‹ Prequel: Wishing Stars
Sequel: Dumb and Fearless

Mistakes and Regrets

Haven't You People Ever Heard Of Closing A Goddamn Door?

I took a deep, steadying breath as I looked in the bathroom mirror once more. I played with my hair, then returned it to where it had originally been. I fussed with my black dress, and fixed my makeup.

"Shay, I swear, I've been waiting out here for five hours," Kennedy complained, smashing his fist against the door. I rolled my eyes, pushing a stray auburn curl back towards my high ponytail.

"Please, Kennedy, it's been one at most." I opened the door, giving him a smirk and a once-over. "Plus, it takes time to look this good, not that you would know."

"Real nice," he grumbled, moving aside so I could walk past. "You do look really great though."

I paused in the middle of slipping on my silver pump, my jaw dropped. "Did Kennedy Brock just compliment me? What has this world come to?"

"Don't get used to it," he laughed, holding my purse and coat out to me.

"I have to cherish this moment, I mean, it may never happen again," I joked, hobbling around trying to put on my other heel. He lightly pushed me, and I tipped onto his bed. I glared, snatching my stuff from his hands and standing up with a huff.

"Ass," I mumbled, but couldn't keep the grin from my face.

"But I'm your ass." I looked at him, my eyes dancing with amusement. He rolled his eyes. "You so know what I meant."

"Yeah, but that doesn't make it not funny," I taunted.

"Can we just go now? We're gonna be late," he grumbled. I froze in my spot.

"I don't wanna go," I whispered, my bottom lip jutting out automatically. Kennedy looked at me sympathetically, grabbing my hand.

"I know, but you gotta."

"Rose is gonna be there with her fucking over sized ring and smug mouth and haughty glares."

"But Jared's girlfriend is gonna be there. You don't wanna miss that, do you?" he pointed out, and I sucked up my pride, strolling toward the door.

"You're right. Don't get used to hearing that!"

~*~


The bass thumped, and I could feel it reverberating in my body. Flashbacks of the last party I went to filled my mind, and I did my best to push them away. That was not a night I wanted to relive.

"You ready for this?" Kennedy whispered in my ear, a protective arm around my waist. I nodded, not wanting my voice to give me away.

I scanned the room, which was warm from too many people. I saw Pat and Garrett hitting on a group of pretty girls, Tim talking animatedly with some of his friends, and oddly enough, while John was with him, the she-devil nowhere in sight. Before I had time to question it, Jared's approaching figure distracted me.

He was holding the hand of a beautiful girl, who looked really nervous. Her soft ash blond bob was stick straight, and her eyes were a sparkling hazel. Her olive dress played up her eyes, and was simple but classic. Even with her heels, she was shorter than Jared, and I liked her already.

"Hey man," Kennedy said, wagging his eyebrows while Mia wasn't looking. Jared gave him a sharp look, and I had to bite back laughter. This was exactly the reason why he hadn't wanted to introduce her to us all, and I couldn't blame him.

"Hey guys," he looked at Mia with a grin, and she smiled back nervously before turning to us. "This is Mia, my girlfriend."

"It's really nice to meet you, we've heard so much about you," I said excitedly, reaching over to give her a hug. After a moment of shock, she hugged back.

"Yeah, what she said," Kennedy laughed. "I'm Kennedy, and that's Shay. She doesn't get the personal space thing."

I rolled my eyes as Jared laughed. "Thanks Kenny. But really Mia, if you don't like your space invaded, look out for Garrett."

"I met him just a few minutes ago actually," she laughed. "I know what you mean, thanks for the belated warning."

"Hey, with all these boys running around, we gotta look out for each other," I joked with a wink. Jared and Kennedy pretended to be offended, which only made us laugh.

"Okay, let's introduce you to John and Tim before Shay convinces you of the evils of men," he teased, draping an arm around her shoulder.

"It was really nice to meet you. I'll see you two around later," I smiled, and they did the same.

"Same. It's nice knowing I'll have a girl to hang out with at these things," Mia responded.

