Sayonara, Konohagakure

Chapter 02: The First's

Sayonara, Konohagakure

A story made by: Urube

Chapter Two: The First's

Rin stretched out in her bed, yawning as she did so. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and pulled the duvet away from her body.

Beside her, the alarm clock went off in a high pitched beeping tone. Rin looked at the digital numbers there shined brightly in the near dark room. She undid the alarm and put her feet out of the edge of the bed, planting them solid on the floor.

In her sleep-fogged mind, Rin couldn't remember why she had to get up so early. Her father has never been one for showing up in time, so Rin of course, being his adoptive daughter, did the same as her father. Her training started first four hours from now and even then, she would first start at at least noon.

Rin yawns again as she tried to figure out why she was up so early. That's when something caught her eye, something there lay on the night table.

“!” That's the present Kiba-kun gave me! Rin thought and took the small object in her hands. The special handmade kunai that oba-san may have requested, but it was something from Kiba-kun. She smiled by that thought and that was when another thought went into her mind.

“Oh no! I'm gonna be late for my first day at school!” Rin panics to herself while she throws the kunai back on the night table. She then stands up, turns on the lights and then went to her closet to open it up and find three sets of clothes there were similar to each other and it was the same as she was wearing yesterday at her birthday.

She takes the clothes down from the shelf’s and puts on the clothes again, grabbing a brush there lay beside the kunai and brush it through her medium length hair. Afterward, she throws the brush aside and runs out to the bathroom. She starts brushing her teeth furiously and finish quickly, knowing in the back of her mind that she didn't brushed her teeth well enough. But she was busy and when time went against one, things is done unfinished.

Rin ran her way into the kitchen, grabbing a flute there lay on the kitchen table and starts eating while she just remembered that she had forgot her new kunai upstairs. She took it in her hand and placed it inside her weapon pouch she had tied around her left thigh. After securing everything was in order and back in place, Rin ran downstairs, the flute in her hand half-eaten, and went into the kitchen again to get something to drink before she went to school.

She heard quiet footsteps entering the kitchen from the bedroom, but she was so busy taking a glass and opening for the sink that she didn't noticed that Kakashi had woke up and had walked into the kitchen, with his book in his hand and the headband throwed aside, though he still kept his mask on.

Rin was finished with purring water into her glass and was about to take a quick sip when a voice startled her; “Good morning, Rin.”

Rin half-screamed, half-shouted and cursed under her breath. After giving the large ninja a death glare, she then took a sip from her glass. Luckily for her, she didn't drop the glass when Kakashi showed up, though she had spilled on the floor from the sudden shock.

“Good morning, Dad.” Rin said after drinking. She took a bite from her flute and talked with her mouth full. “What are you doing up so early? I thought you would be sleeping by now.”

“Why would I when it's the first day of your school life? I wouldn't miss that.” Kakashi told her in a bored voice and flipped a page in his book.

“It's just doesn't look like you to be so concerned about me. You leave an explanation and then leave me be, expecting me to take care of it myself.” Rin said as a matter-of-factually and swallowed before taking another bite and slumped it down with an amount of water.

“This is a different case. You'll understand it when you get kids yourself.” Kakashi said somewhat softly and clasped his book together, placing it in his weapon pouch there were tied by his bottom.

“Hm.” Rin hummed thoughtful. “I suppose.” She took the last of the bread in one bite and had quite a fight to chew it, but she managed and she swallowed it before drowning the last bit with the water she had left.

“You better eat more than that or you'll starve before you even reach the Academy. And you know how you get when you're hungry.” Kakashi said in a parent-like voice, opening the closet and took out some small cylinder shaped boxes with the kanji of ramen. “Here, take this,” Kakashi ordered while offering the object to her. “You can eat this on the way over there.”

“But then I have to boil some water first!” Rin said in a childish tone and stomped with her foot, pouting like the five year old child she was. “And it'll take too long.” she added.

