Status: Comment or Inbox me on this thought. I want to re-write this story. Meaning A LOT of changes. Still same basic story line...just different. Your Thoughts?

The Cousin

Chapter Three

A few days later I went with Aunt Jenna, Jeremy, and Elena to the police department. They were questioning Jeremy and Elena about where Vicki had gone while I waited with Aunt Jenna on the benches.
“How are you feeling,” she asked me.
“Good,” I murmured to her.
“You know,” she smiled. “I’ve been doing some research and I found this surgery that could help you get your voice back. It’s a lot of money but I’d be willing to contribute some to help you get going, if you’d like.”
I smiled at her, “Thank you, Aunt Jenna. It means a lot to me.”
“Yeah, you’re mother and I, even though we weren’t related at all, talked a lot. She told me that you use to sing.” I nodded, blushing slightly. “I’m sure you miss that.” I nodded again. Elena and Jeremy walked out of the Sheriff’s office. “Ready to go?” asked Jenna. Then nodded and we headed out of the police department. Outside stood Stefan.
“I’ll meet you guys at the car,” said Elena.
“Okay,” smiled Jenna as she and Jeremy walked away. I looked at Elena, asking her if I could stay with her in my eyes, she nodded.
“You okay?” Stefan asked Elena.
“I don’t think the sheriff suspected anything. Jeremy had no memory at all. All he knew was what Damon made him know.” Elena shrugged unsure.
“Thank you,” nodded Stefan.
“I can’t do this, Stefan,” Elena frowned shaking her head. “Every time I look at Matt or Jeremy all I think is that Vicki is never gonna come back. And they’ll never know why. Around you, people get hurt and people die and I just—I can’t. It’s just too much.”
“Why don’t we go somewhere and talk about it?” Stefan whispered touching Elena’s arms.
She pulled away, “No. Stefan, you have to say away from me.” She then turned and walked away.
I frowned and looked over at Stefan. He was hurt. I touched his arm. He looked at me and gave me a half-hearted smile. I hugged him. “She loves you. Don’t forget that,” I whispered to him pulling away. He looked shocked but I only nodded and then quickly jogged after her.
The car ride home was silent and when we reached home Elena plopped down on the couch and turned on the TV. I sat down in the chair next to her and pulled my legs up next to me. Jenna walked over and threw herself down next to Elena.
“You’re wallowing,” she sighed.
“So are you,” Elena grumbled back.
“My wallow is legitimate. I was dumped.”
“Yeah, well, Logan’s a jerk,” Elena sighed playing with the blanket strings.
“You didn’t get a brush-off e-mail saying, ‘I’m leaving town. See ya.’”
Jeremy spoke from the kitchen table, “Wanna keep it down over there?”
Jenna sat up and turned to face him, “Why? What are you doing?”
“Homework,” snorted Jeremy.
Elena sat up and turned around as well, “Since when do you do homework?”
“I gotta finish this. I’m way behind and I have a quiz tomorrow, so…”He looked at them and then turned back to his papers.
“What do you think? Alien,” asked Elena.
“Some sort of replicant,” Jenna whispered back.
Jeremy looked at the two girls, “He can hear you.”
I giggled at them as Elena and Jenna continued to look at Jeremy, puzzled. I stood up and walked over to Jeremy, kissing his cheek as I walked by. He swatted me away. I giggled and walked over to the fridge. I pulled out a can of coke and watched as Elena walked upstairs and to her bedroom. I frowned knowing she was thinking about Stefan. I stayed downstairs watching TV with Aunt Jenna for a while when the doorbell rang. I opened it up and saw Bonnie.
She looked at me shocked, “Selene?” I smiled nodding. “Oh, my, God,” she laughed smiling she quickly pulled me into a hug. “It’s been so long since I’ve seen you!” I smiled hugging her back. “How have you been,” she asked once we pulled away.
“Good,” I whispered.
“Good,” she smiled. “Is Elena home?” I nodded and waved her inside. She followed me up to Elena’s room. She knocked on the door as she opened it, “You up?”
