Status: writing a story is like putting on paper the things you ultimately fantasize or what you want to happen :]

Together Under Our Roof

Loyalty and a Knife

Misty bustled through the double doors, skillfully balancing two trays of drinks as Trisha dodged past Misty into the back with her empty trays.

“Misty, order for table Five!” Dylan hollered from across the room as he raced to another table to take the order of a middle aged man on his way home from work.

“Be right there!” Misty answered as she set the drinks in front of some of her familiar customers. When she got to the table, she politely greeted the guest and took their order. She hurried off to get the order ready.

As the night passed, the customers thinned and Misty was finally able to work at a normal pace.

“Always a bustle on Mondays, isn’t it?” a man commented as Misty set down a smoothie for him. He was a middle aged man named Trevor and he was a regular at the café.

“It really is, but it slows down enough to rest by this time,” Misty said happily to the man.

“Are you alright Misty? You seem a bit down today,” Trevor asked, worried. Misty did not answer and froze momentarily.

Trevor waited for her answer.

“So how was your day Trevor?” Misty asked nervously. Trevor scoffed.

“Don’t turn this away Misty. I asked you a question,” Trevor said sternly. He did not allow Misty to escape. Misty laughed nervously before turning her back to Trevor.

“It’s nothing really,” Misty said, hoping that she could turn the question away from her. Trevor was not convinced.

“Is it a guy problem,” Trevor mocked, probing for an answer.

“No!” Misty exclaimed, almost screaming as she jerked around to face the man. She took a deep breath. “No, it isn’t that,” Misty said calmly. Trevor chuckled lowly.

“Then what is wrong?” He asked sincerely. Misty took a low breath in. she looked up at the man. She could not let the words out. Trisha and Dylan joined the two, pulling a seat by the man.

“What’s going on?” Trisha asked, sensing something wrong with Misty. “I have been meaning to ask you since you came in today.” Dylan nodded as he moved closer to his fiancé.

Misty could not look at them with tears starting to form. She could feel the warmth from these people and her heart lightened as she started crying before them. The three before her did not pry further but just hugged her, comforting her, understanding her tears. They laughed as they held her, making her giggle through gasps of air.

The chimes above the door rang as another customer entered.

“Misty, are you okay!” Michael exclaimed when he saw her tears and the group that surrounded her in an embrace. He sped through the shop over to her, worried about why she was crying.

“Yeah, I’m fine now,” Misty said, wiping tears from her eyes, smiling at the man who worried for her standing before her. She looked up to him. “Thank you,” she said, and then turned to the others, “all of you.”

Everyone only returned her smile.

“So who’s this?” Trevor asked quizzically when Michael had settled down next to him as Misty went to get a drink for Michael.

“Her new roommate,” Trisha whispered secretively with a chuckle, hiding her words from Misty with a raised hand. Trevor’s brows shot up in curiosity. Michael laughed at the reaction.

“So are you the reason for her sorrow?” Trevor teased. Dylan playfully brought out the large knife at the remark. Michael gulped jokingly.

“No, my name is Michael Buckner. I assure you, our relationship is nothing of what you are thinking,” Michael clarified with a low snigger. He took Trevor’s extended hand and greeted the man.

“Well, I am Trevor Troy and I will snap your neck if you hurt her,” Trevor said with a kind smile. Michael only laughed as he realized the importance Misty played in people’s minds.

Misty burst through the doors with a tray of drinks as she set them down for the group. She seemed brighter now that she felt better about herself.

“Do you have your knife out again?” Misty remarked toward Dylan who still held the knife offensively toward Michael. Reluctantly, he clucked his tongue as he out the knife away again. Michael laughed, pointing a mocking finger at Dylan.

“Watch it buddy,” Dylan said, shutting Michael up instantly. Michael hid a smile behind his hand. He looked toward Misty and saw that she too hid a smile.

“So, Misty, you never did tell me what time you get off today,” Michael began.

“She gets off at ten,” Trisha answered before Misty opened her mouth. Michael looked at the clock that hung behind him. It was twenty minutes before she got off.

“That’s a bit late,” Michael said sadly. Misty only walked around cleaning the tables.

Michael leaned in closer to the three before him and said in a low whisper, “If you don’t mind me asking; why does Misty work so much?”

