Status: Done :)

When We Were Young

Good Ol' Days

Felt weird walking down the streets of Poughkeepsie, New York. Two years away from this town does things to you, especially if one's been living in a city like Los Angeles during that time period. I was happy to still know my way around.
I was currently on my way to meet some old friends, Tay Jardine and Cameron Hurley. They were two out of the few best friends I still had contact with after moving away. They wouldn't stop begging me to come meet them at our favorite childhood spot from back in the day. As I got closer to the local park, I saw two familiar figures sitting at a swing set just kicking the sand back and forth. The petite brunette rose her head and smiled when saw me. She got up off the swing and tackled me with a huge hug.
"I can't believe it! You're actually here! I missed ya so much Erika!"
I giggled and hugged her back. "I missed you too Tay."
"Long time no see squirt."
I let go of Tay and smiled at the dark-haired male behind her. "Hey Cameron."
I walked up to him and gave him a hug as well. After that small little warm welcome, we walked around town for a bit and reminisced on the good ol' days. Back in those days everything seemed so carefree. To them that is. As for me, well that's a different story.
Seconds turned into minutes. Minutes turned into hours. Before I knew it, 5 hours had already passed. It was time for us to leave. Tay had a family dinner to go to and Cameron made plans to meet up with his girlfriend, Brittany, at the movies. We did make plans for the following few days though in hopes that our other friends could make it. After saying goodbye, I made my way to my stationed car by that park and drove off home.
Once I got home, I hung my keys on the key holder by the front door and took off my shoes.
"Erika, is that you?" my mom called out from the living room.
"No mom, it's just some serial killer who so happened to have the keys to the house and is ready to stab you to death."
"Oh ok well before you do that, would you like some dinner? I saved some for you in the fridge."
"Thanks."
I walked into the kitchen and headed straight towards the fridge. Like she had said there was dinner all wrapped up in aluminum foil. I uncovered it and popped it into the fridge for 4 minutes. As I waited, I hopped up on the island in the middle of the kitchen and kicked my feet back and forth. My mom made her way into the kitchen and hopped on top of the counter across from me.
"So how was your day with the gang?" she asked.
"I only hung out with Tay and Cameron today. Everyone else was working but I still had fun, not gonna lie."
She nodded. "I'm glad you had a blast. Any plans for the rest of the week?"
I nodded. "Actually yea. I'm really looking forward to them."
"Are you sure it's not because what’s his name might be there?"
I groaned. "Mom..."
I took my food out of the microwave and chowed down before heading to my room, taking a shower and going to sleep afterwards. I was anxious yet nervous about the following day.
♠ ♠ ♠
New Short Story.
Enjoy!