Sequel: Pins and Needles

Philly Ink

A Real Father

(Abigail’s POV)

Since getting the keys to the shop, time passed by as if it didn’t really exist. Vern hadn’t taken Claudia since the weekend Matt had been an ass to him and I had spoken to neither my ex or Chad. It had actually been a rather quiet time and for once, I was grateful for it. The days spent with my little girl had been peaceful, but in my life, that never lasted long.

Claudia and I had been playing CandyLand on the floor of our apartment. It was my daughter’s very favorite game and we had played at least twice before during the morning.

“I win again!” Claudia shouted in excitement. Once she collected the pieces to the game, she gave me a speculative look. “Wow Mommy. You are really bad at this game.”

“Thanks a lot, Claud.” I said with a shake of my head and a chuckle. My daughter was too much.

A knock sounded at the door suddenly and Claudia looked at it in confusion. “Did you invite someone over Momma?”

“No… Did you?” I asked with a grin.

“No!” She shrieked with giggles.

I was still laughing when I pulled the door open. My laughs faltered as my eyes took in the sight in front of me. Vern stood there, but he didn’t look like the Vern I was used to seeing. He had shaved his beard off, his hair was cut and styled nicely and the clothing he wore were definitely not his.

“Hey Abby.” He said with a genuine smile. It was as if he were really happy to see me. “Can I come in?”

“Who are you and where did you put Vern?” I asked with a laugh, moving aside so he could enter the apartment.

“Vern realized he had some growing up to do.” He answered with a responding laugh. “Where’s my little girl?”

I nodded towards the living room where Claudia was setting up a new game of CandyLand. I couldn’t wait until she outgrew it. He smiled at the sight before turning back to me.

“I won’t bother her, but I just wanted to let you know I got a job.”

The smile spread across my face without conscious thought. “Really? Where?”

“The electric company down the road.” He said with a shrug as if it wasn’t practically a miracle. “It’s not much money, but it’s something.”

“No, Vern, that’s great!” I said in excitement. I had to keep myself from hugging him.

“Yeah I wanted to get a job close to the apartment so I could pick Claudia up after work. Then I can see her more.” Vern smiled at the thought. “I’m sorry about everything I’ve done over the past eight years, Babs. I wish I could make it up to you.”

I could cry I was so happy. Instead, I put a hand on his arm. “You are. What prompted this?”

“Actually it was your brother. After he told me I needed to shape up and be a real father, I decided to prove him I could do it. I didn’t realize I would be proving something to myself too.” Vern glanced back into the living room at Claudia. “I want to do it for her.”

“I’m so proud of you, Vern.” I said, meaning it for the first time. I had never been proud of anything my ex had done, but seeing this change in him was wonderful. “Claudia will be too.”

“Dana packed.” Vern said as an afterthought. “She knows how much Claudia means to me and having her in my life means having you in it and… well she couldn’t handle that.”

“Maybe it wasn’t meant to be.”

“It wasn’t, but I did love her Babs.” Vern sighed and put his hands in his pockets. “Let Claudia know I stopped by?”

I nodded as he headed for the door. I reached for his arm to stop him. He leveled a questioning glance at me. I smiled at him reassuringly. “You want to take her for the weekend?”

Vern’s expression turned to excitement. “Yes. I would like that. Thank you, Abby.”

“You are her father.” I reminded him with a shake of my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Happiness finally appears :) Please comment!