Sequel: There You Are

Here I Am

Five

I was taking my gear off after the game against the Canucks, satisfied with the way we all played tonight, resulting in a 5-1 win. I just really hate the Canucks and their little green men. I shivered at the thought of them holding up the naked Kesler cut out at Car Bomb in the penalty box.

“Good game Crow,” Kruger came by, already stripped down to a pair of shorts and a black t-shirt.

“Thanks man. Thanks for that shot block in the last few minutes,” I said to him, taking off my pads.

He laughed. “It was one of those things that I did before I could think and as my body hit the ice, I was cursing the guy who shot the damn puck.”

“Corey!” a little voice exploded throughout the room and I smiled, knowing exactly who it was. The little guy ran up to me, breathless from excitement and running. “Corey! You guys were awesome!”

“Thanks Riles,” I ruffled his hair. “Riley this is Marcus Kruger,” I introduced him to the Swede.

The kid’s eyes were the size of hockey pucks with admiration. “Wow. Hi!” he jumped up.

Kruger laughed. “Nice to meet you Riley.”

“Where’s Delia?” I asked the six year old.

“What? I don’t know,” he waved the question off, already running towards Seabrook and Keith, his excitement levels raising by the second.

“Is Delia the woman you’ve been hanging out with lately?” Toews wandered over, looking at Riley as he sprinted past, going towards Sharp.

I sighed and nodded. I knew Kruger and Tazer wouldn’t give me too much grief. Well scratch Tazer. “You already knew that,” I grumbled.

He grinned. “I was just curious about this girl is all.”

“Yeah, uh huh whatever.”

“She came didn’t she?” he challenged me.

I sighed.

“Well where is she?” Kruger was looking around the changing room. “I want to see this mysterious woman.”

“Who are we looking for guys?” a voice made all of us jump a few feet. She laughed at our reaction. “Man for a bunch of tough, hockey players, you all are sure jumpy.”

“Delia,” her name rolled off my tongue and I looked her over, head to toe like I did every time I saw her.

She didn’t have anything Blackhawks on, but she wore a red long sleeve and her black fleece jacket to compensate. “Oh, so you’re Delia,” Toews also looked her up and down, trying to gather enough details for a first impression.

“And I take it you’re Jonathan Toews, Captain of the Chicago Blackhawks,” she winked. “And who are you?” she glanced at Kruger before laying her eyes on me and I realized I was only in a pair of shorts and a sweaty t-shirt. Great.

“Marcus Kruger,” the other hockey player said. “Pleasure to meet you Ms. Delia.”

She smiled. “I like him Corey.”

“Hey!” Tazer sounded offended.

“Aw don’t worry Johnny Two Toes, you’re kind of adorable too.”

I only felt a little jealous that she called Tazer adorable, but still. I felt jealous over a girl who wasn’t even technically mine yet.

The captain only rolled his eyes. “Sharpie and Seabs again?”

“They were telling Riley all of the names that you love to be called,” she told him, looking over at Riley. “You have a lot of nicknames,” she smiled mischievously at Tazer.

He sighed. “Fantastic. I’m going to go teach your kid something actually useful in life, like how to beat Sharpie in a shootout.”

Delia shook her head, chuckling to herself. “You’ve got quite the team boys,” she said to Kruger and me after Johnny stomped off towards his friends.

“Guys!” Kaner exploded. “I found Crow’s girl!”

Oh no.

“Where?” Delia looked around. Her eyes landed on the short blonde and she smiled wickedly. “Aw Kaner, you don’t have to point out where you’re standing. We all know you like Corey, but alas, I don’t believe he shares the same feelings for you.”

Kaner only smiled. “Crow says you hate hockey.”

She rolled her eyes and I vowed to punch the little squirt later during our next practice.

“Just for the record, next time you decide to turn over the puck twice to the other team, don’t bother showing up. That goal was technically your fault,” she crossed her arms and I was impressed by how well she paid attention.

Kaner turned to me instead. “I thought you said she didn’t know hockey.”

“Crow says this. Crow says that!” I threw my hands into the air. “Crow says nothing at all and would appreciate it if you shut your trap too.”

“I never said I didn’t know how the game is played,” she circled Kaner slowly, each step deliberately and painfully slow. “I just said I wasn’t too fond of it. Trust me my dear, I know how the game is played.”

“I like her. Keep her,” Kruger told me. “Bring her and the kid around more.”

I couldn’t help but smile.

A little while later, I told Delia and Riley I would take them home as to not take the bus so late at night.

“Wow, he’s out like a light,” I commented on Riley who was dead asleep in the backseat.

“Well yeah,” Delia chuckled. “He bounced in his seat the entire game and spent the hour afterwards chasing players around the changing room. And it’s late.”

“Ah yes. I am sorry for how late this is,” I smiled apologetically.

She shrugged. “It’s no problem.”

I pulled up to Riley’s house. “Do you want me to drive you home?” I asked the nanny as she unloaded the sleeping six year old.

“Oh no. you don’t have to,” she waved me off. “You’ve played a hard game. Really it’s not big deal.”

I smiled and helped her get Riley into her arms. “Please. I want to.”

She sighed. “All right. Give me a few minutes.”

I waited patiently outside while she put Riley to bed and she came rushing out, pulling her hat down further on her head, due to the snow fall.

I started the drive again and at first we sat in silence. “Thank you, but you really didn’t have to. You must be exhausted.”

“Eh,” I said. “I can sleep on the plane tomorrow.”

“Two game road trip,” she nodded her head.

“You’ve been keeping up,” I said nonchalantly.

I could feel her rolling her eyes. “Ever since I sat down to watch one game after I figured out who you were, it’s like hockey took over me.”

“I could see that earlier. You looked. . . very happy at the game,” I paused, looking for the correct word.

“Yeah, I suppose I was,” she sounded so far away.

“Do you know why your mother did not like hockey?”

I pulled up to her apartment building then and I knew that the conversation would end on that lingering question.

“My mother was a mystery to me ever since I was little girl. Very superstitious and stuck in her ways. She liked to hold grudges,” Delia said, opening the car door and stepping outside into the frigid weather. “Thank you again Mr. Crawford for the ride home. You played absolutely wonderful tonight and good luck on your road trip.”

She closed the door and I watched her hurry up to the front door. “Good night Delia. Sleep well.”
♠ ♠ ♠
so Corey is my obsession and it has only been fueled by him not playing :( i miss him in net. i like emery, but Corey is just my man.