Status: NaNoWriMo 2011!!

Unwritten Pages

Something Missing

“I don't really remember him,” Desiree admits. “Not much of him anyways. All I remember was him trying to shove his tongue down my throat and me trying to push him away.”

I find it disturbing to listen to stuff like this. Especially when it's about my obnoxious neighbour and my girlfriend. It sounds like he had tried to rape her.

We're at McDonald. We've finished most of our food and we're just sitting at the table talking right now.

“So that's why you gave the finger to him?” I ask.

Desiree nods. “For that and for the insults. It's really offensive.”

“Chris is like that,” I say. “He's always been immature.”

“Isn't he seventeen?” Desiree asks.

“No,” I say, “he's nineteen. He failed ninth grade once, remember?”

“No,” Desiree says, “I don't remember those things. I don't really care.”

“But he sticks out like a sore thumb!” I say. “He's obnoxious and arrogant. Just the kind of bastard that would make you want to beat the crap out of him. Especially if he's your neighbour. Maybe you'd want to kick him in the crotch.”

Desiree shrugs. “I don't really care about him. He's annoying and all, but you just learn to cool down and ignore him. All he wants is to get a response out of you.”

“Don't be a hypocrite,” I say. “You responded by giving him the finger.”

“That's different,” she says. “All he wants is to start a fight. I just gave him the finger and walked away. He was embarrassed, didn't you see? Completely red in the face.”

“Yeah,” I say, “red with anger. He's going to rape you.”

Desiree makes a face at me and takes a sip from the coke. “He already tried that. What makes you think that he'll succeed this time? And...” she adds, looking away sheepishly. “I have you to protect me.”

Sometimes, the things she says and the way she says it makes me really embarrassed. In a good way...I guess.

“Hey,” I say suddenly. “Desiree, don't you feel something odd emitting from Chris?”

Desiree gives me an odd look. “What?”

I shrug. “Just asking.”

Desiree gives me a smile. “You're probably just tired,” she says. “That's why you feel all weird.”

I nod but I'm not sure about this. There's just...something about Chris. Now that I think about it: something sinister.

How had I not noticed this before?

But...there's something missing from all this. Like I'm missing a big piece in the puzzle that screams out. But I don't know what. And I don't know what the puzzle is about either.

There's just something missing...