The Change

So Far Away

-Brian's POV-

As it grew closer to Thanksgiving I noticed a change in Jen. She was becoming more and more depressed and I really wanted to do something to cheer her up. We sat down and talked one night and she told me it was her parents. I knew right then and there what I needed to do.

I offered to drive her to the cemetery one day when Tyler and Hannah were in school. Jen hadn't been there since the funerals and I really didn't want her going alone. I made sure to give her the day off work and once she was ready we piled into my Escalade and made the trip to Santa Monica.

She talked pretty much the whole drive which she did when she was either nervous or excited. You just couldn't get her to shut up. Once we got closer we stopped to get flowers before continuing on to Woodlawn Cemetery. I had never been there before so Jen gave me directions and once we got there I held her hand as we walked to their resting place.

Jen was in tears by the time we got there. I held her in my arms as she talked them, the tears never stopping. Here I was holding my beautiful twenty year old girlfriend who was completely heart broken and there was nothing I could do. I wanted to take her pain away. To do anything to replace the tears with a smile but I couldn't and I'd never be able to.

I gave her a few minutes alone with them and walked back to my truck. She wasn't too far so I could run back if she needed me. Jen was handling this a lot better than I expected. Most would just run away from it but she didn't. She dropped everything for those kids. Gave up her dreams so they could have a stable home. She deserved some kind of medal for all that she had done.

She was a lot more mature for her age and that was something I liked about her. She wasn't one of those girls that acted like a complete ditz all the time. Jen knew when to be serious and when to be a goof ball. I thank her parents for that. They raised that girl right and if they were still here I'd tell them that.

Jen slowly made her way back to be about fifteen minutes later. I immediately pulled her into my arms and let her cry. I already knew she had been adopted and wondered if she had ever thought about finding her birth parents but today wasn't the day to bring that up. I was making today all about her and whatever she wanted to do we'd do. Zacky had said he'd pick the twins up from school if we weren't back in time so we had the entire day to do whatever. I just wasn't sure if she'd be up for it.

"I'm proud of you." I told her after wiping the last of her tears away. "And so are they."

She smiled at me and nodded. "I know."

I kissed her softly and helped her into the truck before getting in myself. It was getting close to lunch time so we decided to grab something to eat. We ended up at Cha Cha Chicken. It was one of her parents favorite places to eat. I knew Jen wasn't very hungry but she needed some food in her stomach and whatever she didn't finish she could take home.

While we waited for our meals Jen told me that whenever she's lucky enough to have children she wants to name them after her parents.

"I'd like to name my daughter Ava Elizabeth and my son Joshua Michael."

I knew she wasn't trying to say she wanted to have those children with me but I wouldn't object if she did ask. Her parents, Michael and Elizabeth Andrews were her entire world and I couldn't think of a better way to honor them.

"Well I hope you get the chance to do that baby. I'm sure they would love that." I took her hand in mine and watched her smile softly.

We ate our lunch and we were soon on our way home. As I drove I couldn't help but to think of Jen as a mother. She practically was now to Hannah and Tyler but I could just see her with a little baby in her arms. I tightened my grip on the steering wheel as my thoughts shifted to someone else having that baby with her. The thought of someone else touching her like that made me not only pissed off but jealous. I was still waiting for us to take that next step in our relationship.

I pulled into my driveway and shut off the engine before looking over at Jen. Getting out of the car I made my way to her side and opened the door. After helping her out I was a bit surprised when she suddenly wrapped her arms around me.

"Thank you Brian."

I smiled. "You don't have to thank me. I didn't really do anything."

"But you did. You helped make today a lot easier for me by just being there. I don't know how I would have handled it without you."

"Well I'm always here for you no matter what."

I walked Jen into the house and helped Jen take off her coat. She hung it up in the closet before taking off her shoes. I knew she was tired so I told her to go lay down for a while.

"Will you come with me?"

"Sure."

I followed her up the stairs and climbed onto the bed with her. We laid there for the longest time not saying a word. My arm was draped securely over her waist and her back was pressed against my chest.

"Brian?"

"Yeah?"

"Um.. it's not too late to change my mind is it?"

"About what baby?" I asked confused.

"Thanksgiving?"

I smiled and kissed her cheek softly. "No it's not too late. You want to go with me?"

"Yes."

"Alright."

I was pretty excited. I couldn't wait for everyone to meet her. They were going to love her but not nearly as much as me.

Did I really just have that thought? Was I already in love with Jen? We've only been dating for a month and.. who am I kidding I know exactly how I feel about her. I've known for months that I love her I just haven't told her yet. It was way too soon and I didn't want her thinking that I'm only with her to get her into bed. Sex with Jen would be a bonus and something I wasn't going to rush. We wouldn't do anything until she was ready.

------


Jen was fast asleep when the twins got home from school. I pretty much knew the routine so once they changed into some play clothes I gave them a snack and helped them with their homework. Homework in fucking Kindergarden. When the fuck did that happen?

I wanted to make sure Jen got some rest so I stayed with Tyler and Hannah until Jen was awake and making dinner. She asked me to stay but I had to decline since I had other plans. The guys and I were going out for dinner to discuss plans for our next album. We had already started writing and with the guys permission I had written my own song. A song for Jen or at least one through her eyes.

It was called So Far Away. A song dedicated to her parents. She didn't know I had wrote it and I wanted to keep it that way until I could play it for her. Jimmy had helped me with it and even sang the demo with me. I wanted him there when I sang it to Jen.

She had no idea how much she meant to me. The guys already loved her and anyone she knew her just seemed happier when she was around.

While Jen had been sleeping I asked Tyler and Hannah about Christmas. Both of their eyes seemed to light up just at the mention of it. I wanted Jen's Christmas to be memorable so I asked them if they'd allow me to take them Christmas shopping. They both had piggy banks but I knew they didn't have a lot of money so I offered to help them out with that. They could each pick out one gift for Jen and I'd help them pay for it. She'd never expect it and I knew it would mean the world to her get something from them. They loved her to death and we were really excited to get to pick out whatever they wanted for her.

I just hoped they wouldn't max out my credit card.
♠ ♠ ♠
I cannot believe I am 10 chapters in already. This has been one of my favorite stories to write and I am so glad you all like it. What will the twins pick out for Jen and how will Thanksgiving at the Haner's go? More soon!

Comment and Subscribe..

Jen
Brian