The Way We Talk.

Chapter 8

On Sunday, we had nothing to do; Alyssa came to my house and we watched movies the whole day. At five, Nick called us.
“Hey baby” Lyss answered, her phone on voice speakers.
“Hey, wanna go out tonight? I can call Halvo and you call Alana.”
Alyssa smirked at me.
“And if Alana comes, we can call Garrett an-“
“Yo Nick, I am here and I can hear you” I told him.
“Ah! Why you didn’t tell me, Lyss?”
Alyssa and I giggled.
“I thought you knew.”
“What are you going to do?” I asked.
“Uh… nothing.”
“Nicholas! Come on Nicky, I know something is up!”
“Look, I’ll pay for your dinner. Will you come?”
“Free food” I thought aloud. Alyssa giggled. “Okay. But no jokes about Garrett.”
“That’s hard” Nick said. I sighed.
“I’m coming.”

Almost an hour later, we were in the other side of the street waiting for Garrett. Because yesterday, we had kissed many times, but today we couldn’t even say hi to each other. We ended up hugging and Garrett kissing my cheek – what was adorable.
After that, we drove to the place where Nick told us to meet him. Entering the crowded place, we found him in a booth with Halvo. I sat between him and Alyssa – unfortunately – and across from Garrett – fortunately. We talked for a while, before we order what we were going to eat.
Sometimes, Garrett smiled at me and I couldn’t help but smile back.
“So Garrett, did you… uh, enjoy yesterday?”
We knew what Alyssa was talking about. I kicked her under the table and she glared at me.
“Yeah, I… had fun.”
“I bet you did” Halvo said. I kicked him too.
“Ow!”
“Leave the lovebirds alone” Nick said with a smile.
I couldn’t kick him, but I could flip him off, what was cool.
“Lovebirds? Are you on drugs?” Garrett asked. I chuckled.
The waitress brought our food, but it didn’t stop them.
“Do you like him, Alana?” Halvo asked. I coughed, choking on nothing. Garrett kinda froze, looking at me. I don’t know if he was worried about me or about my reaction.
“Consider that a yes” Nick said.
“Of course she likes him. Everything Alana talks about is Garrett. Well, when she talks, because she spends most of her time texting him.”
I laughed, my best try on their lack of reaction.
“Do you like him or not?” Halvo asked again.
“I…”
“Think we should go home and watch a movie” Garrett interrupted me. I looked at him, silently thanking him. He smiled and winked at me.
“Good try” Alyssa giggled “but no, I’ve got something else to do."
“Me too” Halvo and Nick said at the same time.
“I’ll go” I said. Garrett smiled.
We ate, making some jokes about each other – mostly about me and Gare, not cool – until we decided it was time to go home. Alyssa, Halvo and Nick had “plans”, and since Lyss was driving, I had no ride on my way back. Garrett offered to take me home.
He was humming the lyrics of The Smiths as I watched him from the corner of my eye, in the car. I crossed my legs, tapping my foot to the song. He smiled a little.
“Do you like The Smiths?”
“Not really.”
He pursed his lips.
“Well, I grew up listening to them. My mom has their vinyls and adores them, but I still rather listen to Ryan.”
“Good to hear.”
I giggled.

When we got home, I was ready to say goodbye but Garrett stopped me.
“I was wondering if you… uh…”
I frowned, puzzled. I had NO idea of what he wanted to say. Not even the slightest idea, really.
“Do you want to be my girlfriend?”
I gasped a little; that was unexpected. I knew Garrett liked me and I did like him too, but… Never mind. I bit m lip.
“Yes?”
Garrett’s smile in response was huge. He was beaming at me, it was impossible to not smile back. He pulled me from the car and kissed my cheek, before peck me softly on the lips.
“Hey” I said “I think we should go home. We’re in the middle of the street, you know.”
Garrett smiled and took my hand. I stopped.
“Your parents are home” it wasn’t a question.
“Yes.”
“And you want me to go there.”
“Yes” he repeated.
“As your girlfriend.”
He smiled.
“Come on, it is not that bad."
“Yes, it is” I pouted. We were in his front door now; Garrett pecked my lips quickly as he opened the door. He guided me inside, his hand still interlocked with mine.
“Gare?” Trey called from the living room.
“Hey.”
“Hi honey” Mrs. Nickelsen said from the kitchen. I writhed a little and Garrett squeezed my hand reassuringly.
“I need to tell you something.”
I whimpered and dropped his hand. Garrett snickered, wrapping his hand around my shoulder.
“What? Hello Alana.”
I smiled and Mrs. Nickelsen realized Garrett’s arm around me, then.
“This is why you’re so happy today?”
“Yes” he said and I bit my lip.
“Short stuff is nervous” Trey said. I rolled my eyes.
“Yeah, short stuff is your new nickname.”
“Trey’s right, you shouldn’t be nervous dear. So, how’s your mother? I haven’t seen her lately” Mrs. Nickelsen asked.
“Busy with work, but she’s fine” I replied.
“Good.”
I sighed, the only sound in the room.
“Uhm… I was going to make tome popcorn” Trey said.
“Yeah, we’ll watch tv.”
Garrett took my hand and dragged me to the living room. We sat on the couch, his arms never leaving me.
“She’s beautiful” Mrs. Nickelsen said. I don’t think they knew we could hear them. Garrett raised his eyebrows.
“She’s nice, a good girl indeed. I’m happy for Gare, it’s good he found someone” Trey said. I giggled.
“Do you think they’re dating? I mean, really dating?”
“Of course they are! Garrett is acting like a puppy, all happy for nothing.”
I chuckled and Garrett rolled his eyes, but smiled.
“Puppy” I repeated, still smiling. He leaned in, kissing me.
“Oh, fuck no!”
“Trey!” Mrs. Nickelsen scolded him.
“Sorry, mom.”
I pulled away from Garrett, laughing. Trey sat on the couch next to me.
“How did this happen?” Their mom asked me, gesturing at us and sitting on the recliner.
“I don’t know. We became friends so fast and yesterday” I trailed off, shrugging.
“Oh yes, yesterday” Trey laughed. Garrett chuckled, shaking his head.
“What happened yesterday?”
“Garrett confessed his love.”
“Aw, how was it?” Mrs. Nickelsen asked, smiling.
“Funny” Trey said.
“Cute” I said, looking at him. Garrett exhaled heavily.
“Can we stop talking about it?”
“No?”
He looked at me through narrowed eyes.
“But Gare, it was cute, admit it!”
“A hell it was” he muttered. “There, Mean Girls is on tv.”
“Get in loser, we’re going shopping!”
Trey laughed.
“Boo you whore!”
“Are you Regina George or what?” Gare asked.
“No, but I wanted to have a burn book and… write mean things about The Maine.”
“No, you wouldn’t” Trey said, dumbstruck.
“Of course I would! And the first thing I would write is Garrett Nickelsen is awkward.”
Mrs. Nickelsen giggled and I smiled.
“Alana” she said slowly “are you busy tomorrow? I’d love to have you here for dinner.”
“I, uh, do-“ I chocked a little and Gare patted my back. “Sure. I have to go to college, but I’ll be free by the night.”
“Good, we’ll be waiting for you tomorrow.”
♠ ♠ ♠
this is not good :T