Elena was quite for a moment, “No,” she finally sighed pulling her comforter over her face. Bonnie walked into the room and I closed the door behind us. She went over and pulled the comforter away from Elena’s face. “No, no,” she whined.
I sat down with Bonnie on Elena’s bed, “Why haven’t you called me back?”
“I’m sorry.” Elena sighed.
“Are you gonna stay in there forever?”
“Yep.”
Bonnie huffed, “Move over.” Elena scooted over and Bonnie climbed into the bed on one side, and I on the other. Sandwiching Elena in the middle. “I’m officially worried. What’s going on?”
Elena shook her head, “I’m tired of thinking, of talking.”
“Can I get a one-lined version so I can at least pretend to be helpful?”
“Stefan and I broke up,” whispered Elena in a husky voice.
“I’m so sorry. Are you okay?” Elena looked over at her. “Right. Stupid question.” She huffed, “I know I’ve been kind of MIA when you need me the most. I suck.”
“You wanna make it up to me?” asked Elena. “Get my mind off of it.”
Bonnie smiled, “Just remember you asked for it. Bonnie then hopped out of the bed and closed the only open window in Elena’s room. Elena and I sat up, curious. Bonnie then grabbed a pair of scissors and cut open one of Elena’s feather pillows.
“Hey,” complained Elena. Bonnie then shook out most of the feathers onto the bed.
“Be patient,” she smiled.
“Okay,” nodded Elena.
Bonnie hopped back up onto the bed in front of Elena and I. “I need to swear you to secrecy.”
“It’s kind of a bad week for that kind of stuff,” grumbled Elena.
“Swear. Cause I’m not supposed to be showing you this,” pleaded Bonnie.
“Okay. I swear,” sighed Elena. Bonnie looked at me and I nodded.
“Okay,” she smiled. “There’s not windows open, right?”
Elena looked around, “Right.”
“There’s no fan, no air conditioning.”
“None. What are you doing?”
“Grams just showed me this. You’re gonna love it,” she smirked looking between the both of us. “You ready?” We nodded, unsure of what she was going to do. Bonnie then placed her hand over one of the feathers in the pile and lifted her hand up, concentrating. The feather followed her hand into the air, all by itself. Elena and I stared at it, amazed. Bonnie then put the feather back down.
“Bonnie, what’s going on,” whispered Elena.
Bonnie only smiled rubbing her hands together. She put both her hands over the pile of feathers and about twelve of them flew up into the air. Bonnie then put them back down and placed her hands in her lap. Then, with a flick of her eyes dozens of the feathers flew up into the air and swirled around our heads. I gazed at the feathers with my mouth wide open. Elena knelt on her bed laughing out of shock at the feathers and put a hand over her mouth.
“It’s true, Elena. Everything my grams told me. It’s impossible, and it’s true. I’m a witch,” smiled Bonnie.
Elena nodded, “I believe you.” Bonnie let the feathers fall back down around us.
“It’s weird, huh? After all this time joking about being psychic, I really am a witch.” We chuckled. “You don’t think I’m a freak now, do you?”
“No, of course not,” Elena said shaking her head. I shook mine as well. “Bonnie, I just—I don’t understand, though. If your grams asked you to keep this a secret, why did you tell us?”
“You’re my best friends. I can’t keep secrets from you.” She smiled.
I saw Elena’s eyes sadden. I frowned at her knowing that she was thinking about how she hadn’t told Bonnie about the vampires. Just then Bonnie’s phone buzzed.
“Oh, hey. Um, I gotta get home. My dad needs some help with things. I’ll talk to you guys later,” she smiled.
“Of course,” smiled Elena. I nodded.
“Great.” Bonnie gave us both hugs and then disappeared out the door.
I looked at Elena. She gave me a small smile. “I’m gonna go see Stefan. Would you like to come?”
