He Says, She Says

She says

"This room is tiny," Anderson yelled from the room as I dragged all our bags down the hall and into the room. The room was small, two win beds and a TV cramped into the room along with the bathroom. I knew this going in, everyone is there for Christmas. Booking a room on such short notice, this was the best I could do I was lucky I got a room for two. Liz was staying wither family and I had no interest in taking that invite. I didn't want to chose between either one of my parents, and I wouldn't stay with either anyway. Not even if I were paid.

I dropped all the bags upon entering the room and just glared at Anderson, who at this point was already lounging on a bed with the TV on. "You know," I said crossing my arms, "in most circumstances the guy takes all the bags, but not with you Anderson, you leave it all on me."

"We're not in medieval Europe, Sid" he changed the channel not even sparing me a glance, "chivalry is dead."

I rolled my eyes, "it's a wonder you've never really had a relationship." He just shushed me and I nodded before walking in front of the TV. He gave me a shocked look and I smiled, "don't get to comfortable, we have our first social event this evening." He looked at me confused and I pointed to the bathroom, "I'm going to get ready, I suggest you do the same. And I also suggest you wear the blue sweater Cat made you pack."

I grabbed all my stuff and went into the bathroom to change, fix my hair and touch up the makeup I had on. It was my mom's annual Christmas Eve party, it was a dressy/casual type thing. The private school community loved to have these parties and pretend they were richer and more pretentious than they truly are. Which meant as far as guys went sweaters or button up shirts worked perfectly. For me, I had completely different plans. "Where are we going," Anderson knocked on the door.

"My mother's Christmas Eve Party," I said, "it's an annual thing." My relationship with my mom was never perfect. When she said stop, I'd go; when she said don't, I would. Truth was, we never saw eye to eye, and I never really forgave her for looking at me as the disappointment of the family. So, I always rebelled her by dressing defiantly for all her stupid parties. This explained the tight leather pants I decided to sport, I also wore it with a plain white tank and a purple blazer. Those were totally something I'd wear anyway, in fact the blazer was my favorite piece of clothing in my closet.

I stepped out and walked over to my bag, to get my shoes. "Whoa," Anderson said giving me a weird look, "those pants are tight."

"Thanks," I said still digging to find the boots, "get a load of the boots." I pulled them out and showed them to him. They were high heel black leather calf boots. It was decorated with brass studs and some leather fringe at the top.

"Sidney Greene in heels," he laughed, "I thought I'd never see such a sight."

"Funny," I said putting my shoes on. As soon as I finished I stood up and turned around, "so tell me, if you were a mom, how would you feel about me, you're daughter."

"Considering you look like a mix between a bad ass and a stripper," he thought about it, "I'd say disapproval and utter disappointment." He shook his head as if those were his actual feelings.

"Perfect," I grabbed a handbag and then opened the door. He walked out ahead of me and I followed him to the elevator. As i pressed the button to go down, the thought emerged into my mind, "oh yeah, just so you know my sister is a complete whore."

"Okay," he said unsure, "and you are telling me this because."

"Because if you sleep with her," I said scolding him, "I will never speak to her again."

"Too bad I'm in a relationship because that seems like a pretty sweet deal," he said. I hit him on the shoulder playfully.

"Being in a relationship has never stopped you before," I said.

"Really," he looked at me unsure, "I don't think I've been in too many relationships since we met." I was going to say something, but nothing came to mind so I just rolled my eyes. Then we hopped into a cab and headed towards my mom's house.

When we pulled up to the house on the crowded street I felt totally unsettled inside. "Wow," I said unsure, "I haven't been here in five years." I just stared at the house, "maybe we should just go." I looked at it again, "yeah let's go."

I turned to walk back to the cab, that had already left. Anderson grabbed my arm turning me around, "Sid, we didn't come all the way here to sit in a hotel."

I rolled my eyes, "fine." I lead the way, walking into a house that looked vaguely familiar along with several people who looked vaguely familiar. There was no doubt that half the people I went to high school with were there, but I hardly believed anyone would recognize me.

"Sidney," came an annoying voice. No one except Liz. "I didn't think you'd come," she said grabbing my arm, "Anthony is right over there." She pointed to the guy I recognized immediately. He had the same dirty blonde hair that seemed to be perfectly messed up, he was tall and I don't know why, but his glasses always had me week at the knees.

