kept getting—they weren’t necessarily bad, but very uncomfortable. These creatures weren’t used to humans staying here more than a night. They must’ve been relieved to see she was leaving—a mortal woman falling for a centaur had never happened, and they most definitely didn’t want it to start now.

But, also, since Cahira’s leaving, they know she’s not in love with the elder creature. He was too out of her age-limit.

“Abiron! Solon!” Chiron called, waving his hand to lure them this way. Cahira looked and saw two burly looking centaurs venturing this way. One, which she believed to be Solon, was clad in silver armor from head to…lower chest. Solon was completely bare, with pasty pale skin, with a mountain of volumized, curly, deep brown hair.

Once they came near, Chiron stepped forward, “Bring Cahira some healing potions—bandages, too.” Solon bowed his head and clomped off. He must’ve been the medicine man around here. Cahira had one named Cathedra before the raid.

Chiron turned his torso to the other centaur—Abiron. “Bring some fresh arrows—she’ll need them. Oh, and a map to the Oracle of Delphi.” Abiron nodded, than looked toward Cahira. He winked. She shouldn’t have, but a bright red flush began to appear on her face. His cocky grin only got wider. I’m such a child.

“Thanks, Chiron,” Cahira said, just as Abiron began to recede to get the supplies.

“Anytime.” He smiled. “Oh, and give Hercules my thanks.”

She didn’t let her expression change. “For what?”

“For making sure I met you.”

Cahira smiled, then leapt out and hugged the creature in front of her. She couldn’t help it. Maybe she was still a child at heart. It seemed she had forgotten how to be one when she had to take on the job of an adult—to take care of herself.

Chiron seemed almost shocked. Nonetheless, he put a strong arm around her shoulders. It was terribly comforting. Cahira hadn’t gotten a hug in over ten years.

She pulled away just as Solon galloped toward us, struggling to get to a stop, so she took a step back. He handed Cahira a bag that she threw over her shoulder. She was surprised at how heavy it was. “You don’t have to give me so much.”

“We insist.” Chiron and Solon chimed at the same time. She stared at them both. They were both being so generous when she wasn’t even sure if she’d make it out alive.

Cahira smiled lightly. “Thanks.” When Abiron came up and helped her put on the extra quiver of arrows, she stepped back to look at the three. I should give them something, she thought. As a token of my gratitude.

“Here.” Cahira said, then grabbed the bag she had brought from home off her back. She dropped it on the ground and pulled out a handful of…shiny objects. They captured the light through the cracks of her fingers, making the three centaurs look surprised. They weren’t one to take money. Just wine and women.

“My tribe used to mine them up, until I was the only one left to do it. I want you to have them. If I die, you can say you have the remains of the Amazon women.” Cahira dropped one of the tiny objects into each of their open palms. They stared blankly at the sparkling diamonds.

When Chiron opened his mouth to speak, Cahira didn’t let him finish—she knew what he would say. “And I’m not taking them back.”

“Hey? You have a gift for me, too?”

Cahira automatically knew that voice. How could she forget Aric?

She turned. “Yes. I do. But you’ve got to come close to get it.” He liked this idea. Very, very much. He clomped over to her and bent. She leaned upward, and just before they could meet in a lip-lock, she dodged his lips and stole a kiss from his cheek.

He leaned back, startled, and rubbing his cheek softly. “That’s it?” He pouted.

“It’ll take more than a ride to appease me.” Aric sighed sadly.

“I hope to see you soon?” Chiron asked, and she turned to face him.

“I hope so.” Then, she began to walk to the edge of the forest, and stared out into it for a moment. She could just sense the world in front of her the way she could sense when prey is near.

“Don’t you want to eat first?” Chiron called, obviously looking for reasons for her to stay.

“I’ll find something on my way!” Cahira called back, and then she waved over her shoulder.

She ran into the woods, faster and faster and faster. Resisting the urge to turn back was almost painful. She had just made friends and now she had to leave them. She slowed down when she thought it was too far to turn back.

Here I go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I want to have her thoughts in italics, but when I paste it, it's all normal! WHY?!?!?!?!