‹ Prequel: Wishing Stars
Sequel: Dumb and Fearless

Mistakes and Regrets

Soon Enough Girl You're Gonna Realize

"Whoa, Shay, what's going on?" Jared asked as I flew through the door to the apartment. I shrugged, trying to look nonchalant. By the look on his face, I was not successful.

Who was I kidding? I probably looked like a crazed animal.

"Sit down," he demanded, patting the spot next to him on the couch. I obliged quietly, sitting beside him with my hands in my lap. I watched straight ahead, not daring to meet his eyes. If I did...well, the flood would begin.

"I saw John just now. We talked, I guess."

"About what?"

"A lot. What he said this morning, mainly."

"What did he say this morning?"

"You didn't hear? It was an all out screaming match," I said, finally turning to meet his gaze. Only now, he was the one looking every other direction. My mouth fell open, and a smile spread across my face, despite my mood.

"I'm sorry, nope, what did he say?" Jared asked in a rushed breath, his cheeks heating up.

"Oh my god. Jared Monaco! You didn't stay here last night, did you?"

"That's not what we're talking about. We were talking about you and John, and your universe of issues," he said sternly, but I was on a roll now.

"What's her name? I mean, it is a she, right? I'd love you either way, unconditionally," I rambled.

He shot me a dirty look. "Yes, she is a she! You were assuming I was gay? Really?"

I shrugged. "You don't go home with the flocking girls as much as the others. I was just making sure."

"So, because I don't sleep around, you thought...never mind, that's not the point! Last time I checked, I was straight. And we can talk about this later; right now, I'm trying to help you!"

"Well, help me by telling me her name! Is she pretty? I bet she is. She's nice too, am I right? You've always had the best taste in girls out of all of the guys, let's face it-"

"Shay! Take a breath," he ordered, and I paused to do so. He took the opportunity to get a word in. "I'll tell you all about her later, but we both know if you don't talk about this, you'll just carry it with you and get even more depressed-"

"I'm not depressed!" I interjected.

"And you'll take it out in some rash way, like at the party."

I hung my head, choosing now to be quiet. I knew he was right, but I just didn't want to admit it. I bit down on my lip, debating what to say. Jared waited patiently.

"This morning he stormed in and accused Kenny and me of sleeping together, and just blew up on me. I went out to clear my head, and John found me there. He sat down, and we talked about me leaving, and the argument, and the whole shebang." Not exactly, I skipped the part about the devil in the stilettos, but close enough. "He tried to sell me some excuse about him sucking at the last couple of songs last night."

Jared chuckled a bit. "That wasn't an excuse. He really did."

"You're kidding," I gasped, my eyes wide. "Why?"

"I'd like to know myself," Kennedy jumped in, closing the door behind him.

"Hey Kenny," I called, and he walked over and sat on the other side of me, an arm wrapping tightly around me.

"I'd appreciate it if you'd stop running out on me," he whispered against my head. I rolled my eyes.

"I didn't run. And I'd appreciate it if you stop being so overprotective."

"I can't," he admitted.

"Then it looks like we're at an impasse here, huh?"

"Whatever." It was his turn to roll his eyes. I smirked.

"So, did he really mess up that bad?" I asked impatiently, my eyes flickering to the two guys.

"Yeah," Kennedy said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"He butchered lyrics, was way off on some of the notes, nearly tripped over the chord of his mic..." Jared added.

"You're kidding," I gasped. Both of them shook their heads. "What was his problem?"

"I dunno. I was keeping track of you. And then you weren't there, and John was fucking up, and I had two problems," Kennedy explained.

"I'm sorry I'm such an inconvenience," I said sarcastically.

"You know what I meant," he clarified.

"Uh huh." Then, my eyes lit up. "So, Jared, what's her name?"

He groaned, and Kennedy gave us an odd look. He started to say something, but I pointed my finger at his face, and he shut his mouth.

"Mia. We met a couple months ago," he said grudgingly.

I squealed, and both of them were suddenly staring at me like I belonged in an asylum. I waved it off, turning my full attention back to Jared.

"Jare, I'm so excited for you! How did you meet? How long have you been dating? What's she like?"

"We met by chance. She was walking her dog, and I was walking to find Pat, and her dog kinda tackled me. We've been dating for a month and a half. She's incredible.

"Um, she's twenty-two, and just graduated from ASU, a music education major. She's so beautiful, but it's like she doesn't even know it. And she's hilarious, and loves animals, hence, the dog, ya know. She's an amazing cook, and we all know that doesn't hurt. And when she smiles, I wanna smile. She's perfect."

He had a far off look in his eyes that made me smile bigger. His features were soft, and he looked genuinely happy.

"Awe, Jare!"

"I'm sorry, I need to barf," Kennedy muttered. I smacked him in the middle of his chest dismissively.

"Don't listen to him. He's jealous 'cause he hasn't gotten laid in ages," I teased.

"Excuse me?" Kennedy stuttered. Jared laughed beside me, trying to muffle it in his hands.

"You heard me."

"Hey, for all you know, I have three girlfriends," he said defensively.

"Really, what are their names?" Jared asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Psh. You don't know them," Kennedy shot back.

"Uh huh," I said, my eyebrows high on my forehead. I turned back to Jared, still smirking.

"So, why are we just finding out about Mia now?"

"Because my personal life is just that. Personal."

"Awe, but Jared! When can we meet her?"

He shook his head, trying to hide his grin. "Has it ever occurred to you that there's a reason I haven't introduced you guys yet? I wouldn't want to scare her off."

"You think we'll scare her off?" I asked, offended. Kennedy mimicked my hurt face behind me. He thought I wouldn't notice.

"Quite frankly, yes. I mean, Garrett flirts with anything that breathes, Pat is so hyper, it's like he's on drugs, you," he pointed at Kennedy, "have that creeper facial hair-"

"Hey, not cool bro!"

"It's the truth! But I'm not done. John gets so wasted he tries talking to the parking meters, and Shay," he hesitated, and I cocked an eyebrow.

"Go ahead. I wanna hear this," I encouraged sharply.

"I love you all, you know, but Shay, you and John can barely be in the same room together, and then there's Rose to consider." They all shuddered when he said her name.

"I guess," I mumbled.

"You know I love you. And I'll tell you what, I'll bring her to the party Friday."

"Great. What party?" I asked.

"Tim's throwing a party to celebrate, well, just celebrate. And you're coming, right?"

"Oh, Jared, don't do this to me," I groaned, flopping against the back of the couch.

"What?"

"Tell me I can meet her at the party, which I'm sure has a catch."

"Ding ding ding, we have a winner!" Kennedy cheered, and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Oh, c'mon Shayla," Jared begged.

"What's the catch?"

"John and Rose are gonna be there," he said softly.

"See, there it is!"

"Please, Shay?" Jared begged.

"Yeah, Shayla. Please?" Kennedy repeated.

I looked between them desperately. They knew I hated it when they ganged up on me. Finally, I scrunched up my nose, letting out a defeated sigh.

"Okay, I'll go!" I said, with no enthusiasm. In fact, each letter seemed to be laced with dread.

"It'll be a blast, I promise," Jared vowed. I shut my eyes, leaning against Kennedy's shoulder.

"Yeah, you're right. 'Cause the things you promise me always work out just like that."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, so this story has three stars, and if we get one more subscriber, it'll be four. For only six chapters. You guys blow my mind (: My best rated story was six, and it didn't even get there until well after I finished the series it was a part of. You rock!

Thank you RoRo15, forevernalways, and drivingbackwards for their comments. I love hearing from you guys, and what you're thinking (:

I hope to update soon, so we'll see.

xxxo, Sara