‹ Prequel: Wishing Stars
Sequel: Dumb and Fearless

Mistakes and Regrets

Are You Holding On Tight Tonight?

The soft hum of chatter buzzed throughout the room, and I found myself standing alone in the middle of it. I gnawed on the inside of my cheek and pushed my bangs out of my face, trying to remember why the fuck I agreed to this. Sometimes, I hated the guys.

"Oh, thank god, a friendly face," Mia called, and I turned, my lips coiling into a smile.

She strutted toward me, her heels clacking against the ground. Her hair was pulled into a classy bun at the nape of her neck, and her golden dress fell perfectly. I was crazy envious; I'm positive I looked like a frog next to her with my uncontrollable curls, black tank top, and ironically silver skirt.

"Hey, I'm so glad I'll have another girl to hang out with! Actually, I'm surprised we still haven't scared you off," I laughed, wrapping my arms around her gratefully.

"Oh, trust me, I had five older brothers. I don't scare easily."

She followed me to the bar, and we waited to get our drinks. While we made small talk, my eyes scanned through the crowd, trying to make out a specific face. I hadn't decided whether or not I wanted to see him or avoid him.

It had been nearly four days since the library. The guys had got incredibly swamped at the label, and I had managed to get away with only a few texts and calls from John. I still wasn't sure how he was going to fix this, but if I knew one thing, it was that John Cornelius O'Callaghan was true to his word.

"You okay, Shay?" Mia asked, nudging me in the ribs. I hadn't realized she stopped talking. My cheeks flushed in embarrassment, and I bit my lip.

"Yeah, sorry, I'm a space-case," I said lamely, and she chuckled much to my relief.

"It's okay, just making sure you're still breathing. So, if you don't mind me asking, how did you end up in the middle of this crazy party?"

I rolled my eyes, a grin covering my face. "Kennedy didn't want to go because he didn't wanna get all dressed up. So, he figured if he had to come, so did I. And now here I am, and of course he ran off with his 'bros.'"

"Oh, gotcha," Mia nodded, sipping at her drink.

"Mhm. So, where's your man?" I teased, raising an eyebrow.

"They needed his help with something or another. This party is crazy. I mean, it beats any my work has ever thrown," Mia gushed, and I laughed again.

"Yeah, I know. They really know how to party. I guess it just slips my mind, I mean, I've been coming to these things with the guys since the band started."

"Oh wow. So you've known the guys awhile, huh?"

Mia had slipped into the group so naturally, I almost forgot she hadn't been around just as long as me. I nodded slowly, my lips twitching a bit.

"Yeah. I mean, Kennedy and I were next door neighbors, and I even lived with his family for awhile senior year. I met John a little before that, senior year, I mean, and the rest of the guys shortly after," I explained, shutting my eyes.

It didn't even seem like that long ago when I first moved into the small pastel blue house next to Kennedy. God, how I wished I could go back... I shook the memory from my head, looking back up at Mia. She looked like she was reliving her own teenage years.

"Wow, that's like forever," she said slowly, and a laugh escaped my lips before I could stop it.

"For me, yeah. I don't know how I've put up with them this long." I couldn't even keep a straight face as I said it. I couldn't deny I loved the guys.

"You're an angel," Mia agreed, and neither of us could wipe the grins from our glossy lips.

"But really, Jare's great. You found yourself a winner there," I said seriously, and Mia's face lit up.

"I know. It's just so great to find someone who you can be yourself with. Someone that just gets you, you know?"

The library crept into my mind, but I shooed it away. "Yeah, I know."

"So, exactly how long has this little thing between you and Johno been going on?" Mia asked nonchalantly, and I nearly choked on my drink.

I coughed, and felt people staring at me. Finally, I gulped, my eyes wide as I glanced at Mia. She was half-giggling, half-concerned.

"Excuse me?" I asked, slightly out of breath. Mia raised an eyebrow, confiscating my glass before saying another word.

"You guys aren't together?" Her voice sounded shocked. I probably looked appalled. The look on her face told me I was most likely right on.

"No. That night at the club right after we met you, do you remember that psycho blond chick causing the scene? Up until a while ago, John was engaged to her."

"Really? What the hell? She seemed like such a bitch."

"Oh, she is. But John didn't see it right away, I guess."

"How is it that old saying goes?"

"Love is blind?"

"Oh, no, not that. I was thinking more along the lines of 'Men think with their dicks instead of their brains.'"

My jaw fell open, and I stared at her for a few moments. She just looked at me, her eyes dead-serious. I couldn't help it, I burst into laughter right there. Mia chuckled watching me, but didn't say anything. I'm pretty sure the whole room was watching me at this point, but I couldn't bring myself to actually give a fuck.

"Gosh, I love you!" I sputtered out between breaths, and she beamed.

"I'm pretty fond of you myself," she responded, winking. "In a totally not creepy way. I mean, I don't think I'd be leaving Jared for you any time soon."

"Oh darn," I grinned sarcastically.

"But really Shay. You and John haven't dated?"

"Nope."

"And you aren't dating now?"

"No."

She stared at me for a few moments, her lips pursed together in thought. I raised my eyebrows and locked eyes with her, waiting.

"I give it two months, tops," she declared.

"For what, exactly?"

"You and John."

"What the hell makes you think that's gonna happen? I mean, we're just friends," I explained, and she scoffed.

"Shay, are you blind?"

"I have 20-20 vision, thanks."

"Shush and get real for a sec. Do you really not see the way he looks at you?"

"Enlighten me, how exactly does he look at me?"

"Okay, first, when he talks to you or you're talking, he looks directly into your eyes, like what you're saying is the most important thing in the world. And when he's looking at you, something in his eyes softens, and then so does his whole face. It just changes, like, he's content with life. Like he's looking at his favorite thing in the world."

"Okay," I snorted, taking another swig of my drink.

"I'm serious!"

"Alright."

"Mark my words, Shayla. That boy likes you. And from the color you're turning right now, you want to believe me, because you like him right back. You two are just too stubborn to admit it."

My lips parted as I tried to think of some clever denial. My nose started crinkling as I realized I had nothing. Lucky for me, fate and timing were in my favor for once.

"Hey, Shay, get your beautiful-self over here," Garrett called from somewhere behind me. I let out a sigh of relief and motioned for him to wait a second.

"Saved by the bassist," I shrugged, running off before Mia could say anything else.

"You know I'm right!" she called after me, and I latched on to Garrett quickly, giving him a peck on the cheek.

"You're a life saver, Gare. I don't know that I've ever been so happy to see you in my life," I commented, and he smiled, draping a arm lazily around my shoulder.

"What are best friends for?" he asked, pulling me closer to his side.

"Thank you, really. I was about to lose an argument, and we all know that never happens." I paused, and he rolled his eyes. Still, the corners of his lips twitched up. "Now, where are you taking me?"

"Not sure yet, I really haven't thought that far ahead. Just walk with me for now? I wanna talk to you about some stuff."

A weird feeling of dread rose inside my stomach, but I swallowed it back, nodding. My steps matched Garrett's through the crowd. I nodded slowly, pushing my hair out of my eyes.

"M'kay."
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh jeez! What do you think he wants to talk about? And what are you guys thinking of Mia?

For the record, last chapter got the most comments I've ever gotten for chapter. Thank you soooo much to RoRo15, drivingbackwards, forevernalways, lovelyhope, Mrs.EricHalvorsen, soonerorlater, redzoo, and tonguetyd. I love hearing your opinions and thoughts! Let's have more of that, kay? haha <3

xxxo, Sara