“Don't worry, I'll fix that.” Kakashi assured her and smiled underneath his mask. Rin took the box into her hands after putting the glass on the kitchen table and watched as Kakashi took a pot and poured some water in it. After he was satisfied with the amount, he turned off the sink and placed the pot on the stove, taking a step back to give space to himself. Rin was experienced enough with this kind, so without Kakashi telling her a word, she stepped up behind him and watched as he performed his jutsu.

“Katon: Gokakyo no Jutsu!” Kakashi said and fired a small line of fire against the pot, keeping it coming for some moments until he could see the water boiling. He undid the jutsu and took the pot in his hands. Rin opened up the box and watched as Kakashi poured the still very hot water into the ramen there seemed to immediately soften as the water hits it.

“Thanks!” Rin said happily and grabbed the chopsticks there were on the paper like thing there held the ramen and before splitting it in two, she placed the warm box on the kitchen table. She looked through her pockets to make sure she had everything she needed for her first day. After reassuring it, she took the box in her hand, the chopsticks already back in place in her other hand.

“Don't make too much trouble now.” Kakashi said in a playful tone as Rin made her way out of the apartment.

“Of course not.” Rin replied in a bored tone. She took a bite from her ramen, but regretted it the second after after feeling how hot it was. She breathed quickly in and out of her mouth there were shaped like a little 'o' to cool the warm food down.

Kakashi opened the door for her and chuckled when he saw her expression. Rin glared at him, but went outside without doing or saying anything.

“Bye, bye.” Kakashi said cheerfully and waved to the back of Rin with a smile on his face and his mismatched eyes closed.

“Bye, bye!” Rin replied and turned her way toward the Academy.

“And don't kiss any boys.” Kakashi teased. Rin stopped in her tracks, a blush finding its way to her cheeks, almost turning them as red as her hair. She turned around and gave her adoptive father the most deathly death glare she could muster.

“Am not! Boys are disgusting!” Rin groaned and stomped her foot, turning while cursing in her head of how childish his father acted.

Kakashi laughed by her reaction, his features somewhat glowing. The glow disappeared as soon as Rin was out of sight.

Kakashi felt kinda sad at the moment, but he wasn't sure why. He has finally somewhat gotten rid of the demon he despised when he first found her, but now he felt... lonely. An emptiness in his heart that just didn't made sense to him.

Kakashi shrugged it off, thinking it wasn't that important to him.

X X X

At the Academy, two kids were waiting outside the door or rather, enjoying the sunrise before they have to go to class. One was dressed in sand colored baggy pants with a simple fish net shirt and a small sea-green vest draped around his slim shoulders. He had black short hair with matching eyes and pants, his cheeks were painted, a purple mark circling with a single drop falling down on the inside of the circle. He wore blue sandals and had bandages wrapped around his shin on the left leg.

The other were more neutral, wearing black pants, blue sandals and a white sweater there were a little big on him. He had dark blue hair, just going below his eyes there too were dark blue. His almost pale skin reflected the sun rising from the horizon as he tilted his head and looked upwards toward the sky.

“It sure is a nice weather today, don't you think Jirou?” the blue haired boy asked the other as he yet again tilted his head, this time to the side as he was deep in thoughts.

“Sure is. It's rare so early in the spring.” the other noted and gave a big yawn.

“Mm-hm, it is.” Ichirou nodded and looked down again, eying the trees and the few other kids there too had made it to the Academy early like them. “Hmm...” Ichirou hummed softly, his eyes changing as if he was deep in thoughts. “What do you think mom had made for lunch?”

Jirou shrugged, his lips pursing ever the slightest. “Dunno. Maybe our favorite since it's our first day at the Academy.” Jirou suspected and then shrugged the object off, didn't listened to his older twin brother as Ichirou start talking.

“Oh, you mean salted beef? Man, now I can't wait for lunch! I can't even concentrate in class now! Jirou, why did you have to say that?” He cried some fake tears there flowed down his puffed cheeks.

“You asked and I answered. Simple as that.” Jirou explained, sighing and looking away. While Ichirou was complaining, Jirou noticed a girl, a particular girl, walking toward the Academy with some sort of box in her hands that she was eating of while she walked.

