Status: NaNoWriMo - 21,112 words.

Exits and Entrances

thomas shannon.

Do you remember when we went to Burger King in Boston, determined to spend the night with no drama at all? We took the train into the city, laughing and smiling and having fake conversations and making fun of the people around us because we were that immature?

I remembered that week like it was yesterday, just because you had been having a rough week, with no new on your cousin in Iraq and your parents fighting constantly, in addition to having midterms that week. I, like the good boyfriend I thought I was, was going to treat you as a surprise. Skrillex tickets it was.

You had sat across from me with a french fry twirling around your fingers, giant rings with crosses on them as we wasted time until we went to see Skrillex in concert.

You were preaching that punk will always be better than dubstep, but you were a huge fan of Skrillex’s “Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites”, and you had agreed to go with me, for the same reason you went everywhere with me.

You loved me.

You had looked so hipster that day. You were wearing tight fake denim shorts with black ripped tights underneath it, loose boots on your feet and your hair was voluminous. You looked like you always did, but different somehow as well. Your fingers were covered in cross rings and you also had taken the liberty to put an anchor on your collarbone, something you said you wanted it to be a tattoo later.

I wondered if you got it done, and I do sometimes as well.

When we were at Burger King, you ate both your burger and half of mine, and were laughing and smiling like you never had before.

But we had fun that night. You had your hands in my back pockets all night, making out as we grinded, dancing and moshing with everyone else at the concert. That was probably the most fun I had with you, because there was nothing to get in our way except people wanting to be in front.

And they played your favorite song.

Suddenly, I was back into the present, where everything was wrong and nothing felt right anymore. I twiddled my fingers into my lap, not speaking as Danny talked about Modern Warfare 3, and how he wanted it, and you know, like you always said, Cady, Danny is an absolutely idiotic and such a dumbshit all the absolute time and I was slowly missing your intense intelligence.
Caroline looks down at her phone, like she’s about to cry, and sighs deeply. She looks at me with narrowed eyes. “What have you done to her, Tommy? Are you going to stay this time, or are you going to fuck with her feelings again until she cries her heart out and makes herself miserable? You might not have seen what you leaving did, but I sure as hell did. And guess what? I’m not letting you-”

“Shut up.” Danny’s voice was dark, quiet. And that’s when I knew this wasn’t even about me anymore, it was about everything else in Caroline and Danny’s relationship. Danny never liked you, Cady, and now that he’s obsessed with you and all the things you’ve supposedly done wrong... “Shut up, Caroline, okay?”

That’s when I left the conversation, and went back to thinking of you and decided most definitely that nothing else I wanted than you in every form of the word.

And that was in the most innocent form that I needed you too.