Status: writing a story is like putting on paper the things you ultimately fantasize or what you want to happen :]

Together Under Our Roof

Shut up!

“Um – Michael? What happened to the bathroom door?” Misty called from the bathroom.

“I kind of knocked it down when I came in to get you out of the shower,” Michael answered back.

“Well how am I supposed to use the bathroom?” Misty retorted. Michael went silent. In a few minutes, Michael came up to Misty with a spare sheet he found and two nails and a hammer from under the sink.

“Sorry,” Michael said shyly. “I didn’t really think about that when I knocked it down.”

Misty laughed at Michael’s childish manner of guilt and waved away the apology.

“You did it to save me,” Misty argued. “It’s fine.”

Michael hammered the nails into the sheet while Misty held the cloth up over the door. After they were done, Michael went downstairs to tell Mrs. Miba about his little accident. Misty urged him to keep it a secret that he burst through the door because she was unconscious.

Misty quickly finished her business in the bathroom and made her way to her room to get ready for bed. By the time she was done, Michael was back in the apartment and getting ready for bed too.

Although was reluctant to let Michael sleep with her again, especially after he saw her naked, she knew that he would never go back outside until the rat was gone. Misty pulled the blankets and pillows around her and made herself a high standing barrier.

Michael was also reluctant to go in to sleep with the helpless girl again but he was even unwilling to walk calmly at night outside of the room. He knew the rat would return and until he did, he would not risk its sinking teeth and claws, riddled with disease.

Michael cautiously crept into the room and slowly made his way to the bed.

“Sorry to intrude again,” Michael whispered as he crept under the blankets, avoiding contact with Misty.

“It’s okay,” Misty answered in the same whisper. She moved farther away from Michael and Michael settled himself far from her. Even so, the barrier and the space did little to separate them.

Silence again broke between them, awkward air rising up around them.

“So where did you go today?” Misty asked shakily, uncomfortable with the silence. Michael almost jumped from the sudden question.

Michael turned over to answer her question. His movements made Misty’s heart stop and jump into action, her breath catching in her throat. Misty moved closer to the edge of the bed.

“I went to an interview,” Michael answered. His voice was riveting, his fresh, minty breath lingering in the air between Misty and Michael. Misty felt the hot breath on her lips, tasting him with each word. “I think I may have a job soon,” he said excitedly.

“Yeah?” Misty whispered. “Where is it?” Misty asked, the minty air making her lightheaded.

“It’s on Seventh Street,” Michael said proudly.

“Wow, the big city,” Misty praised. “You’re going big!”

“If I get the job,” Michael scoffed, embarrassed by her praise.

“You will,” Misty encouraged.

“Yeah?” Michael grinned, “And what will you be? A painter?” Michael probed.

Misty blushed under the darkness, unable to say anything.

“I’m not sure actually,” Misty finally answered, unsure of what she actually would be now that she thought of it.

“I’m sure you’ll get there. But I sure hope you do something with that talent of yours,” Michael suggested. Misty only laughed.

“That’s ridiculous, how can art get me any money. I’m not good enough and even if I am, it’s not like a job will come flying out of my butt,” Misty argued, waving away the thought of using her art for a living.

“You never know, and it’s not like you only have to work on the streets. You can be a graphic designer or something,” Michael urged, unwilling to let her talent go unappreciated by the artist in her.

“It just doesn’t seem pliable,” Misty sighed, “and it’s not like I really have a future.”

“Why not?” Michael exclaimed suddenly, making Misty jump up. “Sorry,” Michael quickly apologized. “You aren’t giving yourself the credit you need,” Michael said in a lower voice. Misty shook her head.

“I’m a girl living alone. Where do you think I can go?” Misty almost screamed.

“Just believe in yourself would you!” Michael boomed.

“Why should I?” Misty exclaimed, now sitting up as she angrily looked at Michael. “What makes you think you know anything about me? How do you know I will be someone?” Misty accused. Michael was now sitting up too, facing Misty.

“Why can’t you be more confident?” Michael exclaimed.

“And why don’t you just mind your own business!” Misty exclaimed, pushing Michael away.

Instinctively, Michael grabbed her wrist tightly and shoved her back, his grip on her never leaving.

“Let go of me!” Misty screeched, clawing at his hand. Immediately, Michael let go, angry brewing. Fuming, Misty laid back down angrily, covering herself with the blankets as she ignored Michael.

Michael became frustrated by Misty’s reaction. He had merely tried to encourage her but what she gave back was not something he believed was appreciative. Too tired to care anymore, Michael flumped down under the blankets and tried to go to sleep but was unable to.

For the rest of the night, neither Misty nor Michael could fall asleep, angry at each other and growing frustrated as the night grew longer.
♠ ♠ ♠
hmmmmm idk... comment!