‹ Prequel: Wishing Stars
Sequel: Dumb and Fearless

Mistakes and Regrets

You Are My Heaven

I jumped and nearly hit the ceiling when I heard the apartment door creaking open, followed by heavy footsteps. My mind was going into a million different directions and I just prayed it was Kennedy instead of Mia like it had been about half an hour ago. I rolled over from my spot on the sofa to see exactly the person I wanted to see. A part of me was relieved that he wasn't covered in blood, which probably would have been John's. His face gave absolutely nothing away, though, and I could practically feel my heart beating through my chest.

It had been over two hours since he left. Let me repeat that. Two hours. I hadn't gotten a single text or call or hint of any sort from John nor Kennedy, and the suspense was completely killing me. My stomach was a mess and I ended up flopping onto the sofa and staring at the ceiling. For two hours.

Every single time someone walked down the hallway of the apartment complex a part of me jumped, only to be let down. The one time our door actually did fly open, it was Mia, who was ushered to Jared's room before she could ask any questions. Honestly, I think Jared was a little scared himself, but of me.

He had made an attempt to console me as soon as he heard the door slam shut, but I had been too panicky and distant to give Jared a complete replay of what happened between Kenny and me in the kitchen; I ended up sounding like a hysterical lunatic and he slowly inched away, so he didn't serve as much help. Actually, before he retreated completely, he gave me an awkward pat on the head before asking if I was going to eat the last Pop-tart and sprinting to the safety of his bedroom, with the Pop-tart.

Yeah, I just loved my friends right about then.

My mouth was opened to shoot questions and I was prepared to pounce when I was thrown the ultimate curve ball. John's tawny hair appeared behind Kennedy as he walked through the door, completely unscathed.

I blinked a few times before my jaw clamped shut, and I'm ninety-nine percent sure my eyes were just about to pop out of my head. There were no words to describe my train of thought or emotions, and fittingly enough, no words came out of my mouth either. Instead, Kennedy walked over and sat in the recliner, totally ignoring my presence and turning on the television, and John stood awkwardly by the couch's armrest.

He caught my eye and his expression easily slipped into a lopsided-grin. I blinked again as my heart fluttered, all my questions burning in my head. He must have known, because he leaned over and softly kissed my forehead.

"What..?" I quietly sputtered out finally.

"Everything's okay," he whispered in my ear, running one of his fingers along my jawline. "You don't have anything to worry about."

I kissed John quickly on the lips before standing up and striding over until I was directly in front of Kennedy and blocking his view from the TV. He sent me an annoyed glance and I could hear John suck in his breath.

"Shay. You're a much better door than a window," Kennedy pointed out with a frown, attempting to peer around me.

"Always the charmer," I muttered with a roll of my eyes.

"What do you want?" he groaned finally, and I nearly knocked the chair over when I tackled him in a hug. I was partially perched on the arm of the chair as he finally caught his balance, but my head was buried in the crook of his neck and my arms still fastened safely around his torso.

"Thank you," I mumbled against the thin skin of his neck, quiet enough so John wouldn't overhear.

"You're welcome," he murmured back against the top of my head. "I just want you to be happy, Daise. And if John does that for you, then I'm okay with it."

I closed my eyes and breathed in his scent, hugging him a little tighter. "You're my best friend, K. I love you."

He pulled me closer and squeezed my side a bit, his voice gentle and sincere. "Love you too, D."

The few seconds that passed by felt like an eternity, and I didn't even mind. I never had biological siblings, but if I had, I'm pretty sure Kennedy would've been one. He was my family, there was no doubt about it in my mind. I loosened my grip a little and ruffled his already unruly hair.

And then he pushed me off the chair.

I yelped and the sound of my elbow and knee connecting with the floor echoed through the small room. I groaned upon impact, immediately rubbing the points of impact. I was definitely going to have bruises there by the end of the night.

"Dammit Kennedy!" I groaned, only to be met by his chuckles.

"Oops, I spazzed, sorry," he laughed. "Now shhh! I've never seen this episode!"

John was quickly by my side as he pulled me off the ground. I thanked him quietly, but it was totally obvious by the look on his face that he was doing his best to suppress his own laughter. Stupid boys.

"Are you alright?" he asked, resting his hands on my shoulders. I jutted out my bottom lip and batted my eyelashes at him.

"That fucking hurt," I whined, and a quick burst of laughter slipped through his lips before he could stop it. I raised an eyebrow and his face immediately changed. His eyebrows furrowed together and his lips set into a deep frown.

"Do you want me to kiss it better?" he asked in a completely serious voice.

It was my turn to hold back giggles. I didn't trust myself speaking so instead, I just nodded. He made me sit on the couch before kneeling before me and gently kissing my bare knee, and then he proceeded to kiss my throbbing elbow. I beamed as he finally brought his lips to meet mine.

"Okay, just because I didn't kick John's scrawny ass earlier doesn't mean that I won't. I have no desire to watch the two of you be all throw-up cute and lovey dovey. Just get a room or something and let me watch my fucking show in peace!" Kennedy exclaimed, turning to face both of us for the first time.

I looked at John and we both started laughing. Kennedy on the other hand did not look quite so amused. Why is it everything is so much more funny when you're supposed to be serious or quiet?

Kenny's eyes narrowed, and I could feel myself gulping, but for the life of me I just couldn't stop laughing. When I looked back at John, it seemed he was having the exact same problem.

"C'mon," John choked out, grabbing my hand and tugging me out of the living room and then straight out of the apartment.

"I'll be back later," I called before shutting the door behind me and stumbling after John.

Our laughter echoed down the halls and bounced through the stairwell. People we passed probably thought we were fucking mental, but it didn't even matter. All that did was the look on John's face and the sound of his laugh mixing with mine. That and the way his hand was still grasping onto mine as if I were a safety rope.

We made it to the sidewalk before I had to sit down because my stomach was aching so bad. John pulled me onto his lap as the waves of laughter died down and stroked my hair. I sighed contently and looked into his deep emerald eyes, which were gazing right back at me. His lips curled into a grin as I bit my lip.

"Okay, what?" I asked, suddenly feeling self conscious.

"Nothing," he waved off, playing with my fingers.

"Seriously, what was with that look?"

"It's just..." he paused and licked his lips. His eyes met mine and then darted away. "I'm just really happy."

I propped myself up on my own so I was level with his eyes. My head tilted and I could feel my hair brushing over my shoulders and onto his, but neither of us made any movement to do anything about it.

"Oh, really?" I whispered, glancing down to our intertwined fingers.

"Yes, really," he said, using his other hand to lift my chin up so I could meet his gaze. I watched as his face inched toward mine before our lips finally met, and I melted right into him. It was my heaven.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, it's short and overdue, and I'm sorry. Finals were killer and this new mibba threw me off, but no more excuses. I'll try to do better, I pinky swear.

Big thanks to drivingbackwards, RoRo15, forevernalways, soonerorlater, and lovelyhope for their comments and continued support. I love hearing from all of you guys, it brightens my whole day (:

xxxo, Sara