He Says, She Says

She says

I didn't go to Liz's house, I went home, I bought a last minute ticket and went home a day early. I opened the door the next day angrily and kind of stopped in the doorway when I noticed the dimmed lighting and all the candles. I saw Cat's head pop up from the couch and just looked at me for a second before saying, "I thought you weren't coming back till tomorrow." She put on a robe and stood up and then her date or whatever he was stood up.

"Oh," I said turning away slightly, "I'm so sorry," I felt really awkward, "I came home early, I didn't know you'd have company, I'll go." I pointed towards the door and started leaving.

She sighed and took a step in front and looked out the door, "stay, it won't be long before Anderson comes storming in here," she looked down the hall unsure and then back, "and then we know the entire evening would be ruined." She stuck her head in the hall again, "where is he?"

"My best guess," I looked at her, "still in our hotel in California."

She must have been able to tell something was completely off. She picked up his clothes and threw them at him, "you out." Then she basically slammed the door behind him and walked over to the couch patting the seat next to her, "what happened over there."

"Nothing," I said and she looked at me and I shook my head, "I don't want to talk about it."

"You came home a day early, you are clearly upset and I just sent home my booty call," she pointed at me, "you are talking to me." I sat down and tried to say something, but all that came out was a sigh and small hand clap. "Okay," she said, "let me guess this is about your family." I shook my head, "was it Liz," I shook my head, "was it that dude she was trying to set you up with," I shook my head, "um, was it..."

"It's Anderson," I blurted out looking at her. She sat back and looked at me unsure. I sighed going into everything, "my entire plan backfired, he found out and now he has this ridiculous idea that he's in love with me." I stood up and went to the kitchen, "why is it impossible to have guy friends."

"If When Harry Meets Sally is any indication," she said, "exactly this."

I got ice cream out of the freezer and two spoons and started walking back, "I mean why would he do that."

Cat scratched her head and looked away, "well," I looked at her angrily, "in my defense he was upset about the Rachel thing and not only was he very persistent, but he pretty much guessed it was you."

"You told him," I said with a blank expression.

"Well yeah," she said, "if you want to label it." I shook my head and pushed back my hair, "wait there's more." I looked up at her guilty expression, "I told him he loved you, but only because it's obvious to everyone but you two," I glared at her, "but I thought he'd have the common sense not to tell you that."

"This is Anderson," I yelled, "you didn't think he'd act on this." She just scratched her head, "and yeah I was going to freak out, I can't even look at him, oh my God what happens when he comes home. I stood up, "I just have to avoid him."

"For the rest of your life," she laughed.

"Yes," I said, "avoidance is always better than confrontation."

"I am familiar with the Sidney motto," she said, "but did you ever think of how absolutely perfect the two of you would be together." I glared at her because she wasn't helping. She continued, "I'm serious, I always thought the two of you were going to end up together."

"Cat," I laughed, "when do relationships between friends ever work out."

"Well if movies and television are any indication, which they are," she said, "there's Made of Honor."

"My Best Friends Wedding," I put out there as a counter example.

She rolled her eyes, "Harry Potter."

"Something Borrowed," I stuck my tongue out.

"Just Friends," she snapped back.

"Come on," I said disappointed, "the movie was mediocre at best."

"Fine," she said, "Cory and Topanga."

"They were psycho children and had a baby in college," I said and then sat back, "no thank you."

"Ross and Rachel," she said.

"Really," I tilted my head, "with all they went through could you really say that worked out, I'm not even sure that was healthy."

"Monica and Chandler," she got me.

"Robin and Ted," I countered.

"Lilly and Marshal," she nodded.

"Robin and Barney," I countered once more.

"Would you stop using all Robins failed relationships as a defense," she said, "you are not Robin."

I sighed, "but I am."

"True," she said and then sat down next to me trying to offer words of console, but nothing came to mind. After my life I couldn't really believe in love, I was devoid of all emotions, I had no sentiment inside.