Somewhere in Between

i took a chance with my heart, and i feel it taking over

He had told her everything, poured every last ounce of himself at her feet, and she had laughed it off as if it was nothing. Rejection was an entirely new sensation for James Diamond, no girl in their right mind wouldn’t want to be with him, and if it were anyone else, he would’ve just shrugged it off and moved onto his next option, but there was something different this time.

He actually cared about Camille, and the one instance he let his guard down, he was left alone.

It wasn’t like he was searching for this impossible-to-attain Hollywood romance with her. He wasn’t auditioning for the role of soul mate in the production that was Camille Roberts’s life, he just wanted to give it a chance. He hadn’t felt those so-called fireworks the first time they’d kissed, but despite the fact, he couldn’t deny that his feelings for her ran deeper than friendship.

He was drawn to her in a way he hadn’t felt with any other girl he’d been with, and though James didn’t feel like they were made for each other, he refused to let her slip through his fingers.

What they had wasn’t exactly right, but it was the first relationship in which James wasn’t weighed down by guilt. Camille was his chance to get things right, to not just hook up with a girl only to make his escape the next morning. She was too headstrong to allow him to take advantage of her, and he respected that strength.

James could see it in her deep eyes, that hesitation, the sense of knowing that if they crossed that line, the dynamic between them would never be the same. For once, he saw fear pull at Camille’s features. Her fear wasn’t foreign to him, he too shared those very same doubts, but he was willing to take that risk. James was tired of being stuck somewhere in between right and wrong, between lovers and friends, and he was prepared to do whatever it took to break out.