“Hey, Ichirou.” Jirou interrupted again. Ichirou stopped and looked confused at his younger twin brother. “Look over there.” Jirou said and tilted his head toward the girl.

“Hm?” The blue headed boy hummed softly and looked over to said directions. His eyes widened as he recognized the girl.

“Hey! It's that girl from yesterday!” he said excited, pointing at the girl while looking at his twin brother. Jirou lifted his arm, grabbed a hold of the other's wrist and pulled his arm down.

“It's rude to point at people.” he simply stated and went back to his previous pose.

“Right.” Ichirou mumbled shamefully. “But wait-!” Ichirou said quick, as if realizing something. “Do you think she'll start at the Academy, like us?”

“Dunno. You can ask her, she's here.” Jirou tilted his head forward, letting his body lean up against the wall behind him the second after. Ichirou looked confused at his brother for a moment before looking at the same direction as before and screamed in shock.

“Jesus,” Ichirou said in shock and clenched the area on his chest where his heart were beating a bit faster than normal. “You scared me.” he then said to the girl there had suddenly appeared in front of them.

“Don't talk about people behind their backs.” was the girl response. “Besides, I could hear you miles away. If you ever want to become true ninjas, make sure to not make so much noise.” She held the box with both of her hands and then lifted it up to her lips to drink the last contents of the ramen she received from her father earlier.

“Oh yeah? And who made you a sensei?” Ichirou said with a voice he hoped sounded calm and smart. To emphasize his point, he placed his hands on the hips and lifted his eyebrow while talking.

The girl swallowed the last bit and gave a satisfied sigh when she was finished. She broke the chopsticks and placed them inside the now empty box. “No one, but my father had taught me that and he's a jonin.” she said after she were finished. She led the box stay in her left hand as she used her free hand to dry off her mouth with the backside of her hand.

“Well, I was just, um...” Ichirou blinked and then his eyes changed again, deep in thoughts. He still had his hands on the hips, so he looked funny standing there with a very concentrated look in his eyes.

The girl chuckled at that. Ichirou looked confused at her when the sound was made and before he could ask her what she was laughing about, she spoke; “You look funny when you try to concentrate.”

“Try? I'm not trying, I am concentrating!”

“Well, if you really were concentrating, you wouldn't have looked at me when I chuckled. You would just have ignored it.” she stated as a matter-of-factually.

“I, um...” Ichirou was surprised or in other words, impressed. No matter what he said and did, this girl had some sort of come back there didn't left much argue behind. Ichirou knew he himself was smart, his mother had mentioned that a thousands times and it had been proved several times at well, with games, writing tasks and tests. For one of his age, he was probably one of the most clever ones, though there are times where he doesn't think very far. So whenever he was in a discussion or argument, he would always win cause he'd always had something up his sleeve, but this girl...

This girl had proved something different, proved him wrong. He still had a lot to learn...

Either that, or it was too damn early in the morning. When Ichirou was tired, he couldn't think straight. Or when he was hungry.

“And to answer your earlier question,” the girl said, interrupting Ichirou's thoughts. “Yes, I am starting on the Academy. Anything else you would like to know before I go inside?”

“Yeah, what's your name?” Ichirou smiled, his mood changing again from confusion to happiness.

“Rin. And you?”

“Mori Ichirou. And this is my brother, Jirou.” He pointed to the boy beside him who gave a small huff, his painted cheeks puffing up ever the slightest. “You don't have any last names?” Ichirou tilted his head and looked confused at the shorter girl who's name was Rin.

“Hatake.” Rin said and then walked over to the front door there were a few feet to her left. Both boys looked after her and Ichirou took a step forward to see Rin properly without any problems.

“Hey, why don't you stay here and enjoy the weather? It's so nice out, almost no skies and if the sun was up higher, it would have been perfect!” Ichirou said excited, his blue eyes shining with hope.

Rin stopped in her tracks just outside the door and gave the brothers a bored look. “No, I'll go inside. You guys can stay here and have fun for all I care.” She opened the door with her left hand since her right hand was holding the empty box. She entered the Academy and disappeared out of the boys sight.

