‹ Prequel: Wishing Stars
Sequel: Dumb and Fearless

Mistakes and Regrets

This Is More Than Just a Dance Hall Drug

I couldn't tell you how long we just laid there, holding each other. I was content to never let it end, but the world moved on, the clock ticked with every second, and we couldn't keep a grasp on the moment forever.

Everywhere had become quiet, and both John and I started to realize that we hadn't heard Kennedy or Jared's hushed voices in awhile. Our eyes locked, and it was almost as if we were telepathic.

Both of us scrambled to our feet, which was harder on the air mattress. We bumped into each other in our haste, and eventually, we were both standing in front of the bedroom door, apprehension building.

My fingers wrapped around the shiny brass knob, and I looked up at John for reassurance. He nodded, and we both held our breath. The knob turned easily in my hand, and the door creaked open. I squealed in excitement, and John whooped. We exchanged a quick high-five before venturing further into the hall.

"Hello?" I called out, turning a full 360 at the end of the hallway. John hit me, and I glared up at him.

"You couldn't have said something else? This is like, horror movie 101," he teased, and I smacked him lightly on the chest.

"I'll trip you and run when the Ax murderer jumps out from behind the fridge. No problem for me," I laughed. He scoffed, crossing his arms.

"Jeez. I'd hate to see what you'd do to your enemy."

I just winked, crossing into the living room. The whole apartment was empty. John and I exchanged frowns, and I wandered through the bathroom, Jared's room, and even a closet. No one.

"What the hell?" John asked, collapsing in defeat on the couch.

I grabbed my phone from my pocket, quickly searching through my contacts. I pressed the talk button a little harder than necessary, my lips pursed in a straight line. John watched me carefully, his expression ranging between curiosity and anger at the guys.

"Hello?" Kennedy responded, and I could hear the smug smile in his voice. Asshole.

"Where the hell are you guys?" I screamed, and I saw John wince on the couch.

"Uh, about an hour after we locked you guys up, Jared and I got bored, so we're at Garrett's, playing video games," he said, his voice a little distracted. I heard him curse under his breath and Pat's laughter as he presumably was killed.

"You didn't think to inform us of this?"

"Uh, no. You guys were busy."

"Kennedy Brock!" I exclaimed, chastising him like a mischievous child. He could sense the annoyance in my voice.

"Hey, I unlocked the door," he said defensively.

"Oh, and thank god for that."

"I'll tell you what. You get ready, and we'll all go out for dinner and then hit up the clubs. We haven't gone to one since you left."

I crinkled my nose as I gave in. It was too hard to be upset at Kennedy. John was watching intently, attempting to read my expression.

"Fine, you're so lucky I love you for some reason I cannot understand. We'll be there in half an hour," I relented, snapping the phone closed before he even said goodbye.

John's full attention was on me, and his lips were separating with his impending question. I waved him off, smiling a bit.

"We're hitting the town tonight, Johnny," I said with flair, disappearing to my room to change.

~*~


"Man, I've forgotten how great it is to just forget everything for a little while," I screamed over the music to Kennedy, who was grinning madly. I took a sip of my fruity drink, and we started walking back to our booth. Within moments of arriving at the packed club, we had lost Pat, Garrett, Tim, Jared, Mia, and John.

"Does this mean I'm forgiven?" he yelled back. I nodded, bumping into him. Even with my heels, I only came up to his shoulders.

"Yes."

John walked up behind us at that very moment, and rested his elbows on my head. I laughed and ducked, causing him to nearly fall right on top of me. Kennedy cocked an eyebrow, watching the whole ordeal.

"Looks like I'm not the only one, huh?" he said with a devious smirk before disappearing in the crowd.

"What was that about?" John inquired, his eyes trailing after Kenny.

"Nothing," I assured him. His mouth was formed to challenge my answer, but I just grinned.

"I love this song, come dance with me!" I demanded, slamming the rest of my drink and setting the empty glass on the table. I grabbed his hand in mine, dragging him through the mob to the dance floor.

With the beat reverberating through my body, I felt invisible. John's hands rested on my hips as we rocked back and forth with the bass. I could feel his breath tickling my ear, and I was completely lost in the music.

The song ended and another rolled around. Both John and I were hesitant to part, so instead, we remained. The sticky body heat surrounded us, and I could feel the sweat building but I didn't care. John and I were the only people on the entire planet.

Until Garrett butted in.

He tapped us lightly on the shoulder, and we both paused, raising slightly disdained eyebrows at him. He just smiled sheepishly, looking us both over.

"What do you need, bro?" John's voice rose above the music.

"Can I cut in?" he asked, a bit nervous after seeing John's expression.

"You wanna dance with Johno?" I teased, trying to lighten the mood. It worked, both of them chuckled.

"Nah," Garrett responded with a wink. "I just wanna say I danced with the prettiest girl in the club."

"Well, how can I say no to that?" I cooed, wrapping my arms around Garrett's shoulders.

John looked a bit ticked, but mumbled a quick agreement before disappearing. I watched him go as Garret's hands found their way to my waist. We swayed to the out of place slow song, and I watched his eyes carefully.

"So, you and John made nice?" he observed, an unreadable look on his face.

