The Change

Nursery

-Brian's POV-

I could not believe that in only two short months I was going to be a father. We had just gotten back from a two month tour and I was working my ass off to get the nursery finished. Yesterday Jen had a doctor's appointment and we found out the sex of our baby. A girl. Ava Elizabeth.

Most men would have been a little disappointed to not be having a son but not me. I couldn't have been happier to be having a girl especially if she's anything like her mother.

Tyler and Hannah only had a month left of summer vacation and wanted to help me with the nursery. There wasn't really a lot they could do but I did let them help me paint. Jen and I agreed on a color quickly so I went out to get the paint and we had just finished a few minutes ago. It got pretty messy for a while but in the end it turned out great. Now all it needed to do was dry and we could start on everything else.

Jen was not to come upstairs because of the paint fumes so she was downstairs doing who knows what. Last night she had one of her cravings so she woke me up at two in the morning for watermelon and chocolate. If I didn't love her so damn much I would have told her to fuck off but she was seven months pregnant with my baby and I learned quickly that when a pregnant woman wants food you give it to her.

I had the windows open and fans going to help get rid of the fumes and for the paint to dry. Heading downstairs I found Jen in the kitchen making lunch... well her lunch which consisted of a chicken salad sandwich on a crossiant and pasta salad.

"Hungry baby?" I asked looking at all the food on her plate.

She nodded and sat down at the kitchen table. "I didn't know when you'd be down but everything is out if you want to make yourself a plate."

Nodding I made myself a plate as well as one for Tyler and Hannah. The pasta salad was supposed to be for dinner but it didn't surprise me that she had already dug into it. She had been eating pasta like crazy.

"I thought you were saving the pasta salad for dinner tonight?" I asked taking my first bite.

"That's why I made a double batch. I wanted some for lunch too. I'm eating for two remember? What's your excuse?"

I grinned at her. "Sympathy weight."

She giggled. "More like a beer gut and one too many chips."

I narrowed my eyes. "Well you're not getting any for a while."

She set her fork down and grinned at me. I knew that grin all too well. I was in trouble now. "That's fine but just remember one thing Brian. If I don't get any than neither do you."

I groaned wishing I had kept my big mouth shut. We only had a few days left before she started her third trimester which meant we only had a few days left to have sex. After that we'd have to wait until after the baby was born. I was going to go crazy. I guess it's a good thing I have two hands.

We finished our lunch before Jen went to take a nap. I helped her into bed before heading back into the nursery. The paint wasn't dry yet so I started going through the things we had bought for our baby's room. I couldn't wait to meet my little girl. She was going to be absolutely perfect and I would protect her from anything. No one would hurt my daughter and live to tell about it.

The paint eventually dried and I began hanging pictures and putting up the crib. I didn't want Jen to see any of it until it was finished so I wouldn't let her help me. She was having my baby the least I could do for my daughter was fix up her room.

By the time I was done it was dinner time. It didn't feel like I had been in there that long but I really wanted to get it done and I was pretty proud of how it had turned out. I was sweating like a pig so I took a quick shower before rushing downstairs to fire up the grill.

I couldn't help but smile as I watched Jen with Tyler and Hannah. She was a natural with them and it still surprised me that she wasn't their mother. Jen wants a job in fashion or even owning a restaurant but I think being a mother is the job she was destined to do. I knew our daughter would always be in good hands with her. She was just perfect.

"Food's ready." I screamed after taking the last bit of food off of the grill. We were having steak and chicken kabobs, hot dogs, pasta salad, baked potatoes, and grilled asparagas.

"So how's the nursery coming along?" Jen asked as we sat down to eat. I made her plate for her so she wouldn't have to be on her feet.

"It's done."

"What do you mean it's done? Didn't you just start on it this morning?"

I nodded. "Yep but I had help." I told her as I winked at the twins. Not only had I let them help me paint but I even let them decorate with the stuffed animals we had already bought. I did everything else.

She just smiled and tried to hold back her tears. Everything was making her cry lately but this time it was happy tears. I was just as shocked as she was that I got it done in one day but I had woke up early to get it started and only took a break to use the bathroom and eat lunch. I was tired as fuck but it was all worth it in the end.

I cleared the table before taking Jen upstairs to see the nursery. I knew it was driving her crazy that she couldn't just run up the stairs but her safety and our baby's health was the most important thing.

I heard her giggle as I placed my hands over her eyes and led her into the nursery. With one hand I flipped on the lights before removing my other hand from her eyes.

"Open your eyes baby."

Jen gasped as she got her first look at our daughter's room. I smiled proudly as I watched her take in every inch of the room.

"It's beautiful. I love it."

I smiled and wrapped my arms around her from behind. "Do you think Ava will like it?"

"I know she will." She said leaning back into my chest and resting her hands on top of mine.

I kissed her cheek softly before resting my chin on her shoulder. Our little girl would be here in only eight short weeks and both our lives would change for the better. Jen and I were bound together by this little girl and I wouldn't have it any other way. Ava was already a Haner and now all I had to do was make Jen one too.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry it's taken so long to get this chapter up. I have been extremely busy and haven't had much time to work on it. Gotta love the holiday's. More soon!

Jen's Background and Family

Comment and Subscribe..

Jen
Tyler & Hannah
Ava's Nursery