‹ Prequel: Untangle Me
Status: Completed!

Listen To Your Heart

Cause and Effect

I woke up the next morning with a slight headache, but nothing a little coffee wouldn’t fix. I lifted John’s arm from around me and sat up, turning to look at him. He looked so peaceful; he always did in his sleep. His chest rose and fell in a harmonious rhythm and a light snore escaped his slightly parted lips. I sighed and stood from his bed, grabbing my phone from my back pocket. I had a few messages from AJ, Mary, and Pat all asking where I disappeared to. I shook my head, knowing this was going to be hard to explain. ‘Oh, where was I? Well, I was with John. In his bed. We slept together. No, not that kind of sleeping together. But we did make out. No, we’re not back together.’ Yeah, that was going to be a fun conversation.
I smoothed out my shirt before quietly going to the door and leaving John’s room, careful not to wake him. I heard no noise coming from the apartment, so I went quietly to the living room to see multiple people lying in various places around the room still asleep. Some of the guy’s crew were passed out on the floor, one even on the kitchen counter. I saw Jared and his girlfriend Tessa cuddled together on one of the couches. I assumed that Mary was with Kenny in his room, and Lauren was with Garrett in his. On the other couch, Pat was sleeping in the sitting position with AJ cuddled up beside him. Her head was on his shoulder, while his head rested on hers. To be honest, it was pretty adorable, so I quickly took a picture with my phone. It could be in their wedding slideshow. No one else from work was around so I assumed they all went home. I didn’t want to wake anyone up, so I decided to go back to my apartment and come back later to help clean up. But I didn’t want anyone to freak out because I was gone, so I quickly wrote a note telling everyone I went back to the apartment and would be back later and left it next to Pat and AJ. I silently escaped back to my apartment and immediately made myself a cup of coffee. Once I finished, I took a long, hot shower before getting dressed and putting on a bit of makeup, not worrying about doing my hair. I poured myself a bowl of cereal and ate while standing against the kitchen counter. Once I finished I saw that it was about 12:30 and decided to head back to the guys’ place, thinking people would have started waking up. I put my bowl in the sink, grabbed my phone, slipped on my shoes and was at the guys place in no time. I heard commotion inside, so I let myself in. Everyone was awake and roaming around aside from the guy still passed out on the kitchen counter. I went over to AJ and Pat who were still on the couch, talking.
“Hey guys!” I smiled at them, plopping down next to AJ.
“Holy crap! Where have you been!? We looked for you all night!” AJ scolded me, her tone exasperated.
“Sorry! I got sidetracked! I hope that Pat kept you company in my absence?” I asked, looking at Pat, who blushed lightly.
“Yes. He did. It was very sweet of him. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that I was worried sick about you!” She said.
“Aw. That’s sweet. But no need to worry, I was here all night.” I told them.
“Where? We looked around.” Pat asked, joining the conversation.
“Um… with John.” I said calmly.
“What!?” They both gasped at once.
“Maybe we should talk about this another time. Right now, I’m going to go make coffee for everyone.” I said quickly before getting up and hurrying to the kitchen. I made a pot of coffee and distributed cups to anyone that looked like they needed it. I used the last of the pot to pour a cup for John, adding sugar and milk the way he liked it. I took the cup to his room and opened the door, peaking my head in. He was still asleep but I figured he’d had enough rest by now, so I went in and put the cup down on his nightstand before sitting bedside him on the bed.
“John.” I said softly, shaking him gently. “John, wake up. I made you coffee.” I told him. I saw his eyes twitch until they finally fluttered open, squinting at the light, which caused him to groan.
“What time is it?” He mumbled, covering his eyes.
“About 1. Here, sit up so you can drink your coffee.” I commanded, helping him as he pulled his lanky body up. I handed him the coffee and watched as he took a sip.
“Thank you.” He said, staring down at his coffee. “For everything. And I’m sorry, for anything stupid I may have done last night. I only remember pieces.”