Ichirou whistled in surprise. “She's cold, isn't she?”

“Couldn't careless.” came his response. Ichirou looked at his younger twin brother and pointed a finger at him.

“You're cold and rude!” Ichirou scolded.

“So what? If that girl don't want to be friends with us, then I don't want to waste my energy on her. It's her own choice anyway.” Jirou shrugged, hoping to end the conversation with that, but was met with disappointment.

“It's not her own choice, damn it!” Ichirou said determined.

Now he's getting stubborn. Jirou thought, already knowing what would happen next.

“I'm going to let her befriend us, no matter the cost!”

“What? You got a crush on her, Ichirou?” Jirou said teasingly, but didn't expect the answer he got.

Ichirou blushed and splattered some words out before a fully understandable sentence left his lips. “No, of course not! She's pretty and all, but I'm not in l-love with her!” Ichirou avoided his brother's eyes while saying this, leaving Jirou completely in shock.

Jirou looked at his brother's back with widening eyes. “Wow, bro, I never imagined that you would fall for a girl on first look.”

“I told you, I'm not in love with her!” Ichirou said stubborn and stomped his foot down to prove his point, but to no avail.

“Whatever. Let's go inside. Class are about to start.” Jirou said, walking over to the door in slow steps. Ichirou looked behind him, still blushing, but quickly gathered himself and followed his younger brother inside the Academy.

X X X

The sun had moved from the horizon to the blue sky above the village, telling the citizens that it was pass noon. The village was oddly quiet, only some shops were open, the owner not making that much noise about their shop being the cheapest. The village was peaceful today, lazy, quiet, humble, whatever you can call it and two young boys enjoyed this on top of a roof, laying on a box like thing with a ceiling, leaving the four sides wide open to the chilly air.

“Shikamaru,” a boy said with brown spiky hair and red swirling marks adorning his cheeks. He wore a green sweater there were light at the top and dark at the bottom and gray pants there reached below his knees. He was big-boned or as other kid called it, fat. But alas, no one's perfect. “When do you think that girl, Rin, will get here?”

“Dunno, Choji,” Shikamaru said in a bored tone and shrugged. “She didn't told me when she would get here.”

The two of them sighed in sync, didn't noticed the other doing so.

“What is she like?” Choji asked, tilting his head while he still looked up at the sky.

“Like any other girls, I guess. Though, she can be a little protective of herself and go up in defense when there's something she doesn't like to talk about. But I think she can be nice when she wants too. It's just a matter of time.” Shikamaru explained the best he could by the little talk he and Rin had yesterday. After all, what they mostly did was sleep on the very same roof Choji and Shikamaru is laying on now and sleep can't help you very much in knowing a person.

“She sounds like a nice girl.” Choji commented after had taking in on what Shikamaru said.

“Nah,” Shikamaru said, cleaning his ear with his pinky. “She's too troublesome.”

Choji grinned by the young boy's statement.

X X X

Rin sighed in boredom, watching the clock tick by with each second. When she had heard what the first lesson was, she was excited. When the second came, she thought she had heard it before, but couldn't remember it. And through out the rest of the day was just boredom. Everything they learned was something Rin already knew. She thought she was about to learn something new at the Academy, but it was all old knowledge.

All in all, she was having a very boring day.

I wonder if that Shikamaru boy is going to keep his promise? Rin thought while her teacher ranted on about chakra and how you control it. What if he doesn't show up? What if it all was a sick joke? Would there be kids waiting and laughing at me for thinking I could be one of them?

Rin sighed, this time in stress. She had never been able to get along with strangers and now was any different. As time passed by slowly, Rin was having second thoughts about going to meet the boy and just go home and act like nothing has happened. But something in her heart told her not to do anything so cruel to a boy that has been lazy, but acting nice towards her.

If he's joking around, I'll just give him a smack and never talks to him again. If he's nice... then I'll just take things from there. Rin decided to herself and sat up, listening to the rest of the class. She had nothing else to do...

