Status: NaNoWriMo - 21,112 words.

Exits and Entrances

cady grisham.

My dad stayed asleep, not wanting to eat. He hadn’t eaten in days for all I knew, and as far as I knew, my mother hadn’t been home since Wednesday, when I spent all day. I was so worried about my parents that I could hardly even function.

I moved back into bed, watching the pillow next to mine, where you had once lain. Why Tommy, would you get my hopes up and call me? I just don’t understand, really. I’m over-thinking it and I know I am, but you know, I don’t get it. I’m still in love with you, and you know me.

I have no chance with you.

And yet, you promised that we would attempt to be friends. You said you missed me, and I had said, stupidly, that I missed you too. That was what I wanted, too, because I missed you.

It was better to know you a little bit, as friends, than to not know you at all. This wasn’t ideal, but since when was anything in my life ideal?

“Cady? Is that you?” My dad called loudly from the couch, like he had just woken up. The house was dark and miserable, and yet somehow, bright and happy, an awful oxymoron.

My dad’s face was long and dark, and not like at prom, Tommy, where he watched us from the big front window while my mom took pictures. Let’s be honest, Tommy, this was different and awful in some many ways. And every night before I fell asleep, I wished for you to be my side and helping me, because goddammit, Tommy, you made me feel safe.

Suddenly, I was sick of this place.

I texted Caroline three simple words, ones she would instantly understand. I want out.

I was sure she was with you, Tommy, and Danny, and probably Carlo too, considering you four were inseparable now that Caroline and Danny were dating again. They hurt to look at, considering how happy they were.

When they first got together, I wondered if we could be like that. Wondering if we could just be together until the end of time, even if we broke up a couple of times and whatever occurs in our relationships. I knew that given the chance, I would spend the rest of my life with you.

Caroline pulled into my driveway and honked loudly, and I booked it, tears running down my cheeks like nothing else I had ever seen in my entire life. Everything was piling on top of me and I just couldn’t handle it anymore, Tommy.

Normally, Tommy, I would call you and crawl into your arm, but you know, something told me I didn’t need you anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
short chapter. drama in store.