‹ Prequel: Wishing Stars
Sequel: Dumb and Fearless

Mistakes and Regrets

Never too Late to Change the Pace

"Are you sure you're gonna be okay?" John asked for the thousandth time, his hand on the doorknob of my bedroom door. I rolled my eyes and sat up in the bed, pushing my crazy hair back.

"Yes," I assured him, meeting his frantic gaze steadily.

"It's just I know you haven't been feeling well lately and I don't wanna leave you all alone. That would have to make me a terrible boyfriend," he rambled, his eyebrows knit together in actual concern. I shook my head and covered my laugh with a cough.

"John, you have to go to work. I promise you, I'm gonna be alright. I've just probably been overworking myself, but I have today off," I paused to take a breath, and I saw him start to protest. "And I'm not going to be alone, Mia and I are going shopping."

He hesitated before crossing over to me in two steps. Within a moment, he was sitting beside me on my crumpled up sheets, his fingers stroking my cheek lightly. His eyes searched mine, and I put on my best reassuring face.

"You are absolutely positive? 'Cause I can stay."

"John," I groaned, rolling my eyes at him. "I am totally sure. I promise I'll relax. You need to go and record for the next album, and as much as I would love to keep you to myself, we're all grown up now and have commitments."

"I'm gonna stop by after everything to check on you. But if you need anything, just call me."

"Okay."

"And don't let Mia keep you out too late."

"Okay."

"After we record, we have some event to attend, so I might be late."

"I know, you told me."

"Don't try to wait up for me. If you're tired, go to sleep. Sleep is good for the healing process."

I cocked an eyebrow at him before kissing his cheek. "You are just the cutest thing ever, you know that?"

"I'm serious," he said warningly, and I smirked against his skin.

"I know. I swear I'll go to bed early!"

"Good," he said, pulling back far enough to give me a stern look. "I'll try get here as soon as I can."

"Thank you," I whispered, pecking his cheek again. "Don't worry about me too much today. I'll be fine."

"Yeah," he mumbled, kissing my forehead gently. "I love you. I'll see you tonight."

"I love you too," I called after him, holding my breath as he finally left. Then, with a final glance at the clock, I flopped back into the blankets to sleep for five more minutes.

~*~


"Oh my god," Mia exclaimed, tapping her hands against the steering wheel as we waited in traffic. "I forgot how much I missed girl time."

"I know, right? Although, I was never very good at it. I spent high school hanging out with Kennedy, and then him and John, and then we graduated and it was me and the band..." I admitted, running a hand through my hair.

"Well, then you have no idea what you're missing out on," she replied. "But speaking of John... How is that going?"

She shot me an expectant glance, and I felt a smile creeping on my lips just thinking about him. I couldn't find the right words yet, so instead I ran a hand through my curls and tried to untangle my thoughts.

"Pretty good," I said lamely, and she started to laugh.

"You're so holding out on me. I see that grin on your face Shalya!" she scolded teasingly.
"Okay, okay," I said, throwing up my hands in defeat. "I just don't know the right words to explain. I mean, it's John and me. It's everything I've wanted since I was seventeen! It's so amazing and this is just the happiest I've been in a really long time. It's so much better than I even imagined."

Mia sighed wistfully, her smile only growing. "You guys are just the cutest thing."

I blushed, covering my face with my hands. "Okay, what about you and Jared? Huh?"

"Oh, you know," she said nonchalantly, and I raised my eyebrows.

"I don't think I do," I said jokingly. "Elaborate, please."

"We're good. I mean, I've never been with a guy and just felt like it was right. Honestly, I didn't even know if I bought into the whole love thing for me, but then I met him," she paused and glanced at me, a blush creeping across her features. "Oh god, I think I just used every fucking cliche in existence! I swore I would never be this girl. Damn Jared, this is his fault!"

"Awe," I murmured, a goofy grin on my face. "You're so in love."

"Shut up," she shot back, her face turning an even deeper red.

"Now that my dear, is the cutest thing I have ever heard."

Mia took the turn into the mall parking lot a little quick, and I felt my stomach flip. She shot me a glance out of her peripheral vision, one of her thin eyebrows shooting up on her forehead.
"You okay over there?" she asked, her voice unsure as she pulled into a free parking space. "You look even more pale than usual, which is saying something."

I swallowed before managing a meek nod; I wanted to make sure that when I opened my mouth, only words would come out. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little carsick I guess."

"You sure?"

"Yeah," I assured her, opening my door as the feeling passed. "Normal people just don't turn that sharply."

"Hey now!" Mia exclaimed defensively, slamming her door as she trailed behind me. "There was nothing wrong with that turn."

"Whatever you say," I teased.

"I think you're the one in denial," she shot back, bumping against my shoulder.

"Oh really?" I chuckled with a shake of my head.

"Yeah really. I mean every time I've texted you the past two weeks you've either been too tired or not feeling well."

"You sound like John," I accused lightly. "You're both so paranoid. I've just been overworking myself with the new job, and you just need to slow down before you turn."

"Whatever you say bro," Mia giggled with a shake of her head. "You probably caught something at the office, or you could be hardcore PMS-ing, or maybe you're even pregnant!"

She said the last word in a dramatic gasp, and I hit her with the back of my hand as I rolled my eyes. She laughed harder, looping her arm in mine as she dragged us towards one of the shops.

"You're so ridiculous," I groaned, her words echoing in my head. "Maybe John was right, and I should have stayed in bed today."

"Oh, you know you love me," she said with a wave of her hand.

"It's doubtful," I shot back quickly, and she pretended not to hear me.

"Besides, you need new clothes for that fancy new job. Those ripped up jeans you love just aren't gonna cut it."

"You have a point there," I admitted reluctantly.

"Oh, I know," she said smugly.

"Okay, I give in. Help me find a new wardrobe, oh-wise-one!" I said over dramatically and my tone full of sarcasm. Mia caught on, grabbing my hand and pulling me dramatically through the mall.

"My pleasure, young grasshopper! I will show you how to master the art of shopping, and soon enough even those extreme Black Friday shoppers will have nothing on you!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long. I was trying to soak up my last few weeks before senior year I guess. Either way, sorry. So the next chapter will be the last, and then, sequel! Who else is excited?

Thank you to these lovely people : forevernalways, xorachsauce, lovelyhope, becauseiamfree, and Mrs.EricHalvorsen for their comments. I love them.

xxxo, Sara