Status: don't be a silent reader, please :)

The Memories Between Us

austin.

“So, what are you going to wear tonight?” Anastasia asked from my computer desk, swinging her legs off the corner. “Andrew and the guys are about to throw one huge party tonight before Outbreak starts. Pretty cool, huh?”

I picked at the rose red nail polish on my thumb until I burst out of my thoughts to look at her. She had on a smile that illuminated the entire room. Anastasia was one of my best friends; actually she was somewhat like a sister to me. Her boyfriend was Andy Oliver – the drummer for I See Stars. As for me, I was as single as it got. I wasn’t looking, either. Relationships were just out of the question at the time.

“I don’t know; my sweater?” I shrugged and stood up off my bed to walk over to my sliding closet. I picked off my pink dream catcher sweater and held it to my chest. “What do you think?”

“Sweetie,” Anastasia sighed, holding her forehead in disapproval. “I know it’s October and all, but it’s still hot as fuck. There is no way in hell I’m letting you out of this room wearing a sweater. You’ve got arms and legs; show ‘em off!” She hopped off the desk and moved me out of her way. I watched her intently, curious on what she was picking out for me. She laid the outfit out behind me on the bed and smiled in accomplishment. I stared down at my Diesel Sunglasses tank top, stripped shorts, faded dot tights, and my dark navy Doc Martens.

I bit my lip and picked up the clothes she laid out for me. “I haven’t worn these stupid things in months.” I told her quietly. “I’ll look stupid.”

“No, you won’t. Trust me on this one, okay? Please,” She pouted.

“Eh,” I groaned. “Fine, but you owe me – big fucking time.”

--


Anastasia parked her car in front of the Oliver household and we both got out smiling. Cars lined the block and probably the rest of the neighborhood too. We walked into the house, shoving past our sea of friends. One thing that sucked about being single was always being a third wheel; while Anastasia was with Andrew, it was just me, myself, and I.

“Are you drinking tonight, Cait?” Andrew asked, making me shoot out of my thoughts. He was holding a red cup and a bottle of vodka ready to be poured. I shook my head as he put the items away. “Designated driver, eh?”

“No, just trying to lay low on the alcohol.” I told him and grabbed a can of Pepsi.

I smiled at the couple before walking upstairs to the attic. Loneliness built up inside me and I regretted going to this party. My mind raced with a million thoughts and before I knew it, I was in the hallway apologizing to someone for spilling my soda all over their red flannel.

“Fuck, I’m so sorry. I wasn’t paying attention. I didn’t mean to spill my soda, I’m sorry.” I rambled, staring at the wet spot.

“It’s fine,” The person chuckled at my overreacting. “I do have a shirt under here.”

I looked up and nodded, moving past him. “Enjoy the rest of your night.” I could feel his eyes bore holes into my back as I walked off, which made me a bit uncomfortable.

I pulled the cord that brought down the stairs to the attic before heading up. It was a bit dark besides the street lights glowing through the window. I turned on one of the lamps by the couch and sat down. Only in times like these I wished I had more friends. Anastasia was the only one I wanted to keep around; the others I’d just push away.

After a few minutes sulking to myself, I heard someone climbing up the steps. I must’ve forgotten to haul the steps back up. Now I began to panic – this person could’ve been some psycho serial killer or a rapist. Plus, the skimpy clothing that Anastasia chose for me wouldn’t help my condition, either. My breathing became rapid as I heard the footsteps coming closer.

“You look like you could use a little company,” It was the same guy I ran into. Except this time he was wearing a grey and white striped tank top with his wet flannel in his hand. “I don’t think we got properly acquainted earlier. I’m Austin, by the way – Austin Carlile.”

“Caitlyn Diaz,” I shook his hand once he held it out. “Sorry about spilling my drink on you – I only do that to people I don’t like.”

We both talked for a while until I had to leave. Anastasia wasn’t feeling good and she sure as hell wasn’t sober, leaving me to drive her home. I gathered my things and let Austin walk me to Anastasia’s car where she was already waiting in the passenger seat.

“Oh, before you go,” Austin said suddenly as he held onto my arm. “Can I get your number, so we can hang out again sometime? Hopefully not in an abandoned attic next time.” He gave me a half smile that instantly sent me butterflies.

I dialed in my number into his phone and said goodbye before getting into Anastasia’s car. She looked like she was fast asleep but I knew she was just shutting her eyes for the time being until we got home. Her eyes peered open slightly as she turned her head to my direction.

“You slept with him, d-didn’t you?” Anastasia slurred with a goofy smile on her face. “Was he any good?”

My jaw dropped a little and I slapped her arm once we reached the stoplight. “Did not. Sheesh, is that all that’s on your mind right now?” I shook my head, giggled softly. “I just met the guy a few hours ago. But his name is Austin and he’s a sweetheart.” Anastasia rolled her eyes and went back to shutting them.

I parked the car inside the garage and helped Anastasia into the house. She stumbled a little going up the stairs but I managed to get her into bed safely. I laid out an Advil and a cup of water on her nightstand for her to find in the morning or the middle of the night. My own kindness amazes me – the award for best friend should go to none other than me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit.!

Seriously should be more Austin/Of Mice & Men on Mibba. I mean, really.