Status: writing a story is like putting on paper the things you ultimately fantasize or what you want to happen :]

Together Under Our Roof

What in the World Just Happened?

“What do you mean this is your home,” Misty asked Michael as she stumbled to the couch.
Michael eyed Misty, watching her as she moved clumsily to the couch. He studied her. She was small, almost insignificant. She was slim and was ordinary, the everyday girl you would overlook if you were to walk past her. She looked slim, barely a stick. She had black hair, sleek and soft looking, and dark blue eyes that seem calm. Michael could not take his eyes off of her eyes as she tried to puzzle together pieces of the situation.

Misty lifted her head, looking at Michael with troubled eyes. She stared at him, looking at him with eyes of question. Michael was caught off guard.

“What do you mean –,” Misty started, but was cut off when Michael put up a hand.

“I’m sorry. I paid rent for this apartment,” he said in a matter-of-factly tone.

“You paid rent?” Misty was confused, but was on her feet and out the door in seconds. Michael jumped up after her, grabbing her arm before she was out the door.

“Where are you going?” Michael asked, surprised by her sudden jump. Misty whipped around, a determined look plastered on her small round face.

“I’m going to go look for the landlord. We need to straighten this out,” she stated sternly before jerking her arm out of Michael’s grip. Michael chased after Misty as she strode through the creaky halls. She stomped down the stairs, turning corners. Michael had no trouble following her tiny steps. He effortlessly covered her tracks as she stubbornly looked for the landlord.

“Miba! Ms. Miba!” Misty exclaimed repeatedly when she stood before an office door. She knocked on the door, softly at first but when no one answered, she started to knock harder on the door. After a while, the door opened up to reveal a short and stout old woman. She was very weak looking and was very old. Her white hair was pulled back in a loose bun and thick lens glasses were perched on her small button nose.

“Well hello there darling, don’t you look good tonight,” the old woman greeted. Misty watched the woman as she invited Misty and Michael into the office, offering them a cup of tea before seating them before her desk. “And what seems to be the problem darling?” Ms. Miba asked when she had settled a cup into each of her guests’ hands.

“Ms. Miba, I think you may have accidentally rented out my apartment to this man,” Misty stated, quick and to the point. She waited for Ms. Miba’s response as she slowly mixed her tea before looking up at Misty. Ms. Miba looked at Misty and then turned her head to Michael who sat with his eyes on her, indifferent. Slowly, she got up from behind her desk and walked to a cabinet by her desk.

She pulled out a large stool and struggled to lift herself onto the stool, grunting loudly as she did so. Misty and Michael looked at each other, contemplating whether or not they should help the little woman. Their thoughts were interrupted when Ms. Miba let out a small sigh as she successfully lifted herself onto the stool.

Reaching into the top cabinet, Ms. Miba pulled out a small file. Once she confirmed that it was the right file, she climbed off the stool with more ease than when she had climbed onto the stool. Slowly, she made her way back to desk, settling herself once again before the two.

When at her desk, she feebly open the file and examined the papers at a measured pace. After minutes of several “uh-huh”, “I see”, and “well”, Ms. Miba looked up at the two. For a moment, she only stared at the two who were now watching the old woman intently, agitated by the long wait. Ms. Miba looked from one face to the other.

“My, what could the tow of you be doing in my office?” she questioned the two before her. Misty and Michael’s mouths fell agape. Misty took a steady breath.

“Ms. Miba, we were here about the issue with my apartment. It seems as if you have rented it out without my consent and I would like for it to be straightened out immediately,” Misty explained.

“Ms. Miba, I do not mind taking my money back and moving to another location,” Michael assured the old woman. Misty looked at Michael in surprise.

“Really, are you sure?” Misty exclaimed in surprise.

“I think that may be a bit difficult there deary,” Ms. Miba interrupted. She looked at the two regretfully.

“Is there a problem?” Misty asked cautiously.

“It seems that I used your money to pay some of the bills for the building,” she said apologetically.

Michael looked at the woman in surprise.

“But then what am I supposed to do? I gave you enough money for three months of rent in advance,” Michael exclaimed, taken aback. He looked at Ms. Miba, looking for something that told him she was only joking. He found none.
She only folded her hand before her and looked down at her desk.

“I am truly sorry about the mix up,” she apologized. Michael slumped back into his seat, his head buried deep into his hands. Misty watched with sympathy for the man but could not say anything to ease the weight off of his shoulders.

“Do you have anywhere to go?” Ms. Miba asked meekly. Michael looked up through his fingers and sighed heavily.

“No, no I don’t. I just moved here and I don’t really know anybody around here,” he said regretfully. He scolded himself for stupidly giving away three months’ worth of rent.

“I am truly sorry, but I can’t really do much for you at the moment,” Ms. Miba said sadly. Suddenly, she snapped her head toward Misty, a hopeful glare bursting in her eyes.
Misty was caught off guard, struck speechless by Ms. Miba’s sudden change in direction.

“Misty, darling. May I ask a favor of you?” Ms. Miba said, a suspicious smile forming around the corners of her mouth. Misty stared at the Ms. Miba, guarded about what would be asked of her. She reluctantly nodded.

“I would like it if you could house Mr. Buckner as a guest for three months. I kno –,” she said, stopping only when she saw the dumbfounded look that dominated the looks of the two. Misty was wide eyed and mouth agape. Michael was just as surprised as Misty, his face frozen into a stiff mask of surprise. Ms. Miba looked from one to the other, too afraid of continuing her request, but still continued none the less.

“I know this is a lot to ask of you Ms. Ames but I do not wish to kick out someone I have wronged,” she finished. Misty could not contemplate the request fully.

“I would love to help Ms. Miba, b – but I don’t think it is very – very appropriate,” Misty stuttered as she tried to grasp what was being asked of her. Michael looked at Misty, running through his mind what he should and needed to do. He looked at Ms. Miba, confusion clouding his brain.

“Ms. Miba, I agree with Misty. I cannot just intrude on her like this,” he argued. Ms. Miba only glared at the two.

“You hush now. You know for a fact that you have nowhere to go and I refuse to put you on the streets without a home when it was my brain that committed this mix up,” she retorted. She dared Michael to fight back but Michael did not have the guts to do so. He only looked down in shame. Ms. Miba turned once again towards Misty.

“I know this is very hard to accept but I really do hope that you could help me. I am sure you understand my dilemma. He did rent out the apartment and he doesn’t have a home. Please take pity on him in my place,” Ms. Miba pleaded. Misty looked into Ms. Miba’s eyes, thinking of a reasonable excuse to politely keep this strange man from moving in with her. Without an excuse, she reluctantly agreed.

“Alright, I’ll share the apartment with him, but only until you can provide him with his money,” she said hurriedly under her breath, barely audible. Michael looked up in surprise, bewilderment in his eyes. Flushed, Misty turned away from the man she would now be living with.

Ms. Miba breathed a sigh of relief before she thanked Misty. In minutes, Misty and Michael were shooed out of the room and on their way up to their apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
whoa! i am tired o.O please comment and follow the rest of the story.