"Nice meeting you, Mia," Kennedy repeated, hitting Jared lightly on the shoulder. I would never understand guys. Never.

"She seems super nice," I commented after they were out of earshot.

"Yeah. Look at how happy he looks! I mean, if I didn't know any better, I would think he was high or something," Kennedy chuckled. I smacked him lightly on the chest, and he muttered a half-assed apology.

"See? This party's already better than the last one," Kennedy said after awhile, and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, and let's pray it stays that way."

~*~


"Shay, have I mentioned how glad I am that you're back?" Pat asked, giving me a huge beam. I couldn't help but return it. We were sitting on a black leather couch, and my legs were resting across his lap.

"Just once or twice. I'm glad, too. I really missed you guys," I admitted, my head lolling back against the slate gray cushions.

"You know, everyone really missed you, too," he pointed out. I looked at him, twisting my bracelet absentmindedly.

"Yeah?"

"Of course!"

I sighed, watching the dim ceiling light instead. "Sometimes I'm not so sure."

"Don't be crazy, Shay. I mean, after you left, we tried everything to look for you. We harassed your old landlord, called your phone a ridiculous amount of times, tried to hack your Facebook page-"

"What?" I screamed, cutting him off. He laughed, waving me off.

"Don't worry, we weren't successful."

"Lemme get this straight; you tried to break into my personal Facebook and you harassed Miss Douglass? The poor lady! What were you guys doing? She's harmless, and like, ninety!" I could hear how ridiculous this whole situation sounded in my head, and Pat must have too.

"I'm sorry, but we were desperate, and she was the last one in Tempe you talked to!"
"You guys are insane," I muttered, trying to help my laughter. Pat and I were soon giggling like little girls, but I just couldn't help it. The whole thing just seemed so dramatic and bizarre.

Oh, my boys.

"Shut up," he scolded, grinning like mad. "I told you, we all missed you. I mean, John charmed that old lady blind."

"John?" I asked, trying to keep my voice from rising. I failed.

"Yeah, John. Talking to Miss Douglass was his idea," Pat explained slowly.

My mind was spinning as I tried to process this information. Why hadn't anyone mentioned this to me? Why hadn't John told me? Pat seemed to sense my confusion and stumbled over words, trying to help.

I didn't hear any of them, though. My ears were filled with my watery heart beat; even the roaring music and people screaming sounded quiet compared to it.

"Hey Pat? I'm gonna go get a drink," I mumbled, swinging my feet to the floor.

I wandered aimlessly through the sea of people, making my way to the kitchen. A couple were against the counter shoving their tongues down each others' throats, and I looked away in disgust. I fumbled with a red plastic cup, and filled it from one of the ornate bottles set out on the counter. I wasn't paying much attention to what it was, I just knew it was alcohol, and from the smell, it was strong.

I heard the girl on the counter hit her elbow on something, and she yelped.

"You okay?" the man asked in a low voice.

"Yeah. Don't worry about me Baby."

The hairs stood on the back of my neck, and I slipped quickly out of their view. I would have recognized that voice anywhere. I pressed myself against doorway in the hall, and watched as the drunken couple giddily continued their attack on the other's face.

The man was a complete stranger to me, with sandy hair and clouded brown eyes, but the girl was something else. I peered back into the dimly lit kitchen, and a head of unmistakable platinum blond hair filled my view. Her stiletto clad feet dangled off the counter where she sat, and as her fingers ran through the man's hair, a glimmer on her finger caught my eye.

Every single fiber of my being was on fire, and I could feel my anger rising. I was appalled and at the same time, not at all surprised. That little bitch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my gosh. I really wanna hear your thoughts on this one, guys (:

So, it's still a little shorter than usual, but whatdya think? A lot went down in this chapter, and I'm pretty happy with it. And if you like this one, just wait for the next one. I've got tons in store for you all.

Thanks to RoRo15 , forevernalways , overlooked , drivingbackwards , and cityrockerfashion6 I got lots of feedback on the last chapter, and I was so thankful. Y'all are great, even you silent readers <3

xxxo, Sara