Status: In progress

Untitled So Far (NaNoWriMo)

Chapter Two

Hours passed, and no mention of a flying saucer had been on the news. Dean had passed out on the couch in between Genesis and Allen. Gen was starting to feel the effects of sleepiness, too, but Allen had his eyes plastered to the television. "Something with be on eventually.." he said softly, the images of some commercial flashing across his eyes. They'd been flipping channels, trying to always stay on the news, it was about twenty minutes until they'd have to change the channel again, and Allen's fingers were already set to press the needed buttons to get there. He had to get his Callie back.

Genesis

"Come on, Allen, none of us will be any good if we don't get sleep. If Aliens come on the news, they won't go off the news until the situation is resolved; meaning Callie will be back."

"No, Gen. I have to watch. I have to know immediately, I have to save her."

"Whatever.." I rolled my eyes at his stubbornness, hopped up off the couch, and smacked Dean in the arm. "Come on loser, let's go to bed.." my attention then turned to Guilenstein, my beloved cat who went everywhere with me. "Guildy," I cooed "Come on kitty kitty, bed time." He stood, stretched and meowed at me with annoyance in his tone. Laughing, I started my slow trudge up the stairs and called my mother. Voicemail, like usual. "Hey, Mum.. I don't know when I'm gonna be home. Trying to save Callie, and the universe. Nothing out of the usual." not like she'd care when she did finally check her phone, not like she'd even notice I was gone.

I reached the top of the steps and slipped my phone into my pocket, glancing back to see Dean shuffling up after me. "Night, Dean.." I said softly, turning to wrap my arms around him as he reached the top of the stairs.

"Sweet dreams, honey." he smiled and hugged me back, tightly before wandering past me and down the hall to his bed room. I wanted to follow him, slip through his door and curl up in bed, taking in his scent and listening to him ramble about crazy things in his sleep. He'd always been quite the sleep-talker. Instead, though, I walked a few paces to Callie's room as I'd done so many times before, stripped off my pants and collapsed in her bed. Nothing unusual for a girl who'd been in this room many times, who'd slept in this same bed almost every weekend for eight years. Tonight, though, it felt different; Callie wasn't curled up next to me cooing out soft snores, the bed was colder than usual and a feeling of dread was hanging over me. "Goodnight, Callie, wherever you are." I sighed into the night as I buried my face in the pillow and searched for sleep.

Dean

Darkness was shrouding my vision as I made my way up the stairs. Thoughts of Callie were running rampant in my brain, trying to push down the guilt and animalistic rage that seemed to seep through every pore was almost most than I could handle. "Thanks for waking me.." I whispered to Genesis, but the comment went unnoticed as she was talking on her phone, obviously into her mom's voicemail. A wave of sadness washed over me as I thought of that home situation. Her mother was on far too many drugs, sleeping with far too many men, and had far too little time for the daughter who was desperate for love.

As I reached the top of the stairs, I wrapped her in my arms, a tight hug trying to portray all the emotions I was feeling. Her soft, brown hair brushed against my cheek, and a blush spread across it. I was lucky for the darkness. "Sweet dreams, honey." I breathed in her ear as I let go, walking my way down the hall to my room.

It was lonely in there, the kind of place that you want someone with you to curl up, to wash away the fears and sadnesses of your day. I missed my sister, worried for her safety, and covered all that up with a broad grin and joking manner. Though, I knew Allen and Gen could tell. I was a wreck, a total mess hidden behind a playful demeanor. Sleep wouldn't come easy for me again as I laid silently in my dark room.

"Well, guess I could get up.." Wandering back down the stairs I'd just climbed I saw Allen with his eyes glued to the TV. He'd been sitting there since the event eleven hours ago, and had been up late the night before with Callie. "Hey!" I called in my feigned cheery voice, "you need to get some sleep, bro, won't do Cal any good to fall asleep while you're fightin' the little green guys, eh?" he turned his eyes from the television for a moment and shook his head

"No, Dean, I can do this. I have to do this. She needs me." He was on the brink of tears again, and a small fear rose up in me. I was never good at dealing with tears.

"I'll do this. If any mention of UFO's comes on the screen I'll come get you, no, better, so that not a moment is missed I'll call you on your cell and tell you, okay? Sleep light." I grinned a little and took a seat on the couch next to him, looking at the screen as the woman gave the same report as was on a few hours ago; it had turned to news re-runs and his tired out, worried sick brain didn't even seem to notice.

"Alright.." he said, hesitantly and begrudgingly.

"You know where my room is." I called lightly, watching after him as he drug himself up the stairs. I turned my attention back to the TV and fixed my eyes there, watching, waiting, worrying.

Image


Allen

An alarming sound was going off, but from a far off place. The trees were still swaying to a gentle wind, and Callie was still curled in my arms. Her voice was nothing more now, than an obnoxious ringing sound, I started at her, confused and bewildered. Moving to one side of her to look into her face, try to find out what was going on and why she was making such a terrible noise, when I began to fall. Falling into an abyss of nothingness, I was afraid, reaching for something to take hold of but there was nothing; the world was fading to black.

Thud.

I hit the ground and awoke with a start, my phone ringing on the nightstand now above me, suddenly the dream made perfect sense. I pounced, seeing that it was Dean on the other side and I bolted. Out of his room, down the stairs, and to the television. Sure enough, an emergency broadcast was playing on the screen as a flustered reporter sat in her chair and relayed the information.

"As it appears, a fly saucer has been spotted today flying above the Redwood forests of California. All tourists have been encouraged to stay out of this area as there have been disappearances where the UFO was spotted. Now, to Jim Blake on the scene."

"Thank you, Karen, I'm here in the Redwood Forests with Bill Tobin, a witness as to one of the abductions that has potentially taken place today. Bill, what did you see?"

"There was this... thing in the sky. All dark and round and floating, and the air was suddenly all tense, whipping around us like a tornado or something. That's when the lights shot out and took 'em. Right off the ground, yanked 'em into the sky.."

"Well, there you have it-


The reporter continued to ramble, but I was already in motion. "Looks like we're going to California. That's where you and your money come in, Dean." I glanced at him momentarily. "Start getting packed. Gen and I will go to our houses, pack some stuff up, and while we're gone you use one of your bank cards to buy us the next flight out of here, got it?" My eyes were hard as I stopped walking towards the door to look at him. "Any time wasted is time that those creeps could be hurting Callie, and none of us want that."

With the mention of Callie being potentially hurt, everyone snapped into motion. Within seconds, Dean was gone and up the stairs, Genesis followed me briskly to the door and we hopped into my car heading towards her house.

When we reached the little trailer that she lived in, I decided to sit in the car; just in case her mother happened to be in. The last time her and I met was a disaster, and we didn't have time to waste on that drunken whore trying to lay her paws all over me again. "I'll be back." Genesis breathed, leaping out of the car and hurrying into her house.

I drummed my fingers on the steering wheel as I sat and waited, it felt like an eternity but with my eyes glued to the clock I knew it had only been a matter of minutes when she burst through the door with a small duffle bag in hand. I grinned as she jumped in the car and raced to my own hose to pack my bags. This was sure going to be one hell of an adventure.