‹ Prequel: Your Heart

Dark Before the Dawn

The voice without a song.

I stumbled inside the apartment, closing the door quietly behind me. So I, uh, might’ve only just got back at 9am this morning, instead of catching a cab back here last night. And I might’ve passed out last night. On the floor. With John lying next to me. With his arms around me. I didn’t do anything, let me just make that clear. I would never cheat on Alex. John was just comfy and I was cold. And I was very drunk. Completely and utterly innocent, I swear.

Sure, Alex would probably flip out on me if he found out I slept in another guy’s arms, but it’s not like I kissed John, is it?! Hell, Alex is going to flip out that I didn’t come back last night, but it would be way worse if he found out about John. Way worse.

Anyway, I slowly walked into the kitchen and poured myself a glass of water, content just to sit down on one of the stools for a little while. When I’d drunk about half of my water, my phone buzzed. John. Okay, so I might’ve given him my phone number last night. He persuaded me with that dazzling smile of his, and the promise that if I ever need anyone to talk to about anything that I can’t talk about with Alex, to give him a text or a call. Any distraction at all. He was kinda sweet about it and super shy, so I thought what the heck?

It’s not a bad thing to have another friend, right?

Hey Zack, it’s John, Kennedy’s friend, from the party, from the park. I just thought I’d drop you a text to say good morning and I hope you had a great time at the party last night. I know I did. I’ll see you soon? John x

I couldn’t help but smile slightly. Oh bless, as if I wouldn’t remember who he was! And I did have a great time at the party. It was so refreshing to actually be able to relax in public without the fear of upsetting Alex or doing something wrong to make him angry with me. It was a nice change to be able to have fun and relax.

Hey John! Yeah, I did have a great time at the party, I’m glad you did too. I’m sure we’ll run into each other somehow. Hopefully not accidentally this time. Zack x

Like I said, I will never cheat on Alex. John’s just very very attractive, and I like talking to him. He knows that I’ve got a long-term boyfriend and so far he seems to be respecting that. Which is good. Alex just doesn’t ever have to find out about him.

Speaking of Alex…he just walked into the kitchen. Fully dressed, ready for work. And he doesn’t look happy with me.

“So you didn’t come home last night, huh?” Alex said gruffly.

“Uh, no. I passed out. Got a cab back with Garrett and Kennedy when we woke up,” I admitted.

Alex just raised an eyebrow, looking unimpressed, but didn’t say anything. Well…I was expecting a scolding. Is it better that he’s practically silent than if he’s angry? I don’t know.

It’s like he really doesn’t care.

“I’m going to be home late tonight. Got to do stock check,” Alex told me.

I just nodded, smiling weakly as he kissed my cheek before leaving. I waited until the front door was shut to sigh. Great. I was hoping Alex and I could’ve at least spent a little time together because he didn’t come last night. What am I supposed to do today?

I managed to pass a few hours by taking a nap, then working out, then having a shower and then cooking some lunch…but then I ran out of stuff to do. I’ve already done all my college work. And there’s no prep to do for my next classes either.

I might as well go and check if we have any mail. At least that’s another 10 minutes passed, right?

I got in the elevator and pressed the button for the ground floor. Surprisingly, Kennedy got in on his floor, looking tired but smiling.

“Still feeling rough?” I mused.

“I shouldn’t have had those sambuca shots with Jared,” Kennedy groaned.

“I told you it was a bad idea,” I taunted.

“You had two!” Kennedy protested.

“Sambuca doesn’t affect me,” I retorted, laughing.

Kennedy just stuck his tongue out at me.

“I’m only out of bed because Garrett demanded that I check if his letter from his mom has arrived. Are you off out today then?” Kennedy asked, running a hand through his messy hair.

“Nah, just checking the mailbox too. I’ve already had a nap, worked out, had a shower and had lunch. I don’t have anything else to do,” I shrugged.

“Why don’t you hang out with us?” Kennedy suggested.

“What?” I frowned.

“Hang out with me and Garrett today. We’re not doing much, just ordering in pizza and playing on Garrett’s Xbox, but you should join us,” Kennedy repeated.

“I don’t want to intrude,” I replied, shaking my head.

“You’re not, seriously. It’s about time we started hanging out as friends. Even just as neighbours,” Kennedy said seriously.

It’s got to be better than hanging out by myself, right?

“Alright, sounds like fun,” I nodded, smiling.

“Great! I’ll invited Pat, Jared and John over too. John will definitely come if he knows you’ll be here,” Kennedy grinned.

I rolled my eyes, although a small smile crept onto my lips, just like this morning. I will never cheat on Alex…but a little attention couldn’t hurt, right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Huh.
Let's just hope that Alex doesn't find out, right?
...

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter. I'm sorry it took me so long to get this out but I've been so busy working, out from 7am until 8pm every day, but I'm back now and I'll try to be more consistent!

Oh, and if any of you are interested in reading an original het (yes, het, I wouldn't be pimping it if it wasn't amazing), go and read Quicksand by Artistic Difference. She's amazing and this story deserves love!

Ultraviolet Light
forevermine
QueenOfSmurfs
Rory The Roman
emmarulez
swwamy
Caitlynnnn
BeautifullyTattooed
kew_atl
eragorn122
Forever Young.
JessicStar
xkristinehegg
rebeccs13
lizziemcgenius
alltimezach

xo