"Yeah. Kennedy didn't tell you? He locked us up until we agreed to talk through things," I laughed.

"Kenny always did have the best plans," Garrett commented sarcastically. His eyed clouded and he looked at me seriously. "Just be careful, kay?"

"What do you mean?" I asked defensively. My gaze shifted as my cheeks heated up.

"Shay, you still love him, don't you?" I started to protest, but he didn't give me the chance. "Don't deny it, I saw you guys dancing, just now. I interrupted for a reason."

"Which was what, exactly?"

"John's one of my best friends, and I love him in a totally straight way, but I know how he was. I don't want you to get your heart broken."

"I'm a big girl, Gare. I can take care of myself," I defended.

"I know. It's just, I love you Shay. I worry."

I went up on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "I appreciate it. I love you too."

I pulled him closer to me in a tight embrace. His arms held me safe and secure, even in the midst of the complete chaos of the club.

"Just don't turn into Kenny on me, okay?"

He laughed as we resumed dancing. "Yikes. I'll definitely try not to do that."

I didn't get a chance to respond. Even over the bass and chatter, I heard a voice that I'd recognize anywhere, screaming.

"Oh no," I muttered. Garrett followed my gaze, and he was right behind me as I ran toward the booths.

"Why are you fucking doing this?" John barked at an unmistakable blond. Standing next to her was a guy about John's height, but with at least a hundred pounds of muscle on him. I shrunk back involuntarily.

"John, what's going on?" I asked quietly, grabbing his arm. His attention never turned from Rosalie's smirking face.

"Oh, long time, no see Shayla. I see they still haven't come to there senses and ditched you like the trash you are," she said in a sickly sweet voice.

"Don't you fucking talk shit about her, Rosalie! She's ten times better than you'll ever be, and I swear-"

"John, c'mon, let's get some air," I commanded, tugging his hand. The bodybuilder next to Rose looked like he was ready to pounce.

John complied, following me through the throngs of people.

~*~


"Shay?" John asked quietly, leaning against the railing of the roof. I looked up at him, the setting sun transforming his milky skin into shades of tangerine and roses.

"Hm?"

I hugged my jacket close to me and instead turned my gaze to the lit cigarette between John's long fingers. It dangled over the edge of the building, and as some ask floated off of the burning tip, I noticed what a long fall it was. I shuddered, waiting for his response.

"Thank you."

I cocked an eyebrow in confusion, and he gave me a far away grin. I nudged into him, brushing my hair out of my face.

"For what?" I inquired, watching his clear olive irises scope over the landscape.

"For getting me out of there. If it hadn't been for you, well, let's just say things wouldn't have ended well."

I chuckled, shaking my head a bit. "No problem. I mean, as much as I appreciate you standing up for me and love a good brawl, your scrawny ass would've gotten killed."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence."

"No problem. I didn't want you getting that pretty face smashed in for defending me."

"She was out of line, and I really meant what I said out there."

I laced my arm through his and leaned my head against his shoulder.

"What started the fight anyway?"

"She showed up and felt the need to flaunt her new boyfriend in front of me. I swear, I didn't start it." His voice had something I found odd looming in it. I met his eyes quick, smiling sympathetically.

"I know."

The silence lapsed over us as we smiled at nothing. John puffed on his cancer stick, and my eyes traced over the familiar buildings and streets I'd called home for so long. My vision lingered on two houses right next to each other a little ways away, and a lump formed in my throat. My thumb nail was suddenly resting on my lip, and I bit on it absentmindedly.

"Hey," John murmured suddenly, nudging me with his elbow. I shot from my gaze, my eyes apologetic. "You alright?"

"Yeah," I assured him quickly, my hand flying away from my face. "Just thinking about the past."

"Weren't you the one who said we should leave the past there?" John teased lightly, and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah," I sighed. "It's just one of those things that's harder than it sounds."

He followed my gaze, and I could feel him stiffen as realization flooded over him. One of his long arms was quickly draped over my shoulder, pulling me close to him.

"They're always gonna be with you, Shay," he assured me. I blinked back the tears, nodding.

"I know. They would've liked you, J."

John made a face, and I laughed, although the sound was thick with my repressed sobs.

"I didn't exactly think I was a parent's dream."

"I never said you were," I pointed out, my lips curling into a grin. "I just said they would've liked you."

"Oh, thanks for clearing that up," he grinned sarcastically, turning to face me.

"Any time, John."

In one moment, his eyes were locked with mine. I could feel my heart as his face slowly got closer to mine. His eyes were hesitant, and I bit my lip.

"We should find the guys, yeah?" I blurted out, and John rubbed the back of his neck, backing away.

"Yeah," John agreed, linking arms with me and heading back down to the club.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for all your support, we're almost to ten stars!!!!! Whadya think, can we get it there? I do (:

So, what do you think about the almost kiss? And Garret and Shay's little moment? I'm so excited about what's in store for all of you and this story, and I hope you are, too. Let me know your thoughts and predictions, I LOVE to hear them :D

I'd love to thank these lovely ladies for their constant support through comments : drivingbackwards, forevernalways, RoRo15

xxxo, Sara