Status: In Progress

Home

Part Three

“What?” I ask. “But why?”
“I’m joining a new band.”
I step away from him. I can’t believe the way he made me feel, with a kiss, only to rip it away from me while I feel so vulnerable.
“You had no fucking right to do that!”
“I’m sorry.” He cups his hands around my face but I slap his hands away. I push him hard in the chest and he stumbles backwards. We stare at each other for a while; Dave’s face desperate and longing, mine pure fury. My nostrils are flared and it feels like my whole face has turned bright red. I imagine I look really hideous. I feel so fucking angry and yet part of me wants to forgive him and forget anything ever happened. Eventually the anger leaves my body and I’m left with sadness. My tears are visible and I feel so stupid for even being sad. I think of the Gibson Dave and I looked at in the store – how I want to rip it of the wall and play it.

It’s weirdly romantic, really. The two of us just standing in the rain together. It’s a good thing it’s raining in Virginia, because it does a pretty good job of disguising my tears.
“Cassie, I...” Dave begins, breaking the silence. But he shakes his head and turns to leave, his hands shoved in his pockets.
“Dave, wait,” I hear myself call. “Can’t you just take me with you?” He comes back and asks,
“You’d really move to Seattle with me?”
“Is it really that surprising?” I shrug. “There’s nothing going for me here. I work in a fucking music store!”
He blinks and looks blank, but then a smile spreads across his face. “Well, then... yeah. I guess I can take you with me.”

I told my family I’m leaving. My dad did the whole who-is-this-guy-and-is-he-going-to-look-after-you thing, and my mom cried. But they agreed to let me go and lent me a little money. Now we’re sitting in Dave’s car (Me and Dave, that is – not my parents) and Highway to Hell by AC/DC is playing.
“Let’s hope this doesn’t foreshadow the journey.” Dave says.
I snort. “Fingers crossed. What’s the name of the band, anyways? You never told me.”
“Oh,” Dave wriggles uncomfortably. “Um, they’re called Nirvana.”
“What?!” I spit. “As in... I’ll take advantage while you hang me out to dry... About a Girl... Nirvana?”
“Uh, yeah, them.”
“Jesus Christ, Dave! You might a mentioned that!”
Dave shrugs and I find myself laughing again. “Thanks for coming by the way, Cas. I really appreciate it.” He squeezes my hand and I blush.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another short one. No one's really reading this, I know, but I don't mind, I never really intended for this to be read. :-)