He Says, She Says

He says

I was angry, "If I ever see that guy again I swear I'll...I'll..."

"You'll do nothing," Cat shook her head as she took the lead, "stop trying to act macho." I rolled my eyes and followed her to the table in the middle of the cafe. She sat down, "I thought you'd be happy anyways," she shrugged and I gave a questioning look. She laughed, "It's not like it was a secret Anderson, we all know you hated Henry."

"Just because I didn't like Henry doesn't mean I wanted them to break up," I sat on the other side of the table. We were getting ready to watch Sid's band play, this was a regular thing, every Thursday they play at the East-West coffee house. Which now by default is our favorite coffee place.

She put her arm on the table and rose her eyebrows, "yeah it does." I shook my head. "Yeah it does," she leaned back, "not only did you hate Henry, but you hated them together. You would make childish immature faces every time someone brought up his name."

"Yes," I said, "I hate him and I hated the relationship, but only because I knew he's a jerk. That's why I wanted Sid to break up with him."

"I'm glad it's over too," she said and then sat up and yelled, "God would it kill some to get service over here." She turned back like nothing had happened, "now we get to have girl nights where we are both single."

I shook my head, "you are seriously going to get us thrown out of here one day."

"Good I hate this place," she stuck her tongue out, "and I feel like they had a gig like yesterday, it's so exhausting being a hardcore fan." She smiled and looked down at her phone to send a text message.

"You know Cat," I said grabbing her attention, "you have to actually like their music to be a fan."

She scrunched up her nose, "I'm not a fan of the band I'm a fan of Sidney, smart ass." The waitress, Rebecca, brought over our usual orders, Cat looked down and said, "Finally." I shook my head and then looked down at the plate in front of me and the coffee sitting next to it. "Oh my god," Cat said hitting my shoulder, "while we're waiting you know what would be fun?"

"Do I want to," I questioned unsure.

"You can go over there," she pointed behind me to the counter seats, "and be my wing man."

I turned back with a very serious look on my face, "no." She gave me her pouty face and I rolled my eyes as if giving in before saying, "no."

"What kind of friend are you," she said.

"The kind that you constantly use as a verbal punching bag and on occasion an actual one," I said giving a victorious smirk. She crossed her arms and sat back while I continued, "or if you didn't like that, I'm a friend by default."

"What's that supposed to mean," she said.

"It means if it weren't for Sidney we would never associate with each other," I said.

She shrugged, "true I wouldn't give you the light of day." I rolled my eyes at her take on that. "OOO," she hit me again," they're starting." I rubbed my arm where she hit me and she just whispered, "don't be such a baby."

They were midway into their set when Amber, their lead singer, came up to the microphone. "Hey," she said and everyone cheered, "I just wanted to give a quick shout out to Sidney on the keyboard over there," she pointed, "and tell you all that she is the genius behind all our original songs." Of course Cat and I gave a big cheer and Sid blushed and smiled from behind her keyboard. That's the one thing about Amber, she gives credit where credit is due. "So the other day I found one of her new songs, but she doesn't want to play it," Amber pretended to be sad, "but I think we should." I saw Sid's eyes get big as she looked over at Amber. "Who thinks we should play it," they got an exuberant cheer from the somewhat small crowd.

The instruments started playing an unfamiliar tune before Amber began singing:

College party just like all the one's before
people dancing, people drink, people falling out the door
theme of red n' white, like fire and ice
both think they're fire and the other's ice
but with them the fire burns twice
and they're both on fire tonight

Short little dress in the color of red
cherry lipstick, knock the guys dead
wore a mask to hide from the shame
drank enough to forget her name

Ref:
And she's got him saying things I thought I'd never hear
searching for this perfect girl
And she's got him running out of his mind
comparin' everyone's lipstick to mine
And she's got him on this chase
how do I tell him it's a waste
of his time

"Is this song about me," I looked at Cat who was making a face.

"Duh," she said somewhat distracted, "I can't believe she said it was her lipstick, it's mine, she wishes she had a color that nice."

I shook my head, "not the point."

For him this was a normal occurance
call him immature
it's more like a disease
and I'm looking for the cure

The first time that he missed
she left him after just one kiss
instead of taking it as a dis
he says she's the new mrs.

Ref

He likes the mystery
but there's a history
thinks she's extraordinary
what happens when she's ordinary
I know
oh no
I know
oh no

Final ref

I stared at the stage and Sidney was avoiding eye contact and when I looked over at Cat she was doing the same. "Cat," I said, "is there something you two aren't telling me."

She bit her lip and pointed, but just shook it while trying to think what to say. "That song," she said, "was obviously not supposed to be sung out loud."

"Does Sid know who it is?"

"Maybe," she scratched her head.

"Do you know who it is?"

"Possibly," she scratched the back of her neck.

"Are you going to tell me," I leaned forward in anticipation.

"Why not?"

"It's not my secret to tell jerk off," she said before looking down to her lap where she probably texted Sid something. I could easily take the phone, but it'll be easy and a lot more fun to trick them into letting it out.