Status: writing a story is like putting on paper the things you ultimately fantasize or what you want to happen :]

Together Under Our Roof

Smile

Misty carried the canvas home, having difficulty as it was almost more than half her size. She quit the school’s vicinity, scurrying home to show Michael the drawing she had decided to give him, as thanks for everything he had done for her. She was not sure if it was an appropriate gift, and was not even sure if he would even like it, but she would not know unless she tried.

When she finally got home, Misty found the apartment empty. She placed the painting carefully on the couch and went into the kitchen for a drink, knowing that the rat would not come out in the light. On the refrigerator, she found a small note from Michael.

In small messy handwriting, Michael had written that he had gone out to the store for rat traps or something that would rid them of the rat and also went to go look for a job, and would be back in several hours. Misty smile at the paper and placed it back on the refrigerator and went to go change for work.

When Misty went into the room, Misty noticed that the bed was made in a very neat and precise way, better than her own careless work. She had left Michael in the room by himself this morning and had not made the bed that morning. Misty had not taken Michael as a neat person. Blushing as she thought of that morning and the night before, Misty rushed to her closet and got ready for work.

It would be half an hour before her first shift so Misty decided to do get something to eat. When she looked into the refrigerator, she saw that, again, it was empty. Sighing, she grabbed her wallet and backpack and headed for the door. Quickly, she made her way to the market and rushed her way home to restock the refrigerator, and making a quick sandwich for her short trip to the burger shack.

♀♂

Michael slung the plastic bag over his shoulder, breathing in the cold city musk as he stood between the towering buildings. Michael wore a suit and tie, his hair gelled back in a nice sleek. Michael was an hour away from the quiet town where Misty was, searching the available jobs in the city.

Michael smiled brightly as the energy rose in him. He had just come out from an interview with a big building company on the corner of Seventh Street. Michael had been so nervous but after the interview with Café Prince Company, Michael was excited to hear back from the president.
Michael walked aimlessly, happiness taking over his mind.

Suddenly, Michael was awakened by a loud honk, bringing him back to the darkness he had walked into. Michael immediately froze as he realized where he was. The walls on either side of him started moving in closer, shrinking the space around him. The darkness grew suffocating.

Michael stumbled against the wall, supporting his body as his head spun. Michael tried to shake the memory of his younger years as they faded back into his mind. His breathing grew short, his vision going blurry as the horrid memories returned.

He moved down deeper into the darkness, coming to an old dumpster. Michael stood by the edge of the large crate, staring at the dark corner it hid. Michael crouched down, unconsciously sliding into the little crevice, remembering the only warm embrace he knew as a child.

Another loud honk made Michael come to his senses. Michael opened his eyes, to see his self crouched in a dirty corner, cradling his body. Michael’s eyes grew wide and Michael ran from the darkness, bursting into the bright sun as a cold wind chilled his cold sweat. Michael tried to take big breaths without success, choking on his heart as he was sure it was trying to leap put from his throat.

As people walked pass and stared at Michael, he slouched against a building wall, ducking his head as he ignored these people. He closed his eyes and tried to push the broken memories away.

When his heart slowed to a regular pace and Michael had finally forgotten what he had remembered, Michael was again happily on his way home to Misty.

♀♂

When Michael got to the front of the building, it was about time that Misty was to be home. As Michael approached the front doors, he spotted her small figure, walking slowly in front of him, dragging herself up the stairs.

With a grin, Michael quietly made his way toward Misty. She did not seem to hear Michael as he approached her. This made Michael smirk as he lifted her in his arms with a great sweep, laughing as she kicked and screamed.

Suddenly, Michael was hit with a strong fist which was followed by terrified screams and cries. Michael saw Misty’s tears drop in the street lamp’s dim light.

“Misty?” Michael asked as he dodged her attacks, his voice gentle as he refused to put her down, afraid that she would run away.

“Let go of me, you creep!” Misty demanded from the stranger who had ambushed her.

Michael hushed Misty nicely, gently holding back her swinging arms with a free hand.

“It’s me, Michael,” Michael whispered in her ear. “I didn’t mean to scare you,” he apologized softly, smoothing Misty’s hair as her cries started to subside.

“Michael! You scared the fuck out of me!” Misty screamed as more tears rolled down her cheeks.

She struck at Michael, angry that he had attacked her by surprise. Her fists trembled with each hit and soon, Misty could not thrust at Michael anymore. As the tears streamed and a lump formed in her throat, Misty dug her face into Michael’s warm chest to hide her tears, and clung tightly onto the man.

“I sorry,” Michael sang with remorse as he held the trembling little girl.

“Just – just don’t do it again,” Misty begged in a trembling voice. “Now put me down,” she demanded.

“No,” Michael said firmly. He started moving Misty into a cradling position, forcibly laying her head back onto his chest as he started walking up the stairs.

“What are you doing? Let me go,” Misty strained. Michael only laughed.

“Come on, you must be tired after work,” Michael urged, continuing up the stairs. Misty struggled in his arms but gave up when she felt he was not going to give her a break.

Michael opened the door to the apartment, setting Misty down once he closed the door behind them. Michael walked into the living room, ready to make some dinner. When he got to the couch, he spotted the painting. It took him by surprise at first but the beautiful colors took his breath away.

“Did you make this?” Michael asked in awe. Misty gasped.

“Um – yeah,” Misty said nervously, finally remembering Michael’s gift. “It’s for you, as a thank you.”

“A thank you for what?” Michael asked, puzzled. He analyzed the painting, amazed by the intricate lines and swirls.

“For everything,” Misty blurted. Michael smiled.

“You didn’t have to do this, but thank you. It is really amazing,” Michael sighed happily. “You have some serious talent,” he praised, unable to get the words out to say how beautiful the piece is.

“Um – yeah,” Misty said, embarrassed. Michael stood, sensing her discomfort to his comment.

“I mean it,” Michael insisted. Misty nodded, hoping that that would get Michael to back off. Michael frowned. “Misty, please have some more enthusiasm.”

Misty sighed and looked away. Michael sighed and walked over to Misty.

“Look at me,” Michael ordered. Reluctantly, Misty turned around to face Michael.

“What?” Misty asked hesitantly. Michael moved closer.

“Smile,” Michael said in a stern tone.

“What?” Misty asked confused.

“Smile for me,” Michael ordered. Confused and embarrassed, Misty ducked her head down, a smile breaking out secretly behind her fallen hair, wiping away the smile. “Did I just see a smile?” Michael asked sarcastically, ducking under to look up at Misty’s hidden face.

“No,” Misty defended herself.

“Liar,” Michael teased with a grin. Misty said nothing in return. “Well, how about we start dinner then,” Michael suggested happily, lightheaded by Misty’s shy smile.

“Yay, food!” Misty exclaimed unconsciously.

Michael chuckled because of her childishness, and started toward the kitchen, setting the rat traps before he began dinner preparations.

“Oh, you got the traps too! Are they humane?” Misty exclaimed excitedly.

“Yes they are,” Michael snickered.
♠ ♠ ♠
smiling is probably the most important thing to me. a genuin smile can change everything