Sequel: Rocks Painted Gold
Status: As of April 14th 2013 new and improved chapters of Promise Me The Stars have begun to be published on Mibba :)

Promise Me The Stars

The Deal

The night wore on endlessly after everyone had come together in the living room. After some dares and wild rants from Jimmy, plus plenty of alcohol consumed by the adults they all ended up outside in the warm California air laughing and messing around. The smell of chlorine filled the immediate air that was swirling around the group as Jimmy went on another tirade about ducks or something.

Forest sighed and lay back in a lawn chair he had taken up residence in, yawning from the pain medication he had just secretly swallowed four of in the kitchen. He wished that he was either in bed or buzzed by now. But none of those wishes had been granted tonight. He didn't know what time it was because he had never bothered with a cell phone. He knew Hazel had one strapped to her at all times but she was across the yard giggling as Jimmy began dancing with Johnny.

"Tired?" Forest lazily glanced up and looked at Matt.

"I'm not one for sober parties lasting well into the morning hours." Forest said yawning and folding his arms over his chest.

"Are you saying you'd be happier if you were drunk?" Matt laughed.

"I'm not saying I wouldn't be." Matt shook his head and looked at Forest.

"I don't think alcohol would be the best with that mess of pain killers you just shoved down your throat."

Forest's head snapped to the left where Matt was located and he heard his neck crack.

"Were you spying on me or something?" He asked, his eyes narrowed.

"No, I went back in to grab my phone and saw you. Plus it's my house so it's hardly spying. More like watching a robbery." Matt raised his eyebrow as he dragged a chair over to sit next to Forest.

"Then why didn't you stop me?" Matt scoffed.

"It's four pills. Not much to complain about. At least they weren't extra strength or anything."

"Can I go sleep on your couch or something?" Forest asked changing the subject.

"Sure, but I have a guest room if you'd rather sleep in there."

"Whatever," Forest said shrugging and standing from the lawn chair. He stretched and glanced over the group one last time before turning away.

"Come on, i'll show you up." Matt said leading Forest into the house.

Forest yawned again as he slowly followed Matt through the house to the bedroom he was being permitted to sleep in.

"Zacky is drunk so you'll probably be staying here the night anyway. But here it is, bathroom down the hall two doors on the right."

"Thanks Matt." Forest said smiling a bit to the man as Forest rubbed his eyes and walked towards the bed.

"No problem kid, see you in the morning." Matt snapped off the light after Forest pushed his shoes off and fell on the bed, falling asleep before he even hit the pillow.

Image
​​

Forest stood with his back against the trees, looking down over the cliff he was standing on in curiosity. Looking down at the water that was slamming up against the grey jagged rocks that were razor sharp, it brought back brutal memories that he didn't even realize he had of the fall he had taken. He didn't know why he was here of all places, he was dreaming, he hoped so anyway. Shadow stood next to him looking down, his arms crossed over his broad chest that held muscles Forest didn't have on his body. His silver hair didn't make him look old, it made him look weird and creepy in a way, like some ridiculous person from an anime.

Forest didn't know why he made Shadow with silver hair. Hell, Forest didn't know why he made Shadow at all, though he was sure he didn't make Shadow. And he really didn't think he had a say in the way Shadow looked anyway, he just showed up one day. Telling Forest that he was in his mind, that it was his head too, and that he would eventually take control and make the world a living hell. But before that he would try and ruin Forest's life in the process. Or that’s what Forest heard when Shadow introduced himself that fateful day.

The wind was blowing and Forest was thinking that he was having an out of body experience. He could see himself, and Shadow, looking down into the ocean. A look of thought on both their faces. It was as if Forest was standing in front of the duo, floating out above the raging waters below. He watched as they stood there, Forest the frail boy and Shadow the strong one. They were an unlikely match the two of them. And it didn’t help that Shadow was the guy who lived in Forest’s head. He was turning into a real person now though it seemed. He had his own thoughts. Had his own way of dealing with things. But he wasn’t calming down any, was still trying to take over and kill someone. He had made it clear that if he ever got full control he wouldn’t let Forest back in to take over. And that alone scared the living hell out of Forest. He didn’t want to disappear like that, to just be pushed back and forgotten to take the place Shadow had just traded him.

As they looked down the cliff Shadow turned to Forest and Forest looked up at Shadow.

“Down there,” Shadow started, “Is where one of us will end up. This is indeed in your mind, you’re indeed dreaming. But down there, is where either me or you will end up Forest. There can’t be two of us anymore. It’s been too long and I can’t take it, we can’t take it. It’ll be a fight to see who gets the body and who gets to be in those waters. It’s coming Forest. And you can’t stop it. All you can do is fight.”

“Why are you telling me this? Why don’t you just drop it on me and then start fighting?” Forest asked. The wind was blowing, sending his black hair flying all around. He pushed it out of his eyes and squinted at the guy he held in his head. Dark storm clouds were brewing close by and they threatened to spill tons of water on them. If this was his mind, well Forest didn’t really like it. It was too dark, too…..creepy. But maybe that’s the way his mind really was. Maybe he really was a dark and creepy person just like the forest was on a stormy day.

Shadow sighed and looked around, glancing back at the trees and then back to the cliff as if he was fighting himself to say what was on his mind.

“Because Forest. There’s a part of me….that wants you to win.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is so short! *groans and falls on the floor*
And I barely even edited it and i'm just so 'gah'-y but I feel I should update this somehow and this is the way...

So please enjoy this small part of the story and comment because i'm going to be up all night writing! :D