Better in the Middle

one

Minho doesn’t really care when people tell him off for being such a ‘hyung-whore’ as they call it. He’s used to being the youngest, used to being doted on for being younger. He likes how the word ‘hyung’ rolls out of his mouth, and he likes how ‘Minho-yah’ sounds coming from Eunhyuk-hyung and Donghae-hyung. He likes being able to go around and play with the hyungs and just be taken care of – feel his youth and feel carefree because there’s someone else to look out for him.

But once his eyes catch Taemin’s even from far across the room, something inside him clicks and he can suddenly find himself running over to the younger boy and calling out an endearing ‘Taemin-ah!” He’ll find himself throwing an arm over his slim shoulders and asking him how school went and if anyone’s bullied him again. He’ll smile when he sees Taemin’s eyes crinkle at the corners as he laughs and tells Minho that he’s fine.

Minho likes being the youngest and likes being doted on, but there’s just something extra special about being a hyung to Taemin that he likes. There’s this innocence in Taemin that he wants to protect and he knows he’ll do just about anything – legal or not – to anyone who tries to take it away from his dongsaeng.

“Minho hyung, what’re you watching?”

Minho looked up from his laptop where he was watching videos on Youtube – old videos of them on Youtube, if anyone wanted to be specific. Taemin plopped down next to him on the couch, still towel-drying his hair – fresh from a shower after an exhausting dance practice at the studio.

“Watching you cry,” he answered truthfully, eyes trailing back to the paused video on his screen before clicking the play button.

“Taesung hyung-“

“Ah, hyung, why are you watching that? It’s so embarrassing!” Taemin made to grab the laptop from him but Minho pushed his hands away before they could touch the gadget on his lap. The younger frowned at him and childishly stuck his tongue out, “Melong!”

Minho simply rolled his eyes and smiled. “Come on, Taemin, it wasn’t that bad. It’s not like you’re the only person ever to have cried on a radio broadcast.”

“But hyung,” the younger whined, “I look like such a mushroom there.”

“And aren’t you just the cutest mushroom?” Minho laughed, trying to balance the laptop on his thighs as he leaned back on the couch, eyes disappearing and mouth open wide.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, the cutest. Tch.” Taemin poked Minho’s side before getting up and going in his room, leaving the older still clutching his stomach and laptop.

As Minho calmed down, evened out his breaths and played the video again, his thoughts flew back to that day and he caught himself doing just a little bit more than reminiscing the old days.

2 years back


Minho watched as tears slid down Taemin’s cheeks, voice cracking as he spoke into the microphone. Mentions of family could always turn any idol into a crying mess; Minho doesn’t think that just because they’re new they’re exempted. He himself could already feel tears pricking the back of his eyes when the word ‘hyung’ was mentioned. He hadn’t seen much of his older brother either, and he really missed playing video games with him. Maybe he’ll give him a call later too.

As he continued watching Taemin, with his shoulders shaking every now and then and his eyes red and watery, he found his heart softening and warming up to the younger boy he had only met just a few months back. Sure they both missed their hyungs, but Minho could definitely handle it – he didn’t feel all too bad not seeing him for a while. After all, they did spend most of their childhood days together. Taemin on the other hand, looked so lost and upset, not being with his family for such a lengthened period of time. He figured, maybe Taemin just needed someone to step in as the older brother figure for him – just to fill in that missing hole in his heart where his brother’s daily smiles and ‘good morning’s used to be.

So he – secretly – volunteered himself for the role, pulling his shoulders back and glancing now and then at Taemin’s tired form. And at the end of the show, he surprised everyone, who seemed used to his quiet and recluse nature, by slinging an arm around Taemin’s shoulders and giving him a small smile. The younger looked shocked for a moment before drinking in Minho’s sincerity and giving a small smile back.
“Thanks, Minho hyung.”

Present


Minho did certainly like being the youngest once in a while.

He stood and put the laptop down on the coffee table in front of him before heading into the room Taemin disappeared into.

But more often than not,

He found Taemin sitting on his bed, going through his homework with a frown on his face.

And not as much as he’d like to admit,

Taemin looked up at him with a helpless look in his eyes, practically begging Minho to come over and sit down beside him and go through his homework again, but this time, together. “Hyung~”

He most definitely loves being a hyung all the time – for Taemin, at least.