Sequel: There You Are

Here I Am

Fifteen

That night I started off sleeping on the couch, but towards one in the morning, I heard Delia crying in her bedroom. I got up and scooted her over and held her until she finally fell asleep. Like a friend would and not a guy who really wanted to be her boyfriend of course.

“So,” the lawyer,started off, sitting at her kitchen table. Delia and I sat across from him, waiting. “They left you everything. Their house, most of their belongings, their money, everything.”

“Riley?” Delia said, not caring about the material items.

“They stated you to be his legal guardians.”

She looked so relieved and terrified at the same time. “Okay. When can I take him home?” she asked.

“The social worker is bringing him over now,” he said. “Any questions? Call me,” he said and he was out the door, replaced by a little six year old kid.

“Delia!” he shouted and ran into her arms, her hugging him so hard, it was a wonder he could breathe.

“Hey there buddy,” she said, her voice strained and cracked.

“What’s going to happen?” he asked, once they broke apart.

“You’re living with me buddy,” she said, trying to smile.

He nodded. “Okay,” he said in a small voice.

“Are you tired buddy?” she asked. “Why don’t you go lay in my bed and try to sleep a bit while Corey and I talk, okay?”

He nodded and padded into her bedroom hopefully for some shut eye. She sat back down and sighed. “I’m going to have to sell my apartment. It’s only a one bedroom apartment. And. . oh my God. I’m going to need to enroll him in public school. And find a house. And go through their house. And sell their house! Oh my God!” she moaned, her face in her hands.

“Hey,” I said, rubbing her back. “Look at me,” I said softly. Her shining eyes met mine and I smiled. “It’s going to be okay. We’ll sell your apartment and get him enrolled tomorrow so he can start right after the holidays. We’ll work on their house after the holidays when you both are a little bit more ready. Okay?”

She only looked more horrified. “It will be Christmas in a week! Oh my God!” she moaned again.

Great going Corey, I cursed myself silently. “Come on,” I said, standing up. “Get some of your things packed. You two are staying at my place.”

She looked up. “Corey, we can’t.”

“Yes you can,” I said, taking her hand and she stood. “I have no real plans for this Christmas. We have a short break so I wasn’t going home, only having a small gathering with a couple of the guys. I don’t want you two spending Christmas alone, okay?” I said, looking her in the eye. “And you know I have more than enough room.”

She nodded. “Okay.”

An hour later, she had her stuff packed and I said I would drive over to Riley’s house to get the things he needed. Delia looked beyond grateful.

“I brought home tacos,” I said, shutting the front door.

“I hope you brought enough to feed all the rest of the guys,” Delia said from the living room.

I walked in and saw Kruger, Toews, Scott, Kane, and Stalberg sitting in my living room. Riley was asleep on Scott’s lap and Delia was having her hair braided by Kaner.

“That actually looks good,” I commented on Kaner’s haristyling while setting down the bags. “I’ll order some more takeout,” I added on. “Shouldn’t take long.”

“Well,” Kaner said. “Not to brag but having sisters does prepare me for the life of braiding hair and other various styles. I’m also very good at pig tails.”

Delia rolled her eyes, but a small smile made it onto her lips. “Well if this hockey thing ever drops out on you, I’ll be sure to help you start your own hairstyling business with an emphasis on braids.”

“Thanks Delia, that means a lot,” he said with a straight face.

The rest of the food came and Delia woke Riley but he just stared at it and said he wasn’t hungry.

“Come on sweetie, eat something please?” Delia held out a small plate for him.

He shook his head. “I’m not hungry. I want Mommy and Daddy,” his eyes welled up and Delia just stood up. “Sweetie, I know you do. You’ll just have to deal with me,” she said, her voice choked up.

He frowned, tears running down his face and my heart broke in two pieces for that little six year old boy who had just lost his parents.

“I’ll uh be right back,” Delia said in an even tone, before setting the food down and walking down the hall and turning into my bedroom and shut the door.

Riley looked even sadder. “Did I hurt her feelings?” he asked, looking at Scott.

“No buddy,” the big hockey player said, ruffling his hair. “You didn’t hurt her feelings. She just doesn’t know how to make you feel better, that’s all. Come on, get into your snow gear and we’ll go play outside for a while, okay?”

He nodded and Kaner helped him into his snow suit before him and Scott took him outside to start a snowman.

“I’ll go check on Delia,” I said and I really did mean it, but my feet weren’t going anywhere.

“Dude, your feet actually have to move in order to go and check on her,” Stalberg said. “Just go. She likes you.”

I nodded my head and found her in my bedroom, staring out the window at the three boys playing outside in my backyard.

“Are you okay?” I asked her, standing behind her.

“I don’t know if I’m cut out for this yet. I don’t know how to make him feel better,” she sounded so glum.

Without really thinking, I wrapped my arms around her waist and I was surprised that she leaned backwards into me. “You’re not alone Delia. You know that, right?”

“Now I do Corey Crawford.”

An hour later Delia had Riley set up in my guest bedroom and she was heading towards the couch. She was just about to lay down and fall asleep when I walked up to her. “Come here,” I offered her my hand and she took it.

“Where are we going Core?” she asked wearily.

I walked her into my bedroom and pulled back the covers. “Get in.”

She looked slightly wary. “I’m not taking your bed from you.”

I smiled. “Only half.”

She smiled back and crawled in, snuggling up to one of my pillows right away, looking somewhat more relaxed. “Thank you Corey.”

“Of course. I’m getting up earlier for practice tomorrow. Would you two like to come with?”

“Mhm,” she was already asleep when I asked her.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's been a while. program screwed me over again and now it's hopefully finally fixed :)