"That's the guy," Anderson said, "that's the guy who was wildly popular and completely out of your league."

"He was ASB President and class president every year before," I said coming to his defense.

"I know it's a small school, but I was still expecting a football player or some type of athlete," he said giving me an unsure look.

"Believe it or not, I was always into the smart mature guys," I said, "never once has a muscular beefcake impressed me, never have I fallen for the brainless athlete, not once was I dazzled by the common tricks of a womanizing player like you." I paused for a second, "I am above that."

"And bye above that," he said, "I suppose you mean into boring guys who only strike your interest for a small amount of time."

"We don't have time to argue how messed up either of you are," Liz sad intervening. She looked at me, "so let's go talk to him."

"No," I stopped her, "I want him to find me. In the meantime, I should go find my mother." I took two steps forward and then looked back, "Anderson, you are coming with me." I walked to the kitchen whee I knew I'd find my mom slaving away. She was dressed in her usual, a casual black dress, she had about four that she rotated. I tapped her on the shoulder, "hello mom."

She turned around and gave me a look of disapproval, "you don't visit or call for five years, and then you show up at my party dressed like a ... like a hoodlum. What is it you want Sidney."

"Nice to see you too mom," I nodded and then said, "mom I want to introduce you to Anderson."

He put his hand out for a handshake, "it's nice to meet you, I've heard a lot."

"Well that can't be good," she took his hand and then she turned to me, "very nice Sidney, he's very hansom." I opened my mouth to explain, but she continued, "and very well dressed, you could learn a thing or two." She turned back to him, "what is it you said you do?"

"I'm studying to be a lawyer, but I work part time as a receptionist at a firm in the city," he said.

"That is fantastic," she said, "I always thought Sidney here would make an excellent lawyer, the girl lies like her father, but she always had her head in the clouds wanting to be a musician. That's why he moved across the country."

"Mrs. Greene," Anderson interrupted my mothers talking, "Sid and I both go to NYU Law, but really she is a fantastic musician." I rolled my eyes, trying to make me look good, what a suck up.

"You convinced her to do something sensible and you support her ridiculous dreams," she turned to me, "Sidney, this one's a keeper." She turned back to him, "it was the only real talent she had, her impeccable taste in men. That she got from me."

Anderson looked back and smiled at me and I glared and then turned to my mother. "Mom," I said slowly, "Anderson and I aren't dating, he's my best friend."

"I knew it was too good to be true," she said, "I knew from the day you turned ten that I was never going to find a guy crazy enough to marry you."

"Always comforting words mom," I said sarcastically.

She ignored me and looked at Anderson, "how much would I have to pay you to marry my daughter."

I hit my head and grabbed Anderson by the arm, "nice catching up, makes me wonder why I left, bye." I got us out of the kitchen and sighed from relief. He just stood there laughing. "I hate that woman with every entity of my being."

"Oh common, Sid," he said, "she's not so bad, she may really hate you, but you have to admit the woman is an excellent judge of character. By the way, how much do you think she would pay me to propose to you right now."

I nodded my head annoyed, "yeah that's romance there, Rachel is a lucky girl." I walked into the living room, which was crowded, probably beyond capacity, and then made my way outside and climbed onto the roof.

It was like high school all over. "Tough night," someone said behind me, "or just wanted to get away from the commotion."

"A little bit of both," I said looking forward not paying attention to the stranger on my roof.

"I knew a girl who used to climb up here every year," he said, no doubt this person knew me, no doubt this was Anthony. "She was the love of my life," he said. He was always corny, but on him it always seemed to work. The excessive cheese never irritated me, maybe it was because he's the only person I ever really felt strongly for.

I nodded, "is that so."

I looked over and smiled as he took the seat next to me and continued, "yeah." He took a long pause, "but about five years ago she left without saying goodbye. The girl of my dreams flew across the country to follow her dreams."

"Sounds horrible," I said playing along.

"It was, and worse," he said looking forward, "she shows up here, tonight, five years later and doesn't even say hello."

I rose my eyebrow and looked over, "I would have, but I got nervous, it's been a while. You could have fallen in love with someone else, i couldn't waltz in like nothing at all had happened, like time hadn't passed."

"Nothing has happened," he said looking at me, "because my world is nothing without you." I rolled my eyes playfully and took the initiative and kissing him. Oh yeah, I remember this, this was the only good memory I had of this place.