Familiar Faces

Chapter One

Taking a sip from his coffee, Sam looked around the local café and all the busy people. He was sitting alone in Starbucks with his laptop. It was a rare day off for him and his brother. While Dean had decided to stay in their cheap hotel room and watch the free cable, Sam had opted to venture into the small town. Something about the town all seemed oddly familiar to him, but he shrugged the feeling off. He turned his laptop off and threw the small plastic cup in the trashcan. Standing up, Sam stretched and closed his laptop before placing it tightly underneath his armpit.

He walked out of the café and into the small, but busy streets. He walked by a building before a bright paper caught his eye. Stopping, Sam looked at the wall and began reading a flyer. It was about an art exhibit that was going to begin in a couple of hours. His thoughts immediately went back to his college days and all the people that were artists on the side to make a little extra money while attending Stanford. Smiling to himself, he ripped the paper off with his free arm and folded it up in his pocket.
---

“Where have you been all day?” Dean asked. He was laying down on the bed with his hand on the remote.

Sam had just walked in the door when Dean asked him. He placed his laptop on the table and closed the door behind him. He took a seat next to the kitchen table and sat down. “I just went to the little Starbucks a block down the street.”

“And you didn’t bring me anything back?”

“I…”

“Naw, it’s okay Sammy, I was just joking with you,” Dean replied back with a small chuckle. “I am thinking about going to that local diner that we passed by. It looked like it had good food. How ‘bout it?”

“Actually, I have other plans.” As soon as he finished the sentence, Sam suddenly felt awkward.

Dean cocked an eyebrow up at his younger brother. “You got a hot date or something?”

“No.” Sam pulled the flyer from his jeans and threw it at Dean.

Dean quickly scanned the paper before scoffing at it and throwing it back to Sam. “You like that kind of stuff? I knew you were a nerd, but not an artsy one.”

Sam rolled his eyes. It was typical of his brother to make smart remarks like that. “I thought it would be interesting.”

“I bet.”

Sam didn’t feel like continuing the conversation with Dean because he already knew the way it was heading. Instead, he simply flipped his laptop open and read the local news. A few minutes passed by before Dean started the conversation back up.

“So you’re still going to that art thing?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“Can you bring me a pie on your way back home? I haven’t had one in such a long time and it’s about time for one. You know what I mean?”

“No, I don’t, but I’ll get you one anyway.” Looking at the time on the computer screen, Sam saw that it was nearly time for the art convention to start. He quickly turned his laptop off and stood up. “Hey Dean,” he said while turning over to his brother that was lying on the bed. “I’m about to leave. I’ll get your pie, okay. I should be back in like less than two hours.”

Dean nodded his head. “Okay Sammy. Just don’t go too crazy when you see all the Van Gogh paintings and junk.”

Coming from Dean, Sam knew that was probably the nicest thing he could say without coming off as snarky. Ever since they were kids, Sam would go to school events and clubs, and Dean would always make fun of him and call him geeky. Grinning to himself, Sam nodded his head and walked over to the door. “See you later Dean.”

“Bye Sam!”