Status: NaNoWriMo 2011!!

Unwritten Pages

In The Dark

I knock impatiently on his door. I expect him to be partying somewhere so it really surprises me when his door swings open. His hair is tousled and he looks like he's just woken up. I look over his shoulder to make sure that there's no girl sauntering up behind him. I'd hate to have to interrupt a 'personal' thing. Again.

He takes one look at me and he's about to close the door until I say, “What do you know about Aiden?”

He stops and frowns. “What the hell is this about?” he asks me. I don't answer his question. I only repeat my words again like he hadn't heard a thing I had just said. I keep my tone steady.

“Nothing, really,” he says slowly. “Look, I don't know what type of crap you're trying to pull but—”

“Do you want to help Winter or not?” I snap. “Seriously, Drew. Winter must have let something slip by when you were consoling her. Do you want Aiden or not?”

“What has gotten into you?” Drew asks, giving me an odd look. “She told me nothing. Chill, can you?”

I don't know why I'm acting like this but seeing Drew really sets me off. “Chill? You're asking me to chill? Are you out of your mind?” Maybe he really is out of his mind.

“You're out of your mind,” Drew says, his lips twitching up a bit. That only makes me angrier. I'm about to spit something back at him when he speaks again. “What do you want to know?” he asks me.

“So you do know something,” I say. Drew lets out a weary sigh like I'm one of his new girlfriends that don't understand anything. Like I'm one of those brainless girls he dates from time to time.

That thought makes a fresh wave of anger course through me. One: I am not a girl. Two: I hate when people assume that I'm stupid.

“Not really,” Drew says. He raises both hands in the air as a sigh or somewhat surrender. “But you're acting like a crazy maniac right now so I might as well tell you all I know before you murder me.”

I take a breath and force myself to calm down. I'm not exactly why I'm acting this way. I had just got home and a few hours later, I tracked down Drew's house and burst in like this. Maybe it's Winter's note doing this is to me. I feel so...off.

“I'm in the dark of things,” he tells me. “All I know about this Aiden guy is that he...” Drew shifts uncomfortably and then says, “He...well, he raped her.”

We both flinch as we hear the word. It's not something good. I'm sure Drew has plenty of one night stands or whatnot but this is completely different. This can tear lives apart. This ruined Winter's life. This shattered her spirit.

I flash back to ninth grade. Avery and I use to joke about raping women all the time. Not seriously. It had been for fun. Just one of the things we would do to look cool. Now, looking back, I can't believe how absolutely stupid I had been. Rape isn't something to joke about and it's certainly not funny. Unless it's the type of black humour that Avery and I would use it for.

“What else?” I demand. “I already know what he did to her.”

Drew hesitates. “Not sure. But will you leave me alone if I tell you what else I know?”

I stare at him. “What do you think? Do you think I'll beg you to let me in the house so I can curl up somewhere. What do you take me for? One of your girlfriends?”

Drew snorts and then says, “Aiden; black haired, blue eyes. But they said that on the television so—”

But I'm not listening anymore. Black haired...blue eyes. Sounds like me... Like...him.

I know who Aiden is.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well now it's kind of obvious. No? :)