Sequel: Pins and Needles

Philly Ink

Nanny McChad

(Chad’s POV)

I was surprised when Abigail had called me to watch Claudia for the night. She had said something about wanting to spend time with Lauren just in case the youngest Margera did another disappearing act. I didn’t blame her in the least. Besides, it meant I could spend time with my most favorite little kid in the whole wide world.

That said kid was currently busy with my guitar on the floor of the living room. I had taught her a few chords of one of CKY’s old songs and she had kept herself busy playing them over and over again afterwards. I had an odd feeling inside that Claudia would end up as a musician for her career. The kid had an ear for music.

Sitting with my virgin Coke on the couch watching Claudia in silence, I thought back on the many years I had known her mother. Abigail Miller was a very interesting young woman from the get go. She had been adventurous for her age and it had driven her older brothers, Matt and Deron, insane. Even her parents worried about her a lot when she wasn’t under their supervision. Matt had always been afraid of his baby sister ruining her life and when she had gotten pregnant, he had flipped out and almost beat Vern to death. I had an odd feeling that Matt was one of the reasons Vern had left Babs all those years ago.

Matt and well… Deron of course. If the rest of us thought Matt was protective of Abigail, then Der was ten times worse than his older brother. He had personally known what kind of person Vern was when Babs had started to date him and had practically begged her not to go through with the relationship. It had only made the young woman want to date the rocker even more. I knew all about pushing a sister into some stupid action since I had two of them.

Taking a long sip of the alcohol-less soda, I thought back on the first day I had met Abigail. I had recently met Deron and we were on the verge of creating our own rock band. oiL was going to be big and I had enormous plans for what we would do once we made the big time. Then I met little Abigail Miller. Deron and the other boys called her Abby, but there was something about her that I found attractive. I didn’t know what it was, but I started to call her ‘baby’ without thinking about it beforehand.

The first day Deron had heard me call his sister that he almost kicked my ass. I say ‘almost’ because he couldn’t win even if he tried. So instead I began to label her ‘Babs.’ Who knew that the nickname would stick?

Leaving the couch, I walked to wear Claudia sat with the guitar in her hands. Many people wouldn’t believe that I would let a child touch my instruments, but Claudia was different. I knew she wouldn’t break them. The child displayed guilt way too often over the littlest things that she would never allow herself to break anything that didn’t belong to her. I smiled as she finally got the hang of the riff.

Her big green eyes glanced up in my direction. “I did it!”

Nodding, I took the guitar from her and played the exact riff she had spent the last two hours practicing. “Pretty soon you’ll be able to do it like me.”

“Damn straight. Then I’ll show Daddy I’m better than him at guitar.”

I had to keep from laughing at that statement. She was definitely the spitting image of Babs. I honestly didn’t know how Vern could keep himself from spoiling this little girl. It took all of what I had inside of me not to see her every day. She wasn’t my child, but I loved Claudia as if she were my own. The way Vern treated her at times, however, made me feel as if he didn’t even care he had a child that he was responsible for.

A knock at the door interrupted my thoughts. Handing the guitar back to Claudia, I went to the door, wondering who was there. I knew I hadn’t invited anyone over this week and most of my friends knew I had Claudia with me so they would avoid coming over if they could. None of them thought I was fun when the girl was around.

Pulling the door open, I paused at the sight of my on and off girlfriend standing there. This was not something I was expecting.

“What’s up babe?” I asked in confusion. “What are you doing here?”

Amy flashed me a bright smile and tucked a stray piece of bright red hair behind her small ear. “I wanted to surprise you.” She paused for dramatic effect. “Are you surprised?”

I didn’t respond for a few seconds. Then I shook my head to clear it before responding. “Yeah. I am. I ask again, what are you doing here?”

“Is it wrong that I missed you?” She asked with a pout to her lips and her hips cocked to the side. It looked kinda hot when she did that.

“Uh- Come in.”

I moved out of the way so Amy could enter. She noticed Claudia sitting on the floor with the guitar and gave me a strange look.

“What is Babs’ daughter doing here?” Amy asked.

I had forgotten about the little bundle of joy sitting on my living room floor for a few moments. Sighing, I ran a hand through my messy hair. “Babysitting. What’s your excuse for being here?”

Amy gave me a stern look before she entered the living room and sat on the couch I had occupied less than a few minutes before. “We need to talk apparently.”

Taking the hint, I bent down beside Claudia. “Hey sweetie. Do you mind going and playing in the back room for a little while. I need to have a grown up talk with Amy ok?”

Claudia nodded and left the room with the guitar in her hands. I watched her for a moment longer before I faced Amy. “So what did we need to talk about?”

“If we are going to have a relationship, Chad, we need to talk about these old feelings you’ve been having for Abigail. You’re obviously not over them.” Amy started.

“Old feelings?” I repeated in total confusion. “Amy- I don’t have feelings for Abby.”

Amy laughed without any humor in her tone. “Of course you don’t. You just watch her kid practically every other day when she isn’t with her real father.”

I sat across from her on the coffee table and lifted the drink to my lips. After swallowing the sweet liquid, I decided to say what was on my mind. “I have no idea what you’re talking about. Claudia is a sweet kid who I adore and I love spending time with her. Her mother is just a good friend and the sister of one of my band mates.”

“Makes it easier to brush aside doesn’t it Chad?” Amy said in a sad tone. “Pretending she’s just a good friend… Pretending all she is to you is Deron’s baby sister.”

“Besides those things, she is also the woman who dated one of my best friends and got pregnant then was abandoned by him.” I snapped at her. “I feel slightly responsible for that.”

“Why? It’s not your fault Vern did what he did.” Amy said back, obviously tired of the conversation she started.

“No, it’s not, but I can’t help, but feel that way. Sorry you don’t like it, but I’m not changing for anyone.” I told her angrily.

I wouldn’t look at her as she stood. It was clear she was upset, but I wasn’t going to be provoked into another argument.

“You have changed Chad. You just haven’t realized it yet.” Amy said before heading for the front door. She must have paused at the doorway because I heard the last words she spoke before exiting my life for good. “You’ve changed for Abigail because you love her.”