“Sure,” I smiled. “Hold on a minute.” I got up from Elena’s bed and walked back to my bedroom. I grabbed my phone, iPod and purse before walking back downstairs where Elena waited. She smiled at me and we went out to her big SUV. The ride to Stefan’s house was quite and short. When we got there I saw a big marvelous house. I smiled in awe as we got out of the SUV. Elena walked up to the door and rung the door bell.
“It’s open. Come on in,” a female voice shouted from inside the house.
Elena opened the door with a puzzled look on her face. We walked in and saw a blonde girl in nothing but a towel walking down the hallway towards the door. She stopped short with a shocked look on her face. “Oh, my God. How--? Uh…” she stuttered, “Who--?”
“I’m Elena,” said Elena. “And this is my cousin Selene.” I gave a small wave. “Who are you?”
“Lexi. A friend of Stefan’s.”
“Is he here?” Elena asked slowly.
“He’s in the shower,” Lexi said pointing upstairs. “Um. Do you wanna wait?”
“No,” Elena whispered shaking her head.
Lexi smiled, “I’ll tell him you stopped by.”
“That’s okay,” Elena whispered and then turned and walked out the door. I followed after her and into her car.
“Are you okay?” I asked.
She shook her head but said nothing.
******
Later that night, when darkness fell, the door bell rang. I jogged half way down the steps seeing that Elena had already opened it to reveal Stefan in the doorway. I sat down on the steps not wanting to disturb them.
“Hey,” Stefan said softly.
“What are you doing here?”
“Um, Lexi said that you came by and you seemed upset.”
“Right,” nodded Elena. “The girl in the towel.”
“The towel?” asked Stefan.
“Mm-hm.”
“Oh, no, no.” He chuckled slightly, “No, no, no. Um. Not like that, no. She’s not exactly a girl. Lexi’s, um…She’s three hundred and fifty years old.”
“You means she’s a--?” asked Elena.
Stefan nodded, “And she’s my oldest friend. Nothing romantic. Ever.”
“Oh. Okay, well, she kept staring at me,” Elena said as she backed up letting Stefan step inside the door. “It was weird.”
“Well, you know, I’ve talked about you. A lot. So I guess she felt like she knew you.” They nodded to each other, “So why’d you come by?”
“I, uh…It was a mistake,” she said shaking her head.
Stefan walked closer to her, “Elena, talk to me.”
“I can’t.” She shook her head, “Stefan, I can’t, and that’s the problem. I’m keeping all these secrets from everyone. I can’t even tell my best friend. Do you know how hard that is?” Stefan nodded. “It’s like I need to talk to someone but the only person I can talk to is…you and…”
“I want you to know that I will always be here for you. You can come to me about anything, okay?”
Elena nodded, “Well, thank you for coming by.”
Stefan nodded and walked back to the door way. He then turned back around, “Hey, do you and Selene need a ride to the Grill tonight?”
“Are you going to Caroline’s party?” chuckled Elena.
Stefan smiled, “Lexi’s dragging me. And it’s my birthday.”
“Really?” asked Elena. “Wow. Um…Happy birthday, then.” I smiled, stood up, and bounced down the stairs hugging Stefan.
He chuckled patting my back, “Thank you.”
“Actually, I think I’m gonna stay in tonight.” I pouted up at her.
“Okay,” whispered Stefan. “Well, have a good night.” He smiled to the both of us. Stefan turned and returned to his vehicle. Elena shut the door and I crossed my arms pouting at her.
“Oh, Selene, don’t,” she whined.
“Please, Elena,” I pouted making my eyes bigger.
She took a big sigh rolling her eyes, “Fine. I’ve gotta get changed first, though.”
I clapped my hands together and hugged her, “I’ve gotta get ready too.” I then turned and ran back up the steps. I quickly changed into my ‘Gimme Candy’ outfit and then met Elena back downstairs.
She shook her head at me, “I cannot believe I let you talk me into this.”
I smiled and ran out to the car, waiting for her. She got in and we made the short trip down to the Grill. I followed behind Elena into the Grill. We both ordered a soda and started to walk around. I watched as Elena perched herself on a chair facing the pool table. I looked around the people and saw Stefan and Lexi playing pool. I frowned and nudged Elena. She looked at me and shook her head. Then we saw Damon. He smirked at us and came sauntering over.