A look of sadness washed over their faces. Trisha and Dylan shared a look before they looked back at Michael. Trevor only sighed deeply, watching Misty with eyes of sympathy.

“I don’t think we are in the position to be the ones to tell you why Michael,” Trisha finally said after a long moment of silence. “If you could, I think it would be best if you helped her and wait to see if or when she’ll tell you.”

“Please help her Michael, because she is someone different,” Dylan added. Trisha’s eyes began to water as Dylan’s hand shot around her shoulders. “Not now Trisha, not in front of Misty,” he urged, helping her into the back, behind the double doors. Trevor stayed silent.

Michael looked to where Trevor watched Misty wiping down a table, a smile on her face as she picked up a five dollar tip off of a table with a flower that was next to it. Michael again wondered what the girl, who seemed so much like a child and an adult at the same time, was hiding from him. He could not picture her going something difficult. He just wanted to pick her up and lock her away in a tower, making her happy so that she was always smiling and not working all the time, and not being bullied, so that he would never see her tears.

“Michael, what are you looking at?” Misty chimed, popping up next to him as he stared at the area she was just standing. He snapped out of his thoughts and turned to Misty.

“Nothing, I was just thinking about something,” Michael said happily, keeping the urge to hug her and tell her he would make her happy forever, hidden.

“You’re weird,” Misty said, giggling as she skipped to the kitchen to get a vase for the flower she had gotten. Michael clenched his hands, watching her as she moved away from him, disappearing from his sights.

“She’s opening up to you,” Trevor said suddenly, making Michael jump. Trevor chuckled.

“I don’t think she is. She’s scared of me,” Michael returned sadly.

“She doesn’t smile before people she isn’t comfortable with,” Trevor informed. “Her smile is something only she shows to those she trusts. It’s warming to see her smile to someone new.” He smiled at the thought.

Michael felt a pull in his stomach. To think he was someone special to Misty made him happy. He wanted to be her support. He wanted to help this small, broken, adorable girl.

Misty bounded out of the door, jacket at hand and a troubled face plastered on her face as she looked behind her to where Trisha was.

“Trisha’s crying,” Misty said, troubled.

“Don’t worry about it. Dylan can take care of her,” Trevor reassured her. “Just get home and have some dinner. You deserve it,” he said, pushing her toward the door with Michael.

“But Trisha never cries,” Misty urged. Trevor only waved her off.

Reluctantly, Misty left with Michael, worried for her friend. Michael tried to lighten the mood.

“So, what’s for dinner?” he asked. Misty did not seem to hear him, still walking as she thought of what Trisha was sad about. Noticing her worry, Michael took a few steps before coming up in front of Misty, causing her to walk into his chest.

“Where did you come from,” Misty said, alarmed.

“I asked you what was for dinner,” Michael said, his voice stern but his face worried.

“Oh, right,” Misty said, trailing off as she wondered what they would have for dinner, Trisha’s tears still flickering in her mind. Michael brought his hands up to her shoulders, placing them gently on her small shoulders.

“Misty, Trisha will be fine. She has a man like Dylan. Don’t worry about it. Tomorrow, she’ll be back to the happy woman she is,” Michael said quietly. Misty nodded, still doubtful. Michael held firm, knowing that she was too kind to just give up easily on Trisha. “Look at me Misty.”

Misty lifted her head to meet Michael’s eyes. There, she saw the friendly order behind the worry he felt for her. He felt worried for her. Her stomach fluttered.

“I’m sorry, but it’s Trisha. She never cries,” she explained. Michael sighed.

“I know Misty. Let’s just leave it to Dylan for now,” Michael urged, not wanting her to know that she was the cause for Trisha’s saddened tears.

“Alright,” Misty agreed hesitantly.

“Alright,” Michael returned. “Okay, so now, how about I make dinner for you tonight?” Misty raised her eyebrows, shock registering into her face. “What? I can cook,” Michael retorted, laughing at her priceless face.

“Are you sure?” Misty returned playfully. “I want to be able to sleep on a full stomach tonight.” Michael scoffed, making Misty give a look of challenge. Michael took the challenge.
♠ ♠ ♠
i wish i had me a MICHAEL >.<