Fences

Afraid

Typical night at my house was my mom going out with her friends. They all spent all week working hard and they went out on Saturday nights to drink. I was left alone to “fend” for myself. I didn’t mind, I always felt alone an alienated.

Those, this particular night, as I heated up cold lasagna for myself, I thought about Lily. I could see the light to her living room from my kitchen; her curtains were open, and her and her mom were play fighting, all the while they had pizza. I wondered how anyone could see this and think they were weird. They were normal. I longed for that type of normalcy.

The ding to the microwave broke my stare and I quickly grabbed my warmed up food.
I sat in the living room, turning the TV on and getting lost in whatever was on. Anything that wasn’t too boring. Anything that made me forget how shitty my life was.
*

I was back on the couch the next day, and my mom was getting ready to go to church. She stepped in front of the TV, where some REM video was going. She had her hands on her hips, in her burgundy Sunday dress.

“Frankie, why don’t you come to church with me.” It was a statement, rather than a question.

“I don’t want to.” I murmured, keeping my eyes on the TV.

“There are some boys outside playing basketball, why don’t you join them?” She tapped her foot.

“They don’t like me.” I told her.

“How do you know?”

I turned to the window, seeing the “boys” outside; “That Tommy Delosso and Gary Anders. They gave me that concussion two months ago.”

She frowned when I turned back to the TV, “You can’t sit inside all day. Maybe you should get a job.”

“Okay. I’ll find a job.” I muttered impatiently.

I wanted her to leave.

“I mean it, Frank, you have to get out of the house!”

I sighed, “Okay. Sheesh, school just let last week!”

“I only want you to be happy, son.”

I frowned, “Let me be lazy, then I’ll be happy.”

“Maybe you should stay with your father and his new wife for the summer.” She seemed helpless, but it was just her being over dramatic.

“Yeah, maybe.” I rolled my eyes at her.

“I’m going now. I want you to socialize.”

My mom skipped out moments later and I decided maybe she was right. I needed fresh air, and there was nothing on TV. I stepped outside, the front door, and saw Tommy and Gary with a few girls from our school. Tara and Marjorie, both cheerleaders who never gave me a second glance; but today they saw me and laughed. As usual.

I sighed and went back in, leaning against my front door. That’s when Lily came into mind. I hadn’t seen or head of her in a couple of days. I had been hold up in my room, playing with my guitar. I had a feeling she didn’t want me around, but who knows.

I made my way out to the backyard, and sure enough, I heard her usual soft voice humming. I went towards the fence, looking through the slits, and saw that she wasn’t alone. Her mom was in her vegetable garden, and Lily was helping. I swallowed thickly, just watching and I turned towards the tree, sitting there, hoping to hide until my mom came back.

“Dr. Brickman says you’re looking better. Are you feeling better?” Her mother had a voice that was soothing. It was like silk.

“A little bit, bit you know how that is, mom.” Lily seemed uninterested in talking about what her mother wanted to.

“Hey, maybe we can go on a trip? We can go to Disneyland, or to the Grand Canyon.” Her mom laughed at her own words.

“No, I know that, that’s impossible.”

“No it isn’t Lily—“

“I don’t want to get sick or have you worry. Plus, I really like the summers here…not to hot, not to chilly. Right in the middle.”

Her mom gave a low frustrated sigh, “Lily, you know I just want you to be happy.”

“I am happy. I’m alive…longer than the doctors expected. I don’t need to go anywhere to be happy.”

The way she spoke made me feel bad for her. What kid wouldn’t jump at the chance to go to Disney world, or a trip across country? Here Lily was wanting to stay in Jersey and spend her summer. She must’ve been a weirdo.

“Alright, Lily, whatever you want.” Her mom was sweet.

I listened to them both hum, until her mom went inside. Lily was quiet, and I saw her walk across the yard to the fence, and she stood. Her white dress was new, and I wondered how long it would take before it got dirty.

“How long have you been here?” She asked me.

“A little while.” I murmured.

I walked to the fence and stood where she was.

“How come you didn’t say anything? My mom is nice.”

“I didn’t want to seem like a creep.”

She gave a soft laugh, “I believe it’s creepier to just sit there and listen."

I blushed, “Oh yeah.”

“It’s alright. If she knew that you were listening, she’d probably invite you over. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to be placed between a rock and a hard place.”

I furrowed my brows, “What do you mean?”

“Would you really come over and hang out with me? I’m sure you’re afraid of catching something from me.” Lily spoke as if she were predicting the future.

That wasn’t the future, I wouldn’t have said no. I wouldn’t have turned down the invite, though I would refused, but would come by the second invite.

“I would have come.” I murmured quietly.

“Why?”

“Because I have nothing else better to do.”

Lily didn’t say anything. I knew that came out wrong.

“Wait! No, I meant, I wouldn’t have accepted it as a pity thing. I don’t have many friends and…y’know, it’s kind of lonely.” I told her the truth sheepishly.

“Oh. Alright.” Lily got closer to the fence, “But, you aren’t afraid?”

“What you got can’t be transmitted through the air, can it?”

“No.”

I tweaked my lips, “Then I’m not afraid.”

“One day, we should meet.” She said softly with a hint of amusement in her tiny voice. Before I could say anything, her watch began to beep, “I have to go get lunch.”

“Why don’t you just eat when you want?” I asked dumbly.

“Because if I did that, I wouldn’t be here.” She turned, her dark hair twirled, “I’ll talk to you later?”

“Yeah.”

“See you soon, Frankie.”

“See you, Lily.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting! I appreciate it!
I was wondering, is it weird that her name is Lily? Because I've been thinking of changing it. I never thought Frank would have a daughter and name her Lily, so I was wondering if that was too weird or not.