Status: NaNoWriMo - 21,112 words.

Exits and Entrances

thomas shannon.

You look so gorgeous today, Cady. You’re wearing that loose tank top with the big anchor on the front, with my favorite pair of your skinny jeans. You left your hair natural too. It’s like you’re trying to break my heart.

Danny shoves me against the wall, teasing in that stupid way we boys do. He has his eyes on Caroline again, and still thinks we’re on good terms. “Come on, Tommy, it’s just one date. Can’t you just go talk to her for me?” Like you said all along, Cady. Danny is a seventeen year old trapped in a four year old’s body.

And maybe it was my fried brain cells, or maybe it was the fact that if he shoved me one more time, I was going to hurt him, but I walked up to you and Caroline, the two girls who I used to spend all my time with, one much more willingly than the other. And whatever possessed me to utter your name is beyond me. “Hi Caroline,” I say, smiling a little and watching you flinch, almost liking that my presence hurts. And as my lips form your name, my heart breaks. “Hey, Cady.”

“What do you want?” Caroline manages to cut in before I can get a good look at you without it being awkward. I turn my attention to her, her blonde hair obnoxiously straightened to the point it looked unnatural.

“Danny, you know, Danny Masterson, just wanted me to send forward his hellos, and wanted to know if you would be charmed enough to honor him with a date,” I said smoothly, hardly believing myself. And the look in your eyes made me want to die. You looked so ashamed in me, as well as in Danny, and even in Caroline as she smiled, her voice still cold.
“Tell him he can date me when he grows a pair and asks me himself,” Caroline says. I want to look at you, I want to stare at you for hours on end like I used to, but in the blink of an eye, you’re gone, a women’s room stall slamming behind your black heeled feet.

I tried to fix you.