Status: NaNoWriMo 2011!!

Unwritten Pages

Lyrics Of The Dead

“Yeah, okay, bye,” Desiree says, her voice a bit muffled. The line is cut. I sigh as I drop my phone on my bed.

Liane Chau and her stupid schemes. She's had such a huge effect on the whole school and Desiree. Liane hasn't even given any proof! This just shows how much people are willing to believe lies and false truths for scandals.

I curse at Liane under my breath. I hate her. I hate her. I hate her.

She's given Desiree a bad name. Along with Arianna. And Winter. The three most innocent people I've met. They don't deserve this crap.

I can't help but think: this is my fault.

Where would Liane get the drug part of her made-up story from? Obviously from me. Where else?

I want to punch her.

Seriously.

I know it'll take a lot of restraining not to, the next time I see her face.

I sigh and look at the calender. It's a week from the day of Winter's death now. A week. Already. A week since Winter's been gone.

Today is her funeral.

I still don't know what to say at her funeral. Will I remind everyone of her tendency to quote things or start off into some poetic stance? What will I say? Should I say something heartfelt and meaningful? Or should I just say that she was a great friend?

I honestly don't know what to say at the funeral. I know that Liane will be coming. Maybe looking for more scandals. And I know a lot of other students are coming as well.

I groan as I think about them. Hungry vultures and harpies, all together, waiting for some sort of prey.

Liane has already gotten her fair share of prey. Maybe more. I wonder if she's gaining social status from her article. Probably.

It's Thursday morning. And I'm trying to think up something to say for her funeral. Maybe I can say something that opposes Liane's stupid article. Though I'm sure many people wouldn't believe what I say. Why exchange scandal for the dull boring truth?

Winter's death isn't dull and boring, I think angrily, it's crazy and insane.

Why would Winter do something so insane? It's not like her... It's not like her at all—

I shake the thoughts out of my head. I'm starting to over think things. I tend to do that sometimes.

My phone starts ringing again. I hear the first line of Winter's Melody start to play. Winter's favourite song—the song she wrote.

Viewing winter as a cold summer's day,
viewing the sky as a brightly lit night.
Scowling upon our gifts,
we are ever greedy.

Smile to the sky.
Smile to the world.
For if you do not,
you only miss what is being given.

Smile to your gifts.
Cherish everyone.

For tomorrow you may wake,
and find them gone.


This time, I let it play on. I don't want to answer any calls right now. I don't even check the number of the caller. I just close my eyes and immerse myself in the memories. I listen to her voice—as if she were guiding me on some sort of journey.

Whispers in the wind, oh
darkness in their hearts.
An unnoticed girl,
just yearning to be heard.

No, no, no...

Silent troubles,
silent pleas.
No one listens,
because no one hears.

Smile to the sky.
Smile to the world.
For if you do not,
you only miss what is being given.

Smile to your gifts.
Cherish everyone.

For tomorrow you may wake,
and find them gone.


There's some sort of meaning behind that song. I know it. But I don't try to decipher it. Winter always put meanings into words and poems. I keep my eyes shut and keep listening.

Oh, will you see through the veil?
Oh,
will you see what she's trying to hide?
Will you see the words...
on the unwritten pages?

Smile, smile, smile.

Smile, smile, smile...

It's the winter's melody,
the cold depths of despair.

Behind every smile is a breaking heart...
Behind every unwritten page is a hidden meaning...

Will you open your eyes?

Will you finally see?


Open my eyes to what? The lyrics were getting dark. Winter wrote this about two months ago. Could this song be a... A piece of evidence?

The bright blue sky...
Unknown, not knowing...

The horrors of this world...

But...

Smile...

Before tomorrow comes,
and the winds,
take them away...


The song comes to an end. My eyes open. I turn off my phone and grab my iPod from the top of my drawer. I've recorded a lot of Winter's songs. My ring-tone... I think Winter named that song 'Smile'. I just call it Winter's Melody.

I start flipping through the list of Winter's songs. She wrote a lot. But I just want to find the ones she wrote this year.

I accidentally press the first song on the list. The one she made in ninth grade. I know this one's about me. And the drugs. The title is 'Dark Betrayals'.

The coldness of the blade,
why do you enjoy it?

The darkness of its heart,
why do you crave it?

It destroys,
everything in its path.

Including you.


I switch to another song. It's called 'Beautiful'.

Beautiful love,
beautiful hate.
I love you,
is all you have to say.

The way you smile,
the way she smiles.

One day, I'll have a story like you too.
One day, I'll be like you too.

But you have to...
remember to cherish your every moment.

Every moment with her.


I know that one's about Desiree and I. Winter played it for us two years ago. I scroll down my list until it hits the bottom—the last song Winter composed before her death.

Silent tears,
silent leers.

Listening to the silence for two years.

Bright souls,
bright minds.
It takes it's toll,
it's unkind.

Whispering winds,
whispering words.
An obvious sin,
but unheard.

Heartless souls,
heartless...

Breathing the flame of life,
the death bury their strife.

Broken vows,
Broken Promises...

Are what lies,
in this silence.


The song comes to a slow end. Winter's voice fades away softly. What did she mean in that song? There seems to be so many hidden messages. The song is called 'Silence'. And it doesn't sound as if Winter's singing about something joyful.

Before I can stop myself, I press another song, which has quite an interesting title. And it's a line in the song, 'Smile'.

Opening up the stories,
opening up their lives.
All the pages are written,
except for some of the last.

Maybe when the sun shines,
will you find what's lying behind,
the unwritten pages.

The blue butterfly,
the broken wings of a butterfly.

Innocent, pure.
Tainted, dark.

Maybe when the sun shines,
will you find what's lying behind,
the unwritten pages.

Hidden meanings,
hidden pain.

Maybe when the sun shines...
(Oh, maybe when the sun shines)

Unwritten, unwritten, unwritten...

Oh, oh, oh...

Maybe when the sun shines...
(Oh maybe...)
Will you find the what's hidden,
in the unwritten pages?

(Unwritten, unwritten, unwritten...)

Unwritten pages.

Unwritten pages...


I realize that this may be one of the most developed one out of all her songs. She's worked hard on it. Adding the harmony into the melody too.

It's a beautiful song. Very haunting... 'Unwritten Pages' is dark, regretful and...bittersweet.

I wonder what's she's singing about?

But I know it's going to be hard to decipher all this. Winter always puts complicated meanings behind lyrics. They're always so meaningful.

I think about an earlier song, 'Dark Betrayals'. Absentmindedly, I listen to that song again.

The coldness of the blade,
why do you enjoy it?

The darkness of its heart,
why do you crave it?

It destroys,
everything in its path.

Including you.

Sweet pain, they say.
Hate is what it's made.

The dark ways of the blade.
The dark ways of its heart.
Why do you enjoy it?
Why do you crave it?

One day,
it will turn on you.

Your dark betrayals.


Now, listening to the songs, I realize that Winter had had a lot of dark things and thoughts running through her mind. Not only for my problem with drugs...

But her problems as well...

I shake the thought of Winter's darkness out of my head. Trying to understand the lyrics of the dead are rarely easy. Especially if that person is Winterlyn Evaline Lawly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Well anyways... Bet you're wondering who that caller was that he didn't answer... Well, it'll be reveiled... In chapter...10ish.