“Stefan smiles. Alert the media,” he teased.
“You haven’t given him a lot of reasons to be happy lately,” Elena shot back.
“No, you’re right, Poor Stefan. Persecuted throughout eternity by his depraved brother. Does it get tiring, being so righteous?” he asked Elena. I looked up at him glaring.
Elena scoffs, “It flares up in the presence of psychopaths.” I chuckled following her as she walked away from Damon.
“Ouch. Well, consider this psychopath’s feelings hurt,” he said placing a hand over his heart.
Elena turned around to face him, “What did you do to my brother?”
“I’m gonna need a less vague question.”
“When you did what you did to Jeremy’s memory of Vicki…what else did you do to him?”
“You asked me to take away his memory of fangs and…” Damon growled, “And all the bad stuff.” He shrugged, “You wanted me to take away his suffering.”
“But he’s acting different.” Countered Elena. “He seems okay with everything. And a little too okay. I mean, he’s studying, he’s not doing drugs, he’s not drinking. Are you sure you didn’t do anything else?”
“Elena, I took away his suffering.” He looked at me and winked before walking away.
Elena rolled her eyes, “He is the worst person to be around.” She looked over at me, “Please try to avoid him. He’s dangerous.” I nodded and we walked off.
“Ah. The famous Elena.” We both looked up and sat Lexi standing in front of us with four shot glasses. “And her cousin, Selene, right?” I nodded.
“Towel girl,” Elena sighed.
“I’ve been called worse,” she smiled. “Here.” She then handed us two of the shot glasses.
“I didn’t know that you guys could drink.”
“Oh, yeah. It helps curb the cravings. But makes for a lot of lushy vamps.” She then downed one of the shots.
“You know, I’ve never seen Stefan drunk. He always seems so—“
“Uptight?” Lexi asked.
Elena smiled nodding, “Yeah. But not with you.”
“Well, that’s the benefit of knowing someone for over a hundred years. You can just be yourself.” I smiled at her.
“Yeah, he can’t be himself with me.”
“Well, not yet. The first step was him telling you. The rest comes with time.”
“You seem so sure,” murmured Elena.
Lexi sighs, “The love of my life was human. He went through what I imagine you’re going through. Denial, anger, et cetera. But at the end of the day…love really did conquer all.” She smirks and then looks at our shot glasses, “Are you going to drink those?”
I shake my head pushing it towards her. “Oh, ah, go for it,” Elena smiles handing hers to Lexi. Lexi then downs both of our shot glasses. “I’m scared,” frowns Elena.
“But you’re here. Because you’re crazy about him. I get it, okay? I mean, what’s not to love? Listen, take it from someone who has been around a long time. When it’s real, you can’t walk away.” Lexi then takes the last shot glass and tips it down her throat, Elena and I chuckle. “Ooh,” smiles Lexi as she starts to walk away.
“Hey, Lexi. It was really nice meeting you,” smiled Elena. I nodded in agreement.
She bobs her head thinking about it and then raises her eyebrows. She looks at me and smirks, “Stefan told me about your condition and how it came about. But it’s not only those vampires you need to worry about,” her eyes traveled over to where Damon sat. “Watch your back.” She then turned and walked back over to the pool table.
Elena frowned looking at me. I shrugged, “I don’t know.” I then smiled and spun away, “I feel like dancing. Care to join.” Elena shook her head. I rolled my eyes, waving as it twirled away. And right into someone. I looked up at smirking Damon.
“Well, hello there.” I frowned as he sat down at the bar. “Care for a drink?” I only stared at him. “Hum not very friendly then,” he grumbled waving at the bartender. The bartender put his drink down in front of Damon. “Tell me,” Damon said as he took a sip, “What do you think of the whole vampire thing?” I still continued to stand there and stare at him. He clearly didn’t know that I couldn’t speak. His eyes narrowed, “What cat got your tongue?” I lifted up my neck and traced my scar with my fingers. He frowned pulling his eyebrows together. I went to pull out my cell phone to text him when Lexi came up behind him and put two shot glasses on the table.