“No problem. And don’t worry. You didn’t do anything too idiotic last night.” I said, standing up from his bed. “Finish that coffee and then get a shower. You look horrible.” I told him before going to the door. I had it opened and was about to leave when he spoke.
“Um, Jamie? Can I ask you something?” He asked. I nodded. “Was it just a dream or did we kiss last night?” He asked. I paused before answering.
“Yeah. We did.” I said before leaving the room and closing the door behind me. I got back into the living room in time to see some of the guys pushing the poor guy on counter off of it, causing him to hit the floor with a thud. That woke him up. I shook my head with a smirk and walked over to AJ.
“Hey stranger.” I smiled.
“Hey! You need to stop disappearing. I was looking for you to tell you I’m gonna head out.” She said.
“Aww, okay. I’m sorry we didn’t get to hang out. But we’ll make up for it I’m sure. You know, if you can find time for me in between flirting with Pat.” I grinned.
“Oh shut up!” She hushed, swatting my arm. “And don’t think you’re off the hook about telling me about John. We’re having lunch tomorrow and you are spilling your guts, and don’t try to get out of it.” She smirked. “Call you later.” She said before making her way out the door. I just shook my head and already started thinking of ways to get out of it. I started to walk towards the couches when someone grabbed my arm and spun me around. I was left face to face with Pat.
“I saw you talking to AJ. Did she say anything about me?” He asked quickly.
“Woah. Slow down boy.” I told him, putting my hands up.
“Sorry.” He sighed. “I just was wondering.”
“And why is that?” I smirked. “Is it maybe because our little birthday boy has a crush?”
“You’re so annoying.” He grumbled.
“I’m only annoying cause I’m right.” I grinned. “God I’m such a matchmaker and I don’t even try. It was like flirt city last night. You’re welcome for leaving you two alone. You were quite cute together. Oh! And look at you guys sleeping!” I said, pulling out my phone and quickly showing him the picture.
“You took a picture of us! Creeper!” He said.
“You’ll thank me later.” I smiled. “Now, did you get her number?”
“Uh, no.” He looked down.
“No!? Why the hell not?” I scolded.
“Because I’m not very good at this kind of thing!” He admitted.
“Well how do you expect to ever see her again?” I asked.
“Um… with my amazing best friend’s help?” He smiled innocently.
“Ugh fine. And keep up with the flattery, it works.” I smirked.
“Yes! Thank you! Thank you!” He grinned, attacking me in a hug.
“Okay, Pat. I can’t breath.” I gasped.
“Oh, sorry! I’m just so happy. This was the best birthday ever!” He smiled.
“I’m glad I could be of service.” I smiled.
“Uh, hey Jamie? Can I talk to you?” A voice called from behind me. I spun around to see John at the entrance to the hallway, his hair wet from a shower, leaning against the wall.
“Um, yeah.” I nodded, turning back to Pat. “I’ll be right back, I guess.” I told him before walking over to John, who led me into his bedroom and shut the door.
“So my shower kind of jogged my memory some about last night and I just wanted to make sure we’re okay.” He asked.
“We’re fine.” I told him. “Promise.”
“Alright, good. So nothing’s changed? We’re in the same place we were before?” He asked.
“More or less.” I answered.
“Alright, fair enough. And just to make sure once again, there is nothing going on with that guy you kissed last night?” He asked.
“Well not that it’s really any of your business, but he kissed me and no, there is nothing going on.” I told him.
“You’re right. I’m sorry. None of my business. We’re just… friends.” He said, more to himself than me.
“Right. Now, I’m going to start cleaning up, even though it isn’t my apartment. I’m just that nice. I advise you to get Kenny and Garrett and help.” I told him before opening the door and leaving. I sighed to myself on the walk back to the living room. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a trash bag and continued my conversation with Pat as I picked up trash.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys. So I'm kinda really disappointed with the lack of comments. I've been writing so much lately and I feel like I do all this work for barely any reward. Yes, your comments are my reward, so reward me! It gives me motivation. And the more comments I get, the quicker I'll post :]
Anyways so I think Pat and AJ are adorable. You'll be seeing more of them :]
Jamie seems to be warming up to John. She told him the incident won't affect their relationship... but we'll see about that.
As always, enjoy and be sure to comment!