The Change

Unexpected Surprise

-Brian's POV-

Today I was out and about taking care of some last minute things before the birth of my daughter. My daughter. It was still weird to think that in one more week my little Ava would be here. The twins were at school and Jen was at home resting on the couch. She'd already had her baby shower and received what seemed liked a million gifts. I was still trying to get everything put away.

I lied when I told Jen I was going to the studio today. The truth was I was on my way to Verizon to get her a new phone. Her BlackBerry took a shit a few weeks ago so I had been letting her use my iPhone when she needed to make a call. Jen had always loved her BlackBerry but I had noticed how much she was enjoying my iPhone so I decided to surprise her with one of her own.

She hadn't really been out of the house much since the baby shower so I wanted to do something for her. I had a few other places I wanted to go but I knew the phone might take a while so that's where I went first.

The woman that helped me was young and constantly flirting with me. I decided to use it to my own advantage in hopes of getting a better deal.

And I did.

She knocked a hundred bucks off of the phone itself, gave me the protective case for free, and gave me more data time for a cheaper price. Since I knew was going to need international calling as well I made sure to get it for her as well as unlimited text. My dad and I had the same color phone so we were constantly getting them mixed up when visting each other so I made sure to get something different for Jen. I ended up getting her the white iPhone 4S.

After I was done at Verizon I made my way towards my next destination.

Tiffany and Company.

Jen and I had been together for a while and now that we were expecting our first child I really began to think about my life. I was in a very successful band, had the best friends and family in the world but there was still something missing. Matt and Val were married. Jimmy and Leana were engaged just like Zacky and Gena. Even Johnny and Lacey were about to take that step in their relationship.

I wanted Jen to be my wife.

I wasn't the type to really think about the future. I'd usually take everything day by day and whatever happens happens but that all changed when I met Jen. She completes me in every way. She brings out the best in me. She believes in me and supports me when I have to be gone for months at a time. She's just... perfect. I want her to be mine until the end of time.

I felt a little out of place in a jewelry store but it wasn't like I hadn't been in there before. Jen had loved the bracelet I had gotten for me and even though this place was expensive as shit I wanted her to have the best. I'm sure she'd fight be on it later on but I didn't care. She was worth every penny.

"Hello sir, how may I help you?"

Looking up I noticed the woman behind the counter. She looked to be in her late twenties or early thirties with long dark hair and hazel eyes. She wasn't bad looking but I was here for a ring not a woman. I already had one of those.

"Um yeah.. I need a ring."

"Alright, any specific kind of ring?"

"An engagement ring. I'm proposing to my girlfriend tonight."

She smiled and pointed me in the right direction. I listened as she talked about each ring and showed them to me. I knew Jen wouldn't want anything too big or flashy so I did my best to keep it simple. She liked silver, platinum, and white gold so I made sure to only look at those rings.

"Did you have a certain price in mind sir?"

I shook my head. "No not really."

I didn't think it would be so hard to pick out a ring but I wanted it to be perfect. Jen deserved to have the perfect ring. Finally I saw it. It was a silver band with a round diamond. The diamond itself wasn't huge but it wasn't small either. It was just big enough and I wanted it.

"How much is that one?" I asked pointing the ring I wanted.

The lady pulled the ring out of the case so I could have a better look at it and told me how much it was. I asked how long it would take to get it sized and was lucky enough that they had someone there to do it. She wrote down the information and took the ring into the back. She came back a few minutes later and I pulled my credit card out of my wallet.

I knew most jewelry stores shipped things out to get resized but I honestly couldn't wait that long. I needed that ring today and I was willing to pay extra money to get it done.

I knew it would take some time for the ring to be done so once I paid I walked around the store just to see what else they had. I wasn't planning on buying anything but I figured maybe I'd see something Jen might like. I saw a couple of nice things but nothing that really popped out at me. At least thirty minutes had gone by and just as I was about to starting bitching the woman walked over to me with a smile on her face and a bag in her hand.

"Here you are sir. I apologize for taking so long. It's been a hectic day."

I just smiled and took the bag from her. "It's not a problem."

"Good luck tonight."

"Thank you."

I turned on my heel and had just stepped outside when my phone rang. "Hello?"

"Brian it's Val. You need to get to the hospital Jen's in labor."

I never moved so fast in my entire life.

I made it to the hospital in record time and have no idea how I didn't get pulled over. Running inside I didn't even bother stopping at the front desk since I knew exactly where to go. I nearly ran right into her doctor in the hallway who quickly had me put on some scrubs before escorting me to her room. When I got to Jen she was hooked up to a bunch of machines and in the middle of a contraction.

"I'm here baby."

I took her hand in mine and almost regretted it because she was squeezing so hard. She was in a ton of pain and it was all my fault. I kissed her head before making her focus on me. I wanted her to get into a routine quickly so I just did what we did in her lamaze class. Once she was able to focus I had her do her breathing exersizes. Neither of us said a word as we breathed together and the contraction eventually ended.

"If I had known I wouldn't have left."

Jen smiled and kissed me softly. "I know but thankfully Matt and Val came over just before my water broke."

The next few hours seemed like an eternity. I'd be in the waiting room with everyone one minute then rush into the delivery room when Jen needed me. Before I knew what was happening Jen was pushing and I had tears in my eyes as I heard my baby's first cries.

"It's a girl."

They allowed me to cut the cord and while they were cleaning her up a little I kissed Jen's forehead and told her how proud I was of her. She was exhausted but I knew she couldn't wait to get her hands on our baby.

Honestly, neither could I.

I watched as a nurse gently placed our little girl into Jen's arms. Ava was wrapped up in a pink blanket and had this little pink beanie looking hat on her head. One look at her and I was in love. I had helped create this little life and I felt like the entire world had just changed right before my eyes.

"Hi Ava." I heard Jen say softly. "I'm your mommy."

I swear I saw Ava snuggle up to her and I couldn't help but smile. If she reacted like this to Jen how would she be with me?

------


Ava was now a few hours old and Jen was resting comfortably in her room. She was holding Ava in her arms and I was sitting in a chair beside her bed. I still hadn't held her and in a way I was nervous. I had only ever held my little sister and that was years ago. What if I broke her?

Jen carefully placed Ava in my arms and I suddenly felt like a different person. I was a father. I was responsible for this little girl and I would protect her until the day I died.

"You're a natural." Jen smiled as she watched me with her.

"I don't know about that."

"Please. I've never seen a man hold a baby so perfectly before. Especially a newborn."

I just smiled never taking my eyes off of Ava. After several minutes she started to get fussy so I placed her back in Jen's arms. She was going to try breast feeding for the first time and we had agreed that if it hurt her too much that we'd just stick to bottles.

I had to admit I was a little jealous of my own daughter but she needed to eat and I needed to control myself. They might be my play things but they were Ava's source of food.

"I can't get over how beautiful she is."

I smiled. "Just like you baby."

Jen smiled and while she wasn't looking I pulled the ring box from my pocket. Since I knew there was no way we'd be going out to dinner I thought now would be the perfect time to do this. Having Ava here only made it better.

"Hey Jen?"

"Yeah?" She looked up at me and gasped when she saw the ring.

"Will you marry me?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I think we all know what she is going to say lol and Ava is here! I will post a picture of her in the next chapter as well as the engagement ring.

More soon!

Comment and subscribe..