Status: writing a story is like putting on paper the things you ultimately fantasize or what you want to happen :]

Together Under Our Roof

What the Hell Happened?

Michael was lying on the couch, eating a Popsicle, thinking about Misty’s sadness she had shown that morning at the kitchen table, trying to find out her frozen state meant.

Suddenly the door creaked open and Misty stood with tears streaking her face and her hair and clothes drenched wet. Michael dashed to her side, concern striking through him.

Misty silently sobbed as she pushed past Michael and walked to the bathroom.

Michael grabbed Misty from behind and turned her around.

“What happened?” Michael demanded from Misty.

“Nothing,” Misty snapped back.

“This doesn’t look like nothing,” Michael said, motioning to the dampness of her hair and clothes. Misty looked away. “Misty,” Michael demanded firmly again.

“My name was pronounced wrong,” Misty said as if nothing else mattered. Michael did not buy it.

“That’s not it.”

Misty frowned, not willing to go further. Michael waited, his hand gripping firmly around her arm. Misty could not escape.

“I got a swirly! Are you happy now?” Misty exclaimed, humiliated. “Now can I go?”

“Who gave you the swirly? Who was it Misty?” Michael continued firmly. Misty stayed silent, determined not to tell Michael. Michael waited for what seemed like hours but Misty would not tell him. He let out a loud sigh before letting Misty go.

Before Misty could get into the bathroom, Michael grabbed her again and held her close to him in a tight embrace. Misty dug her face into his warm chest, tears threatening to drip.

“Let go. I smell like a toilet,” Misty said in a low voice before pushing Michael away from her. Misty slipped into the bathroom and stripped of her wet clothes and hopped into the shower.

Michael became infuriated. He wanted to know who would do such a thing to someone like Misty but he knew that he had no right to interfere in her life. Although he really wanted to help her, he could not. He was frustrated about what he could do for her.

Through the door, he heard Misty’s quiet, stifled whimpers. The sounds pulled at his heart, making his insides go weak. He never liked the sound of a girl’s tears but this was different. He wanted to do everything for this troubled girl.

Anger bubbled up in the pit his stomach. He got up and started pacing around the living room, trying to think of some way to find the people who had hurt Misty. He wanted to make sure she was never hurt again.

It felt like hours before Misty finally emerged from the bathroom, her eyes swollen and her face pale. She avoided Michael’s worried eyes and raced to her room.

Michael followed behind her, grabbing her small wrist like a bracelet. Misty stopped in her tracks but refused to turn around to face Michael.

“Misty, please, look at me,” Michael pleaded. Misty did not obey. Michael slowly turned her around. Misty’s eyes were teary, glazed over as her face went red. Unable to say anything to her tears, Michael sighed deeply before drawing her back into another embrace.

Misty let out a single sob, feeling the warmth take over her body. She felt protected for the moment and wanted to let everything out for this man to hear but she could not. She could barely utter a single word.

“I’m going to go take a nap,” Misty said, pushing Michael away from her.

“Want me to sleep with you?” Michael asked. Misty stood there shock filling her eyes. Michael laughed. “I was kidding. Lighten up, okay?” Michael said, pushing Misty into her room and closing the door behind her.

Michael backed away from the door and fell into his couch. “That was close,” he whispered to himself. He turned on his side and fell asleep.

Misty stood in her room, bewildered. She was almost about to say yes! What had gotten over her? Too tired to care, she rushed to her bed and fell into it with a loud thud. Without another thought, she fell into a deep sleep.

♀♂

Michael knocked on Misty’s door, ready to wake her up for her job, which he was not too sure when it started. He waited as Misty slowly opened the door, groggy from her slumber.

“Why’d you wake me up,” Misty asked Michael when she got to the door.

“You have work, don’t you?” Michael returned to the half asleep Misty. She snapped out of her sleepiness.

“Holy shit, what time is it?” Misty exclaimed before going back into her room to change.

When she finished getting ready, she raced out of the front door. Michael was right on her heels.

“Why are you following me?” Misty asked over her shoulder as she raced to her job at the burger joint.

“I just wanted to ask if you wanted me to come pick you up later. I’m not really comfortable with you walking around when it gets dark out,” Michael said, his long strides carrying him easily beside Misty’s fast pace. Misty kept walking.

“Well that’s your choice. You can do whatever you want to but I work three jobs today so get out pretty late and you don’t even know where my last job is,” Misty rushed out in one breath, hiding her appreciation for his kindness, as well as her hidden happiness she did not know she felt.

“Well where do you get off then?” Michael inquired, still following close behind her as she ran through the front door of the building.

“I get off at the café I brought you to last time,” Misty answered before crossing the street. “I can go from here,” Misty told Michael before waving him off.

“You didn’t tell me what time you get off!” Michael yelled to Misty. She was already gone. Michael laughed at her forgetfulness as he turned back to the building.