Sequel: There You Are

Here I Am

One

I had an hour left before I had to head over to afternoon skate. I was just wasting time in Millennium Park, kicking around the light powder of snow that early November had granted for Chicago. I had nothing better to do.

That was when life proved me wrong.

“Riley! Riley!” a woman’s laughter rang out as a small child plowed into my legs and stumbled back.

He looked up at me and I couldn’t help but smile at his giant, curious chocolate brown eyes. I bet Tazer’s eyes looked this innocent once. When he was like three maybe.

“Sorry Mister,” he smiled. “I was playing tag.”

I smiled back. “That’s alright. I think you won.”

“Delia’s slow in the snow.”

The woman calling out, who was probably named Delia caught up, bending down to catch her breath. After a moment, she stood up straight and smiled and I was frozen in my spot. She turned to the boy. “Jesus Riles. You sure can run pretty dang fast. Who’s this?” her blue eyes turned to me.

I was transfixed by this woman who stood before me. She stood pretty tall, maybe 5'6 or 5'7, her dark boots, reaching her knees and covered with snow. She held her chin high, her light curls cascading down her shoulders underneath her winter hat. Her hair wasn’t quite blonde, but not dark enough to be labeled as a brunette either. She smiled at my hesitation and I let go of a breath I didn’t realize I was holding.

“Oh, um me?” I asked stupidly.

A coy smile spread across her lips. “Yes you. I’m sorry he ran into you. There’s usually nobody here at this time in the day.”

“Oh um. It’s no problem. Really.”

She pushed some of her hair out her sharp, blue eyes. “Do you have a name mister stutters a lot?” she joked.

Riley looked between me and Delia, waiting for an answer. “Corey,” I blurted out.

“Well hello there Corey. It’s a pleasure to meet you. This is Riley,” she gestured down to the boy. “And I’m his nanny, Delia.”

Nanny. I figured she was too young to be his mother. “Nice to meet both of you.”

“Hold old are you?” Riley asked suddenly.

Delia laughed. “Riley!” she exclaimed. “You can’t go around asking strangers how old they are.”

“But he’s not a stranger. I know his name!” he argued.

“You know nothing else about him,” she countered.

“Well that’s because I’m only on my first question,” he answered like it was obvious.

She held her hands up. “Well excuse me,” she joked.

“I’m twenty six,” I replied to Riley’s question.

“I’m six. Almost seven. You’re old,” he declared.

“Hey!” Delia cried out. “I’m twenty five! Am I old?” she tested the six year old boy.

“‘Course not Delia. You’re my nanny. You can’t be old.”

She smiled again, ruffling his hair. “Good answer buddy. Well apologize to Mister Corey for running into him and calling him old.”

He rolled his eyes as he turned so she couldn’t see him, but a smile reached his face upon looking up at me. “I’m sorry Mister Corey for running into you and calling you old. You’re not that old.”

“Thanks buddy. I do appreciate that.”

“Come along now Riley. Your math tutor should be arriving soon.”

The young boy’s face lit up. “I have to go now. I get to go learn math now! Bye Mister Corey!”

I smiled. “Bye Riley.”

I turned to Delia. “Goodbye Corey. It was a pleasure meeting you.”

“Do you come here often?” I blurted out.

She was walking away, but turned to me, a smirk on her strawberry colored lips, her blue eyes dancing. “Why?”

“Oh um. . . uh well. . .” I struggled for words.

She winked. “I’m just messing with you. We’ll be here Friday. Maybe we’ll see you then?”

I nodded. “Bye Delia. . . ?”

“Staal,” she answered walking backwards to catch up with Riley. “Delia Staal.”

And then the mysterious nanny and her little boy disappeared. Until Friday.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am on a roll with writing :) comments :)