X X X

After school ended, Rin walked out, looking around in the front yard there were. A good open wide space to run around in and a large old oak tree with a swing on it by the end of the yard. To her left was the way into the village and to her right was the fence that kept unwanted children outside.

Rin trudged up to the swing, sitting down on it, swaying gently back and forth. While she was doing that, she thought of what to do now. She didn't knew if the boy from yesterday was there yet and waiting for her, but she wasn't sure so she wouldn't meet up too early. And wait. She hated to wait. It was, to say the least, boring for a five year old.

“Well,” she said out loud to herself and jumped down from the swing again. “It's better than just sit here and wait.” she mumbled, decided to go over to the roof, her pace slow and lazy.

But lastly she ended up jumping from rooftop to rooftop cause Rin was getting impatient. Soon enough, she ended up on the same roof as yesterday and she nearly tripped by the view she was met with.

Both Shikamaru and his friend Shikamaru was talking about lay on the spot Rin and Shikamaru was on yesterday. Rin didn't knew how to react. So she just stood there and watched them watching the clouds, deep in her thoughts.

Shikamaru sensed her presence and lifted his head to see who was there. After confirming the intruder, Shikamaru sat up on his elbows and spoke to Rin in a bored tone.

“Hey, are you coming over or what?”

Rin jumped by the voice interrupting her thoughts and blushed when she realized she had been caught as staring at some people. Without saying a word, Rin made her way to the boys and sat beside Shikamaru, making Shikamaru sit between her and the other boy there were with them.

Rin gave the stranger a look and so did the boy to her. Shikamaru groaned and closed his eyes, scratching his neck. “Choji, this is Rin, the girl I've been talking about. Rin, this is Choji, the friend I spoke about yesterday.” And with that, Shikamaru lay down with his hands tugged behind his head and a bored expression on his frames.

“Pleased to meet you.” the boy, Choji, says with a nod of his head and finds a bag of chips from his pocket. Rin pondered how he had fitted it in there, but didn't questioned it. Instead, she greeted back.

“It's a pleasure to meet you too, Choji-san.” she nodded and then lay down, folding her hands on her stomach and looked at the heaven above her.

“It sure is a nice sky out today, don't you think?” Choji said in between bites and offered some chips for Shikamaru and Rin to share. They each took one and chewed on it slowly, savoring the taste longer than Choji.

“Sure is.” Shikamaru muttered and gave a small sigh.

“Why is it that we're watching the sky again? I'm bored...” Rin groaned, sitting up and looked at the two lazy boys beside her. “Why don't we go out and play ninja with the others or something?” she added.

“We're watching the skies cause it isn't too troublesome and playing ninja with the others would be too troublesome.” Shikamaru answered, cleaning his ear with his pinky.

Rin sweat dropped. “If I remember correctly, you called yesterday troublesome too. What, got a problem or something?”

“Nah, that's just how Shikamaru is.” Choji answered for him while chewing on his chips. “He finds everything troublesome, but usually he doesn't mean it. Unless it really is troublesome.” he smiled and offered another round of chips. Both parties accepted and chewed slowly on the sweet.

There were a moment of silence in which the tree kids looked at the heaven, seeing the clouds pass by. “Say, Rin-chan,” Choji said, starting a conversation. “How old are you?”

“I'm five.” she answered, keeping an eye out on a sky there looked like a rabbit, but she wasn't sure. “I've had birthday just yesterday. I'd started in the Academy today.”

“Really? Shikamaru and I started in the same class last year. That means we all gonna be ninjas someday!” Choji exclaimed and smiled happily while eating.

“I don't know, it'll be too much of a drag...” Shikamaru muttered.

“Yeah,” Rin mumbled, mostly to herself. “One day I'm gonna be a ninja and then I'll be Hokage.” She clenched her hands into small fists and glared at the heaven. “And then I'm gonna show them all that even girls can be strong.”

“Do what you want, but I think I'm just gonna stay here for the rest of my life.” Shikamaru said with a hint of sarcasm. Choji chuckled while eating his chips and Rin gave him a look of death, but seeing that he was joking, Rin let it slide and then choose to watch the sky with them, no matter how boring it may had been.