“All right, the shots are a bribe. I need you to answer a question. What are you really doing in Mystic Falls?”
“Have you tried the brittle? Wins awards,” taunted Damon as he took one of the shots.
“Cut the crap,” snapped Lexi.
“Okay. I have a diabolical master plan.”
Lexi nodded, “What is it?”
“Well, if I told you, it wouldn’t be very diabolical, now would it?” he asked looking over at me for support. I only glared.
“Does it involve Stefan?” she asked.
Damon looked over his shoulder to the front entrance. I followed my gaze and saw Sheriff Forbes and two of her Deputies plowing their way towards us. I watched as Forbes walked right up to us and then stabbed a needle into Lexi’s thigh, most likely full of Vervain. I stepped back as Damon stood up, looking shocked, which I knew was all fake.
“Lexi,” I whispered, low enough no one heard me.
“What are you doing?” asked Damon.
“Thank you for the vervain,” whispered Forbes. “Now if you’ll excuse me.” The Sheriff then turned and walked away with the deputies hauling Lexi behind her. I went to run after them but Damon caught my wrist.
“Don’t,” he growled. I glared up at him and then smacked him. His face grew darker and his hold on my wrist got tighter. I saw Elena and Stefan head towards the back door, since the front door was guarded. I shoved Damon off of me and ran after Elena and Stefan. We ran around back where gun shots could be heard. Lexi had shoved the two officers off her and was heading for the Sheriff. She was about to attack when Damon jumped in front of her and staked her heart. Elena gasped loudly and Stefan grabbed a hold of her, placing his hand over her mouth. I stared in shock.
“Oh, my God,” whispered Stefan as he stared in horror as his best friend was being killed.
Tears escaped my eyes and slipped down my cheeks. Damon and the Sheriff then lifted Lexi’s body up and shoved it into the trunk of the squad car. I looked over at Stefan and Elena who had mirroring faces of horror. Stefan then pushed Elena away and started to storm away.
“Stefan! Stefan,” begged Elena as she ran after him with me following behind. She grabbed a hold of his arm and he pushed her hand away.
“He killed her. He killed Zach, he killed Tanner, he turned Vicki. I have to kill him,” Stefan’s voice was laced with both anger and remorse. I frowned grabbing his arm as he turned away.
“No, you can’t do that,” Elena said grabbing his arm as well.
“Why are you trying to save him,” snapped Stefan as he pushed our hands away. “Elena, he’s never gonna change. Don’t you see that? He’s never gonna change.”
“I’m not trying to save him. I’m trying to save you,” cried Elena. “You have no idea what this will do to you. Please, Stefan.”
“Everywhere that I go, pain and death follow. Damon follows me. No more.”
“Stefan, please, please, just talk to me. Let me be here for you,” pleaded Elena. “Talk to me.”
“No,” whispered Stefan. He shook his head, “You were right to stay away from me.” Stefan then turned and walked away.
I looked at Elena how was crying. I hugged her and she hugged me back letting the sobs go. I cried with her. “It’s okay, Elena,” I whispered as we cried. She shook her head and then took my wrist, pulling me back to the car and driving us home. We didn’t say a word to each other as we drove home or when we got back into the house. She hugged me outside her bedroom and then turned and closed the door behind her. I looked down frowning as I walked back to my room. I flicked on the lights and saw that my window was open. I frowned even more remembering that I had closed it before I left. I shrugged wondering if Jenna hand opened it to let cool air in. I walked over closing my window and blinds before changing into my Hello Kitty pajamas. I turned off the light and climbed into bed, curling up next to Sakura, Kota, Skye, and Sapphire. I shut my eyes and when I was almost asleep, I felt those same fingers touch my cheek, just like I had ever since I had moved into Elena’s. I never knew who it was because before I could even think about opening my eyes, I was asleep.