Status: In progress

Untitled So Far (NaNoWriMo)

Chapter Three

Genesis

"I can't believe you're bringing that damn cat!" Dean said in annoyance as a soft meow rung out from the cage at my side.

"Like I'd ever leave Guildy anywhere!" I called back defensively before cooing down at my cat.

We were shuffling toward the airport looking like a band of runaways. All of us were on edge, tense, realization of just what we had to do was finally setting in. "How long until the flight?" Allen asked for what had to be the hundredth time, he was nervous and impatient.

"An hour." I said, offering Dean a reprieve from being the one to answer the repeated question. The muscles in his neck were taut and he looked beyond annoyed.

"Why do we have to wait so long!" Anger was flaring in Allen, an anger I've never seen before. He was usually so calm, collected, logical.

"Calm down, Al." I said with a soft coo. "Everything will work out; I'm sure she's just fine." Though, none of us really knew anything about the state of her, I thought I'd better be the optimistic one. We were all worried, and emotions were running high.

Check-in didn't take very long, only about twenty minutes, and then all we had to do was wait. Allen, checking his watch repeatedly. Dean, trying to get comfortable in his chair so sleep could take him far away from this stressful place. And me, I sat staring at the window as the workers went about their lives, wondering if they'd watched the news, if they knew what was going on in California. Wishing that someone else knew about the dangerous mission we were about to embark on. My heart was in my throat, and my brain was whirring until suddenly a loud voice filled my ears.

Attention, this is your captain. We are close to take off, please fasten all seat belts and remain seated during take off. -

It was only the intercom, a routine beginning-of-flight announcement that I had no interest in listening to. Closing my eyes, I let the motion of the airplane shooting into the air rock me off into a stress-induced sleep.

Allen

My nerves were shot. I didn't want to admit to anyone, but I was scared. Scared, angry, worried.. I didn't know how to fight. I'd been in two fights in my entire life and gotten whipped both times; one of them was against a girl. A whole alien race was going to be a lot more than three kids could handle. "How the hell are we even gonna do this.." I mumbled to myself, glancing at the other two. Genesis was staring out the window intently, probably off in another world of her own and Dean was dozing beside me. "Might as well try and sleep Gen.." I whispered over to her as I closed my eyes. Sleep wasn't going to come easy, this much I knew; but I might as well try.

Image


"Allen!" I felt a slight jolt and sat straight up, looking around bewildered and confused.

"Where the hell am I?" there was surprise in my voice as I began to take in my surroundings.

"We're in California, you feel asleep." Dean said, smacking me on the shoulder and standing. "Let's go. We're unloading!" He trailed the last passenger off the plane as Genesis and I fell in step. Everything was coming back in a stressful blur. The sky was light, but the sun was beginning to set outside.

"We'd better get a rental car or something.." Genesis said, looking over at Dean who rolled his eyes.

"I don't think my parents are gonna be too happy with all the money spending.."

"It's to save their fucking daughter!" Genesis retorted with a snort. "They'd better be thanking us!" I stayed quiet as the two glared at each other. No need to get involved in yet another Dean-Genesis rivalry. My head was whirring with thoughts, wondering if the aliens were still over the Redwoods, wondering if they'd be closed off. I closed my eyes and swayed a little, still not completely awake after the flight.

"You guys go get the car, I'll meet up with you outside."

Dean

A quick swipe of the card and a nice rental car with a full gas tank was at our finger tips. "I bet it must be great to be able to run around with Daddy's money." Genesis said with a slight mock tone. I ignored her, opening the driver's door and climbing in.

"Call Allen and tell him where we are." I said calmly, starting up the smooth engine and staring out the window. It wasn't a very long drive to the Redwood tourist attraction, and I wanted to leave as soon as we could. The longer it took to get there the more security would be stationed.

Another meow sounded from the backseat and a growl of annoyance escaped through my lips. "You know that cat is just going to slow us down, carrying that stupid cage around."

"I'm gonna let him out as soon as we reach the forests."

"Oh, yea! That's the greatest plan ever. 'Cuz we wanna waste time chasing a stupid cat when he runs off to chase rabbits!"

We were so busy arguing we didn't even notice that Allen had reached the car. Opening the front seat door her climbed in a looked at us both harshly. "Quit your brabbling and let's drive."

"You got it." Putting the car in gear I sped off toward our destination, the Redwood forests.

Image


Half an hour later we came to a place with police cars everywhere, not far beyond them was a hazy glowing dome that seemed to raise forever into the sky. "Wow.." I breathed, staring at the spectacle. It was now time to go on foot. Parking the car quite a few feet back, we emerged, sneaking past the initial guards and heading toward the dome. Scared and exhilarated at the same time, we thought we'd made it off easy when we heard a yell.

"Get those kids!"

"Fuck!" Genesis screamed, running with all her might towards the dome. I worried for her safety, for all of our safety. Who knew if we could get through, who knew what was behind that dome.

"Hey, kids! Don't go in there, don't you know this is a restricted area?!" The yelled of the officer felt like he was right behind me. I pushed myself harder, my feet pounding on the ground in time with the blood pounding through my veins. Gen was ahead of both Allen and me, I was taking up the rear of the pack with cops right on my tail.

And then she was gone. Ran right into the dome and swallowed up by it's immensity. Panic shot through me, but I wasn't sure if I was more scared of the cop I could hear huffing behind me, or the thought of passing through the unearthly dome. "Ya-hooo!" I yelled, as I watched Allen disappear behind her, only a foot or so away from the dome I closed my eyes, braced myself and barreled right through, only hoping that that cops wouldn't follow.